Fuel problem :/

-

Schyrjajew

Reaction score
Hello
Greetings from Switzerland.
I have now almost completely restored my Valiant (/6 170cui), unfortunately I still have a problem with the fuel system.
When I operate the starter it takes ages until the engine starts, or it doesn't start at all.
When I pour gasoline into the carburetor (Carter BBS), it runs until the gasoline is used up.
The fuel pump is new, so is the line from the pump to the carburetor.
When I disconnect the line from the carburetor and operate the starter, gasoline comes out.

I suspect that the carburetor is not letting in the gasoline. Is it possible to adjust somewhere how much fuel flows into the carburetor? But the fuel filter is usually not really filled with a lot of gasoline.
In my opinion it must be something with the carburetor. The pump is new and gasoline is coming out, even if not toooo much.

Hello
Greetings from Switzerland.
I have now almost completely restored my Valiant (/6 170cui), unfortunately I still have a problem with the fuel system.
When I operate the starter it takes ages until the engine starts, or it doesn't start at all.
When I pour gasoline into the carburetor (Carter BBS), it runs until the gasoline is used up.
The fuel pump is new, so is the line from the pump to the carburetor.
When I disconnect the line from the carburetor and operate the starter, gasoline comes out. I suspect that the carburetor is not letting in the gasoline. Is it possible to adjust somewhere how much fuel flows into the carburetor? But the fuel filter is usually not really filled with a lot of gasoline.
In my opinion it must be something with the carburetor. The pump is new and gasoline is coming out, even if not toooo much.

Hello Schyrjajew,
Sounds like the needle and seat / float issue.
See around 6:30 min and around 9:00 min in the following video.

Also you did state that Fuel comes out of the pump but to confirm that it is not intermittent and that all is in tact from the pump to the tank disconnect the inlet to the pump and connect to a lawn mower type tank and confirm that the pump has output (volume / pressure).
Hope this helps.
happy Mopar :)
Arron

Last edited:
One of your tests you say that you removed the fuel line at the carb and turned the engine over and "gasoline came out". During this test gasoline must flow very well- a lot should come out. I am suspicious from your description that the pump is not delivering enough gas. Is there gas in the tank? Is the sender unit filter clogged? Is the line from tank to pump clear? Is that new pump really working? Is there a filter between the pump and carb? Is it clogged? Good luck.

Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

-
Back