fuel sender gauge gasket

-

brodphish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
after owning a 67 Barracuda for 8 years (which I still have) I just picked up 65 as well, very fun to drive!

However after filling up the tank, I found out the gasket on the fuel gauge sending unit is leaking. It looks easy enough to replace, but I've never done it before.

How do I get the retaining ring off, will it just turn? What if it is stuck, any tips to free it up? I have not tried I need to run the full tank mostly empty. It's not leaking too badly.

Any other advice?

One other question - will the sending unit slide through the ring or will I need to remove it.

Thank you in advance.

One other question - will the sending unit slide through the ring or will I need to remove it.

Thank you in advance.
I hate to answer a question with a question but here we go. Has the sending unit been replaced? Aftermarket retainers suck.

You might be able to wrestle the gasket over the sending unit but you will have to remove all of the lines and unplug electrical. To be honest I think dropping the tank is the only fix, especially to find out what is really wrong and to test the fix.

You might be able to wrestle the gasket over the sending unit but you will have to remove all of the lines and unplug electrical. To be honest I think dropping the tank is the only fix, especially to find out what is really wrong and to test the fix.

It looks like it could be original but its hard to say for sure. My initial thought was the gas tank it is almost certainly original and the retainer and lines all look like they belong. But the undercarriage it too clean it has been redone at some point and not a ton of use after.

It is very easy to pull out, this way you can inspect the filter. Hammer and punch can remove the lock ring but the special tool make it easier. When assembling, make sure you re-install fuel line ground strap.

BTW a lot of the new sending units have THINNER retaining rings. Guaranteed to leak so use the old ring with a new gasket.

All great info, so glad I posted. I'll re-use the old retainer.

I'd also like to buy the tool to make it easier. Are they readily available at any auto parts store?

All great info, so glad I posted. I'll re-use the old retainer.

I'd also like to buy the tool to make it easier. Are they readily available at any auto parts store?
What I'm saying is the original retainer may be gone and replaced by the aftermarket retainer so reusing the existing retainer may reproduce the same leaking condition. No need for the special tool. hammer and BRASS chisel is just fine.

You can tell if its an aftermarket retainer. They just fit sloppily and are easy to install and remove.
Someone on this board was selling OE retainers.

I don’t want this to sound stupid but why the brass chisel? Maybe it is softer material to not as easily damage the lock ring holding the unit in?

I don’t want this to sound stupid but why the brass chisel? Maybe it is softer material to not as easily damage the lock ring holding the unit in?
SPARKS. Actually a brass drift would be a better tool.

And don't just get after it on one side, use all the tabs to keep it concentric or it may bind.

That why I’d like to buy the special tools - no sparks.

A couple more questions: 1) can anyone tell me where to put oil in this motor? The breather element does not twist off it just spins 2) what’s with the sign? I fill it it up with premium and a full can of octane booster. Is that good enough?

1B055EC9-2C9E-4EC5-A5C2-A409FC8E2412.jpeg

A52D49E3-DD34-46F1-8A2C-E58443D8EBF6.jpeg

94151F05-A083-4437-B205-40AA3D62F0BF.jpeg

549C4D8C-B9E6-4E47-B85A-689F94CA8779.jpeg

Just finished installing my new sending unit so heres a few helpful tips. I measured the new unit retaining ring and the old one. The new one is 1.1 mm and the old one is 1.5mm, so I used the original thicker one. I didn't have a brass drift but I ground off the tip of an aluminum gutter nail, worked great. I also installed with Vaseline on both sides of the gasket, on the rim of the sending unit and on the retaining ring. It'll help everything to slide together, keep the gasket flexible longer and any on the inside will just dissolve in the gas without plugging filters or carb. BTW I'm replacing the sending unit I installed 20 years ago and the gasket is still flexible and the metal mating surfaces were shiny. I was able to lift the car and create a siphon to drain the tank, lowered the fuel level below the opening in the tank. I also wired in the new sending unit with alligator clips to make sure that was the problem. Just finished dash issues on another car and didn't want to replace the sending unit when the guage was the problem. Hope this helps.

Very helpful 69conv - great tips. I just ran the car a bit and the fuel is now below the sending gasket so leaking until I get the gasket.

BTW I got the breather element off by pulling it to the side and it popped off. Had to put lot of pressure on it but it was the answer.

-
Back