Fuel Pump placement

-

Furyus67

Reaction score
Carb'd Magnum Swap in my 1967 Fury III. Going to run a fuel pump. Can anyone show me how they have their fuel pumps hooked up and where. This is what the fuel line looks like with my head near the gas tank looking towards the front of the car. I have a Mr. Gasket 12s fuel pump.
IMG_20200502_172834.jpg
IMG_20200502_172839.jpg
IMG_20200502_172859.jpg
IMG_20200502_172903.jpg

Located my 12v pump at the top of the passenger side rear frame section.

I mounted mine on the downside of the frame rail. It's noisy as all get out. I need to add some isolation washers.

I have my transmission out and the exhaust looks closer than it is. It's about 2" normally. I wrapped it anyhow to keep the pump a little cooler.

IMG_20200503_214154.jpg

I mounted mine on the downside of the frame rail. It's noisy as all get out. I need to add some isolation washers.

I have my transmission out and the exhaust looks closer than it is. It's about 2" normally. I wrapped it anyhow to keep the pump a little cooler.

View attachment 1715521681
So if I mounted mine like yours, it would be on the frame above the bump stop seen in this picture? That's not below the tank though is it?

IMG_20200502_173031.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is roughly 6" from the center top. I'm thinking it might be just a smidgen high. I only have 160 miles on the it but haven't had any problems yet.

I'm thinking about moving it further forward and down the the rail to get it further away from the exhaust and lower it so it won't struggle to pull gas out of the tank.

I filled up after the engine swap and drove 77 miles. Then filled up to see what gas mileage was (8.75 mpg). Then drove another 80 miles and filled up again, exactly 10 mpg this time.

So...I haven't driven with the tank very empty and have wondered if the height might cause problems with an empty tank.

The fuel pump should always be mounted as LOW as possible and still be protected from road debris. Shields are inexpensive and readily available. Use the proper hose clamps, worm type at least, F.I.clamps are best and cheap. Use an adjustable regulator mounted in the engine compartment so you don't over power the needle/seat on your carb. A good, large fuel filter before and after the fuel pump. Are you going electric because you have not done/have the proper timing cover ? Empty tank will just burn up the pump. Drop-in in-tank pumps are now available and solve all of these problems.

The fuel pump should always be mounted as LOW as possible and still be protected from road debris. Shields are inexpensive and readily available. Use the proper hose clamps, worm type at least, F.I.clamps are best and cheap. Use an adjustable regulator mounted in the engine compartment so you don't over power the needle/seat on your carb. A good, large fuel filter before and after the fuel pump. Are you going electric because you have not done/have the proper timing cover ? Empty tank will just burn up the pump. Drop-in in-tank pumps are now available and solve all of these problems.
Where can you find the shields?

Going electric because I kept the factory cam and didnt want to use the cam snout bolt as I hear it has varying results. Everyone made electric fuel pump sound easy. haha.

What would your drop-in tank example be? I found Holley Sniper 19-350 Sniper Diecast 340 LPH In-Tank RetroFit Fuel Module w/Return or Tanks inc looks like they might have solutions too.

What post#6 says. @MoparLeo gets it. He's right about the in tank pumps, too. They are the best choice, but a well placed in line pump will work very well, too. Millions of vehicles have them from the factory and they work well. It's really not "that" critical how close to the tank it is, but how low it is. Electric fuel pumps are not made to pull. They are made to push. Anything you can do that makes their job easier will make them last longer. Placement above the bump stop on the frame rail is way too high. I would come further forward on the frame rail in front of the rear end hump where the rail is straight, but much lower than the tank. Then, it will pretty much be gravity fed. Mounting it in that way will assure it doesn't have to work too hard to get the job done. A small shield placed under and or around it couldn't hurt a thing.

Read the instructions completely. My pump is "self priming". But not all are made that way. And be sure to have a solid ground. Realize we all have gone through this "head scratching" situation with the electric pumps. Good luck.

Read the instructions completely. My pump is "self priming". But not all are made that way. And be sure to have a solid ground. Realize we all have gone through this "head scratching" situation with the electric pumps. Good luck.

That's a great point, which reinforces to mount one well below the tank so it is basically gravity fed. Even the pumps that are self priming may prime them selves, but even they are not made to pull fuel all of the time.

I was back under the car today. Can you mount these small pumps on their side like this or do they have to sit flat?
IMG_20200507_184830.jpg

As long as the flow is in the right direction, that would be a good mounting location. Just make sure to shield the pump and wires.

-
Back