Fuel recommendations during the rising gas prices!

-

gossame1

Reaction score
Hey gang!

Here's a question, with the rising gas prices, what octane would you recommend to run in gasoline with the older classic Mopars like mine, As everyone on the board knows, at least on the old site, that I have a '68 Valiant with the 273 small block engine. My mechanic says run high test over regular unleaded (I just paid $2.30 a gallon for 93 octane at the local Texaco station near where I live. Would anyone recommend using 87 octane and using some kind of octane booster to make up for the higher gas price or would the engine suffer in performance. The car seems to run excellent on high test and seems to knock a little using regular unleaded gasoline. or should I be using regular unleaded? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again for everybody's support! I look foreward to be hearing from the group soon!

Sincerely yours,

Brian T. Carotenuto

I run unleaded plus 89octane in my 340 used to run 93 octane until the gas prices started getting out of hand.You can use an octane booster but until you buy regular unleaded and the booster it's gonna cost you just as much if you bought the higher octane to begin with.Don't know what the gas prices are where you live but here in central Pa. regular unleaded is $1.99 a gallon. :!:

To answer your question, here in Delaware, I just paid $2.30 per gallon of 93 octane at the local Texaco station near where I live! (I posted this on the old forum boards as well)

You should be fine with the regular gas. Your compression ratio should be low enough that you don't need the premium. I've always run regular in my 273.

I always run regular in my 70(I'm sure it doesn't have 10:1 anymore) you should be fine as you probably have about an 8.5:1 compression ratio.
If it rattles back up the timing a hair.

Your 273 should be fine with regular unleaded. If you have a problem with pinging then go to the next higher grade or back off your timing a little, as long it doesn't drastically affect the performance.

-
Back