Fuel Sending Unit #4051004 Tube Needs To Be Tweaked ?

-

dust44d

What's An A Body ??
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I read a post where it mentioned that a NOS fuel sending unit,part #4051004,which superseded the earlier part numbers,that the pick up tube needs to be slightly bent down/up to work correctly in a 70-72 A Body.Can anyone verify this and better yetpost a picture of the correct "adjustment" .Thanks for the help!!

It will be trial and error,

But here is a link that has the tsb about bending the tube. It doesn't apply directly to the A bodies but you will get the point

Dash wiring upgrades, Ammeter bypass, Dakota Digital guage cluster install...

Forgot to mention...

I tweeked mine a bit but I did not adjust it enough. When my car runs out of gas I still have 1 to 1.5 gallons in the tank.

Next time I pull the sender I will tweek it more.

Last edited:
Basically IMHO you want the filter sock to touch the bottom of the tank at the same time the sender flange seats.

I would be inclined not to bend the tube between the flange and the sender but between the sender and the pickup tube.

That way you are not changing the geometry of the sender relative to the fuel level which would change how the sender, fuel level, fuel gauge interact.

Bend down at the green NOT the red

Screenshot_20221002-093118.png

That's what I was thinking also.On the fuel sock/filter,should you push it on until it bottoms out on the tube or leave a slight gap to allow fuel pick up?

Unfortunately the way the filter sits on the bottom of the tank the filter is exposed to vapor before the tank is truly empty.

The stock 67 filter lays basically flat on it's side on the bottom if the tank.

-
Back