Fuel pump location clarification

-

Cuda416

Reaction score
We installed an electric fuel pump on our 65 Valiant this weekend, in front of the spring perch, on an aluminum plate, mounted to the frame rail. The plate forms a shelf, that the pump is on. The pump is essentially at the same level as the bottom of the rail so it's as low as it's going to get without getting hit by anything. We saw an instructional video showing this method/location and it made sense but after looking at it and reading some more it seems it may be too far away from the tank? I thought it was supposed to be as low as possible, but moving it towards the tank, means over the axle etc. Any random thoughts on this as appreciated. It's an Edelbrock, red, universal micro pump.

Thanks in advance.

We installed an electric fuel pump on our 65 Valiant this weekend, in front of the spring perch, on an aluminum plate, mounted to the frame rail. The plate forms a shelf, that the pump is on. The pump is essentially at the same level as the bottom of the rail so it's as low as it's going to get without getting hit by anything. We saw an instructional video showing this method/location and it made sense but after looking at it and reading some more it seems it may be too far away from the tank? I thought it was supposed to be as low as possible, but moving it towards the tank, means over the axle etc. Any random thoughts on this as appreciated. It's an Edelbrock, red, universal micro pump.

Thanks in advance.

It's probably fine where it is.
I mounted mine like you said "over the axle" and behind it on the subframe and it works fine there as well.
If it makes too much noise through the car you can insulate it from the metal.
I used about 3 inches of radiator hose and bolted the pump to the side of it, and then bolted the other side of the section of hose to the frame rail.

It's probably fine where it is.
I mounted mine like you said "over the axle" and behind it on the subframe and it works fine there as well.
If it makes too much noise through the car you can insulate it from the metal.
I used about 3 inches of radiator hose and bolted the pump to the side of it, and then bolted the other side of the section of hose to the frame rail.

Thanks @TrailBeast, for an insulator, we took a piece of heater hose and "squashed" it between the pump and the plate. We did that after reading how vibration can kill these things.

Anyone else?

I don't see a problem with your installation at all. Below the tank and not too far from it. Mines mounted near the front spring hanger also. Its lived happily there for almost 18 years.

I ran my summit brand pump, same style, there in that pocket in front of the right leaf spring for years. and when i pulled the pump just last week, it actually pulled a siphon, that would have completely drained my tank if I hadn't cracked the line at the tank. meaning its a decent spot as long as you have the fuel line primed. Pulling a prime on dry lines is an issue though, have had to backflow from the carb back to the pump to get it started. had to prime it like that twice on the side of the road too, but thats over a long period of time, and likely a cheaper pump than yours. And man is it noisy, the reason I pulled it.

-
Back