Fuel tank sender issues

-

BillyBob0780

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Can you offer any advice? I had to drop the gas tank to have it repaired. To get rid of the vapour I filled it with water and left it till I could find someone to weld it.
I then refitted the tank and found the gauge had stopped working. I earthed the power feed and the gauge rose. So assumed the sender was faulty. Well I replaced it fitted a new earth ( just in case ). Low and behold the gauge still is not registering ! Oh and now the car has cut out and won't start !! Ideas ?? How it check it hopefully without having to drain it again
Thanks

You need to actually do some "diagnosis." Take your multimeter at the tank and stab one probe HARD into the sender flange---not the tank--and the sender wire terminal on the sender, measure the resistance. Depending on how full the tank "you judge it to be" will be the resistance. "Report back." Hard to say, you may have stuck it when welding and jostling around, etc.

The sender resistances for empty, half, and full are in yellow

c-3826-jpg-jpg.jpg

I have replaced the tank sender with a new one. Is it usual that a new one is faulty ??

It certainly could be. Why did you replace it? ALL the repops are known to be terribly inaccurate, that is a whole 'nother discussion. But you won't know 'til you check it

The actual order of events is important here. When did you change the sender? Before or after you filled the tank with water? X2 on the replacement senders — they are "generic" and are not calibrated for the weird shape of the A-body tank. Best to use the original one if it is at all salvageable. But if it is suddenly not registering at all, it is probably because you forgot to replace the ground strap.

I fitted a new sender after the reinstal of the repaired tank hence the new one has not been near water. I fitted a new earth strap. I used a clamp with new cable as I read articles regarding issues earthing a body senders.

I've took the replacement out of the tank. Power supply tang was broken. Fixed that and tested ohms resistance. Was almost in tolerance slightly high at full. Refitted it put a new earth on it as well... still as dead as a dodo. Alough I've earthed the power feed to test the gauge could it be possibly low voltage going into the sender ?

-
Back