Fuel tank coating inside and out??

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok this isnt mopar related, but any advice would help us mopar guys out as well! In Dad's 58 apache, he is thinking of having the inside of the fuel tank cleaned and sprayed/coated. Anyone see issues or can anyone recommend a product?? His fuel filter is coated in black junk, I think it might be from old fuel lines, but not sure yet. Thanks for the advice

4spdragtop

Bike tank was done in a nickel plating. The shop that did it did a miserable job, had a lot of holidays in it. But where it was applied stuck real well, no rust issues except the holidays. Stopped the seeping thru the metal from it being paper thin from the forming process....

If you can get a new tank, do that instead.

I did an Eastwood tank sealer on the inside and spray paint on the exterior. The tank was very rusty on the inside, so instructions say to muriatic acid it and water rinse it. Then the kit takes it from there. Good kit and 12 years later, it still holds gas!:blob:

POR-15 makes a product for the inside of tanks. I used it on my Cletrac, which has a Massey Harris tank:

http://www.por15.com/Fuel-System-Restoration/products/12/

My Unca Bill, now gone, a WWII Marine, saw action on at least two Pacific Islands

14d1p9j.jpg

Many years ago a good friend bought a used motor cycle that had a thick coating of some product on the inside of its gas tank. About 2 months later the bike fell ( or was dropped ) and there was a tiny dent made in the tank. The lining crap shattered into chunks that would not come out through the fill hole. That was all I ever needed to see.
Another tank would be my only route.

-
Back