fuel pump

-

D.Coulter

67SuperFish
Reaction score
hey guys, I purchased a Holley blue fuel pump for my cuda. now I'm getting some kick back from some folks and they are telling me I got the wrong one. its a deadhead unit without a return line, is it a good unit for a street\strip application. Do I need a return line? Do they over heat the fuel in a stop and go situation, make to much noise, or just not a good performance fuel pump.

The Blue pump has been around forever, they are the at the bottom of the food chain. Some are good some fail within a week, I never had luck with them so i bought other brands. It is a dead head unit, so run a 3/8 line or a #6an and call it good. Get a fuel pressure gauge and mount it where you can see it. You should have 5 PSI minimum going through the top end floored. Fuel delivery is about volume not pressure. People think cranking up the pressure will give you more fuel. NOT. I have this HP-125 nice pump supports up to 700 hp so they claim. Has worked fine, lots of volume steady pressure.

Holley 12-125 125 GPH HP Fuel Pump

It can be noisy.... bothers some and not others.

Boiling the fuel partly depends on your fuel line routing, how well the line is protected from radiant heat, if you have a carb heat spacer/shield and so on. I would not expect the pump itself to do that; I have run several similar pumps in the past with no such known issues. Not sure I can advise you what electric pump would last forever; I have had a few failures but that was so long ago it does not apply anymore.

Remind us of the engine, cam, carb you are running? Estimated HP? That pump can flow pretty decently into the typical carb pressures.

The Blue pump has been around forever, they are the at the bottom of the food chain. Some are good some fail within a week, I never had luck with them so i bought other brands. It is a dead head unit, so run a 3/8 line or a #6an and call it good. Get a fuel pressure gauge and mount it where you can see it. You should have 5 PSI minimum going through the top end floored. Fuel delivery is about volume not pressure. People think cranking up the pressure will give you more fuel. NOT. I have this HP-125 nice pump supports up to 700 hp so they claim. Has worked fine, lots of volume steady pressure.

Holley 12-125 125 GPH HP Fuel Pump
hey thanks for the info on the Holley, I will look into that one. however, I will run this unit till it dies but I will definitely up grade as soon as I can, thanks again

It can be noisy.... bothers some and not others.

Boiling the fuel partly depends on your fuel line routing, how well the line is protected from radiant heat, if you have a carb heat spacer/shield and so on. I would not expect the pump itself to do that; I have run several similar pumps in the past with no such known issues. Not sure I can advise you what electric pump would last forever; I have had a few failures but that was so long ago it does not apply anymore.

Remind us of the engine, cam, carb you are running? Estimated HP? That pump can flow pretty decently into the typical carb pressures.
340 508/292 750 carb

hey guys, I purchased a Holley blue fuel pump for my cuda. now I'm getting some kick back from some folks and they are telling me I got the wrong one. its a deadhead unit without a return line, is it a good unit for a street\strip application. Do I need a return line? Do they over heat the fuel in a stop and go situation, make to much noise, or just not a good performance fuel pump.
I`ve got two laying on the bench. I ran deadhead systems for yrs, w/ that pump, on 5 diff hotrods, and tried ( because of friends advise) a hi pressure return set up on a hot 406 sbc engine I raced a little, it made NO diff. Its all in how u set it up w/ full flow fittings and no restriction in the line or anything. An engine can get big and hot enough to need the bigger set up tho.

-
Back