Fuel mileage. Stroker vs. stock stroke

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
I've been contemplating building a stroker for my Cuda ever since I first rode in a stroked Dart of a buddy's. The power was awesome considering it wasn't all that radical. No more radical than my 360 is now. I just wonder how the fuel mileage would compare against a standard stroke 360. If I do build a stroker I figure I can run a much taller gear which would help the mileage also. I have a good 3.23 SG center I can pop in.

Right now here's my combo and the results:

360+.030
9.9-1 compression.
Massaged X heads that flow 250 cfm with decent low lift numbers
Lunati 60404 cam, 234@.050 and .513 lift int, 242@.050 and .533 lift Exh.
RPM Air gap intake
Hooker super comps
750 vac. sec. holley.
3,000 stall
4.10 gears with a 27 inch tall tire

It actually doesn't get terrible mileage considering the gears. Average is 11 mpg. If I take it easy it'll get 14.

Also note that if I do build the stroker I will most likely use the same induction system I'm using on the 360 now.

What does everybody think? Would love to hear from some guys running strokers.

Also right now it runs 12.80's. What do you guys think it'll run like with a stroker and 3.23 gears?

There is a simple formula, to figure out fuel mileage potential;
to make More Power, need more Energy to make the power.. ;)

E=M/C 2

After you make the engine more efficent, and then make the drivertrain
more efficent, after a point,
then it becomes more difficult to gain fuel mileage.

You want fuel economy, go with 2.93 gears and a 225 /6
witha 4 speed o/d.

You want a stroker to fry the tires? Keep the gears you have. :)

You want a good fuel mileage, and lotsa power,
look at a New Charger, Chrysler 300 with the Hemi. :)

http://www.chrysler.com/en/2008/300/driving_dynamics/fuel_system/
Lee

I've been contemplating building a stroker for my Cuda ever since I first rode in a stroked Dart of a buddy's. The power was awesome considering it wasn't all that radical. No more radical than my 360 is now. I just wonder how the fuel mileage would compare against a standard stroke 360. If I do build a stroker I figure I can run a much taller gear which would help the mileage also. I have a good 3.23 SG center I can pop in.

Right now here's my combo and the results:

360+.030
9.9-1 compression.
Massaged X heads that flow 250 cfm with decent low lift numbers
Lunati 60404 cam, 234@.050 and .513 lift int, 242@.050 and .533 lift Exh.
RPM Air gap intake
Hooker super comps
750 vac. sec. holley.
3,000 stall
4.10 gears with a 27 inch tall tire

It actually doesn't get terrible mileage considering the gears. Average is 11 mpg. If I take it easy it'll get 14.

Also note that if I do build the stroker I will most likely use the same induction system I'm using on the 360 now.

What does everybody think? Would love to hear from some guys running strokers.

Also right now it runs 12.80's. What do you guys think it'll run like with a stroker and 3.23 gears?

There is a simple formula, to figure out fuel mileage potential;
to make More Power, need more Energy to make the power.. ;)

E=M/C 2

After you make the engine more efficent, and then make the drivertrain
more efficent, after a point,
then it becomes more difficult to gain fuel mileage.

You want fuel economy, go with 2.93 gears and a 225 /6
witha 4 speed o/d.

You want a stroker to fry the tires? Keep the gears you have. :)

You want a good fuel mileage, and lotsa power,
look at a New Charger, Chrysler 300 with the Hemi. :)

http://www.chrysler.com/en/2008/300/driving_dynamics/fuel_system/
Lee

Thanks for the input Lee. Just to clarify I didn't mean it to sound like I was just looking for great gas mileage by installing a stroker and a taller gear. Nor did I think I could make my car magically get 20 mpg and run 11 sec. 1/4's. I'm just looking for a small mileage improvement (2-4 mpg would be nice) and similar performance to what I have now. With a stroker you get alot more torque so running a taller gear shouldn't be a problem I was thinking. I mentioned the 3.23 gear only because I have an extra 3rd member all set up with that gear. Also I've allways heard a square or over square engine is more fuel efficent so I was thinking the stroker may be more efficient due to that but I was looking from input from actual stroker owners to see if that is actually the result.

While I would love to just go out and purchase a new Hemi car it's just not in the budget. Also I don't want to get rid of the Cuda. Just improve on it.

with stroker combo like the 360 with 3.23s= 12.80ET.
my suggestion would be to comprimise and go to 3.55 gear change w/27" tires and pick up some mileage . I doubt you would lose a 1/10th. - or get a set of 26" slicks for the track and you will still run 12.80s - or less.

Gearing, powerband, combustion efficiency, weight, and to an extent aerodynamics are the factors that are going to affect mileage. Get a good closed-chamber head (with well-smoothed edges in the combustion chamber), as high compression as is possible on pump gas, a mild cam (for the displacement you're looking at... that makes a difference), single-plane intake (dual plane will just slow you down in the top end unless it's REALLY big), and finally a Thermo-Quad would give you the best mileage (although an Eddy Thunder/Performer 4-bbl would probably be more appropriate for your application). Then go with a rear-end ratio or overdrive tranny that would spin your engine at a speed within the torque curve (preferably near peak torque).

-
Back