Fueling issue

-

wes beem

Reaction score
Howdy guys, im running a brand new tanks inc tank, brand new sending unit, brand new fuel lines, brand new mech fuel pump from mancinis and a rebuilt edelbrock 600 carb from rileys rebuilds.

Once the car gets up to around 180-190* it starts starving itself of fuel, especially if you Try to really give it the gas.

at first i thought vapor lock maybe, but ive since installed header wrap, fuel line insulation, a insulated carb spacer, made my dual hood scoops functional and its still an issue. It runs great right up until it starts getting hot then the fuel filter looks like it goes darned near empty.

Not sure what to do next. The mech pump is a carter from mancinis. i do NOT want an inline pump, they are loud as hell.

Check the rubber jumper at the tank. If you have used gearclamps there, then you need two per side/total four, as the gearheads will squish the fuel line together and create a channel for air to get sucked in.
I'm assuming that you have proved that the tank is vented.
Finally, if you have Solid lifters, check that your Hot-lash is adequate.
In my experience, a hood scoop connected to nothing is worth nothing. Except when you shut the engine off, then hot air has a place to exit.
The next time this happens:
Immediately shut off the engine, and coast to a stop. Then Check your WET fuel level in the carb.
If this is not possible, carry a small funnel and a small container of gas, then when it happens, pour about 50cc of gas into the float bowl thru the bowl venting system. Remove the gascap, Then start her up and drive away.
If this works, but you only get a few hundred yards, then you have proved, the problem is
insufficient gas in the carb.
Now you gotta figure out the why of it.
re-install the gas-cap.
But if the car, continues to run with the gascap off, well, go attack the vent system and or that jumper I was talking about. While yur at it, do the same down by the pump....

Last edited:
Tanks vented, motor is a 100% factory magnum with LA intake.

Go to Pure-gas.org - ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada
find a station near you. Run your tank down to as close to empty as you can.
fill up run it down again and fill up again.
then report back.
New video by Dana Nance

does the video look familiar? Especially starting around minute 4.

that was just ideling in park after a drive. That's on standard alcohol pump gas.

on hot days if the under hood temps got up there from sitting in a drive through lane, I would have to take it super easy once i hit the road again.

the main symptom would be pulling away from the first stop light under normal acceleration, the engine would start to die, if I lifted the pedal it would recover and if I took it easy for the next 30 seconds or so it would be fine after that.

after I switched to alcohol free gas never had the problem again.

there are things that can be done like a fuel vapor return line and a 3 nipple fuel filter designed for the purpose.

put a higher pressure fuel pump in and regulate right at the carb.

good luck

Yes Holley electric vane pumps are noisy. Carters [#4594 ] are quieter. I have my Carter behind the drivers side rear wheel & I do not hear it. Not all chassis configurations allow this.
Your mech pump is contributing to the problem because it is adding heat to the fuel, plus a 'sucking' pump is more prone to vapour lock..

Go to Pure-gas.org - ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada
find a station near you. Run your tank down to as close to empty as you can.
fill up run it down again and fill up again.
then report back.
New video by Dana Nance

does the video look familiar? Especially starting around minute 4.

that was just ideling in park after a drive. That's on standard alcohol pump gas.

on hot days if the under hood temps got up there from sitting in a drive through lane, I would have to take it super easy once i hit the road again.

the main symptom would be pulling away from the first stop light under normal acceleration, the engine would start to die, if I lifted the pedal it would recover and if I took it easy for the next 30 seconds or so it would be fine after that.

after I switched to alcohol free gas never had the problem again.

there are things that can be done like a fuel vapor return line and a 3 nipple fuel filter designed for the purpose.

put a higher pressure fuel pump in and regulate right at the carb.

good luck
that videos is EXACTLY what it looks like

that videos is EXACTLY what it looks like
Alcohol in the fuel!

I know most will say I'm full of **** but the ONLY thing I did was switch fuel.

I have tried to get it to do it again on alcohol free fuel, ideling in gear, after a long drive, on a 90 deg plus day

It just won't do it any more.

If the prospect of alcohol free gas is a no starter (proximity, cost, etc,) then the cheapest alternative would be to run a small return line back to the tank and a 3 nipple filter

-
Back