Fuel tank straps, add felt or rubber?

-

kiss

Reaction score
I am doing a fuel tank swap soon on my 71 Dart. From the factory it looks like there's nothing between the straps and the tank. Is there any point to adding anything? Such as these rubber liners?

Pair Universal Tank Rubber Strap Liners - 24" long x 1 1/2" wide - SL24 | eBay

The tank will have a new pad on top. I'm wondering if this is worth it or not. Anyone add felt or rubber liners to the straps??

Also any danger to this? This would fully isolate the gas tank from being grounded, aside from the little ground wire at the sending unit...

The sending unit should have a dedicated ground, and the straps had a pad from the factory. Don't use felt, it will hold moisture.

Edit, the top of the tank had a pad, nothing on the straps.

I can't see any harm in it - although it seems like overkill.. once the straps are properly tightened, that tank isn't going anywhere..

I used some 3m "fabric" tape on my straps. Almost feels like thin webbed nylon ...

Modern plastic tanks use those ( obvious reason ). Good or bad for a steel tank? Who knows? It's your money to throw wherever you wish. Good luck

Friend of mine lined the straps on his fuel cell with old bicycle tire tubes.

For what it's worth, I put a new tank in my '71 Dart awhile back. I was in a hurry and just slapped it in with the sending unit that came with the tank. The sender is a piece if crap and I'll be digging it back out so make sure yours works properly before installing your tank. My car also had the wacky fuel filler tube with the '71 only gas cap so I used a later Scamp filler tube. The problem I'm having is a fuel leak at the rubber grommet. It appears the leak is due to the filler tube being inserted too far into the tank. I'm thinking the fuel tank is mounted too far to the drivers side. The filler neck also doesn't mount flush to the fender- sticking out about 1/8". The mounting holes in the quarter panel aren't clocked properly for flange on the filler tube either. Just a few observations that might help you get yours right the first time.

For what it's worth, I put a new tank in my '71 Dart awhile back. I was in a hurry and just slapped it in with the sending unit that came with the tank. The sender is a piece if crap and I'll be digging it back out so make sure yours works properly before installing your tank. My car also had the wacky fuel filler tube with the '71 only gas cap so I used a later Scamp filler tube. The problem I'm having is a fuel leak at the rubber grommet. It appears the leak is due to the filler tube being inserted too far into the tank. I'm thinking the fuel tank is mounted too far to the drivers side. The filler neck also doesn't mount flush to the fender- sticking out about 1/8". The mounting holes in the quarter panel aren't clocked properly for flange on the filler tube either. Just a few observations that might help you get yours right the first time.
I have an OEM sender with a plastic float that works great
I have an unleaded '75-'76 filler neck in pretty good shape (see my other post in this forum What to do with filler neck) so I'm not dealing with my current '71 only cap/filler neck anymore
As far as the install we'll see what happens. I got a good new grommet, I hope, but only the install will tell.

Last edited:
Here's an old post I made that will help you get the filler tube into the grommet. Now that I look at the pic I can see why I have a grommet leak. I wonder if I made the dimple in the pipe while removing it from the donor car...

Sorry if posted by someone earlier but I was having trouble pushing my fuel filler tube into the tank today so I placed a worm type hose clamp around the tube and used it to pry the tube into the tank using a screw driver at the edge of the hole in the floor. Had to reposition the clamp a few times to get it all the way in.

img_1918-jpg.jpg

-
Back