Fuel Problem - Carter BBS!?

-

Schyrjajew

Reaction score
Hello
Greetings from Switzerland.
I have now almost completely restored my Valiant (/6 170cui), unfortunately I still have a problem with the fuel system.
When I operate the starter it takes ages until the engine starts, or it doesn't start at all.
When I pour gasoline into the carburetor, it runs until the gasoline is used up.
The fuel pump is new, so is the line from the pump to the carburetor.
When I disconnect the line from the carburetor and operate the starter, gasoline comes out.

I suspect that the carburetor is not letting in the gasoline. Is it possible to adjust somewhere how much fuel flows into the carburetor? But the fuel filter is usually not really filled with a lot of gasoline.
In my opinion it must be something with the carburetor. The pump is new and gasoline is coming out, even if not toooo much.

Just a thought or two:

Could the float be stuck?
Is there pressure in the fuel line?
Is there a "bronze" fuel filter in the carb...where the fuel line connects?
Try to reset your mixture screws at about a turn and a half.

Best of luck

Michael made some good points.

The amount of fuel in the bowl is controlled by the float acting on the needle. Make sure the needle and seat are in good shape and the internal passages are clean. Including the jet orifice and the bowl vent. Check and adjust the float. Relying on my memory, float specs on the BBS are usually 6-7 mm but you should condult a service manual.
It's a pretty simple carburetor, you should be able to fix this.

-
Back