Fuel Line for 1970 Duster 340

-

TommyP

Reaction score
I purchased a 1970 Duster 340 4 speed and the fuel lines have been messed with. So I was needing to know what size the fuel lines came on the car from the factory, since I'm putting it back to factory specs. Was it the 5/16 or 3/8 from the fuel tank? I plan on doing a factory restoration and have it more as a cruiser. Please bestow all of your wisdom upon me. Thanks Tom

They look just like this. :) This is from my 1972 Dart. They come out in one piece if you take your time.

20181221_203847.jpg

Tom I have seen these old carburetor cars having starting problems when dead ending the fuel with ethanol blend in these cars.
When shutting the car off and going to restart it a couple of minutes later the car seams flooded. It is boiling fuel not closing the needle under pressure.

Fuel injected cars do not have this problem. There should always be a return after the pump but before the carburetor.

I had problems with my Duster when running pump gas. They sell two different regulators for this reason. One installed on the pressure side. And then they have one for the return side . What a difference when you have a return. 71 and 72 have a vent line that runs forward. I have been using this vent line with a 73 tank and a 70 style fuel neck for the vent tube. You can ad the factory looking return to an a-body. I had added the return on my Duster with braided -8 What a difference it made on my car.

This can be done on street cars with factory lines and tank using a fuel filter that has the return built in. This filter has a return off the side you would run to the 71-72 vent line back to the 73 tank. Vent the tank with the 70 style vent on the tube which can be made.

Below are pictures of my system before and after. You would not believe the difference with fresh cold fuel circulating before the bowls. This same system can be made to look factory with factory parts as described. Works for me!

Steve 107.JPG

DSCN1688.jpg

I purchased a 1970 Duster 340 4 speed and the fuel lines have been messed with. So I was needing to know what size the fuel lines came on the car from the factory, since I'm putting it back to factory specs. Was it the 5/16 or 3/8 from the fuel tank? I plan on doing a factory restoration and have it more as a cruiser. Please bestow all of your wisdom upon me. Thanks Tom
Fuel line was 3/8 from the tank to the carb.

Everything I looked at shows 5/16 plus I’m taking Steve’s advice about the return line and if anyone should know, it would be him. He has over 45 years of playing with these cars

My Duster was 340 factory car, now sports a 440

It does have the 5/16" gas line.......should I go with the 3/8"?

I need a new tank and lines anyways........ Just wasn't sure what size to do

-
Back