Full manual valve body, yea or nay?

-
Transgo tf2 valve body shift kit gives you the best of both worlds. Full automatic in D or up and downshift at will manually. It allows for great cruising and spirited shifting at high rpm whenever you want. I love it....and so does my wife. Still allows her to drive it without any thought with regards to shifting. Puts a giant smile on her face.

I love my reverse pattern manual valve body in the Demon. I would shop for one that has first gear band applied. There is no engine braking in first, which for driving isn't an issue to me, but I believe it helps with the overrunning drum issue as because of this, is safer. 2nd gear burnouts make it safe also.

@nwdart Not sure what you disagreed with here. Red X for the above comment. Did you have something to add to this discussion? I don't see where you chimed in.

Last edited:
RVMB! Yes! I love them, all 3 sons love them, even my wife loves them.

I have a FMRVB in my 72 Demon. It's a Griner valve body...came with the Cope trans I got with the car. Limited street driving and car has only been done a couple months. I like it but might consider a forward pattern manual valve body for drag racing if I was doing it myself again. For the street, no question the reverse pattern is fine. And I have a Cheetah shifter that I'm getting used to and think I really like.
Manual valve body? Absolutely!! You decide forward or reverse pattern depending on shifter.

i wouldn't consider a forward pattern for drag racing

I have had MVBs in all my cars. In a country where petrol can cost $2 a litre for premium [ that is $7.50 a US gallon for you guys in the US, $10.20 when you factor in the current conversion rate ], the MVB can save money with fuel.
But that is not why I like the MVB, it is just a bonus. A V8 powered car on level road with a MVB can take off in 3rd gear, TC does the work. If on a slope, use 2nd gear.
Because the trans is not changing gear all the time, trans lasts longer. You also have full control of when the trans shifts gears, with every shift. Rarely does the trans shift optimally on every shift in full auto mode, sometimes shifts are earlier or later than needed/desired.

as fas as MPG, i just dont care
i own 4 vehicles that are pretty much all daily drivers and i have no clue what any of them got for MPGs

i do like the idea of the transmission living longer
i am a little hard on it

So my duster is needing to go in to get some transmission work done

At this point it has a mild shift kit in the 727, but it is still regular auto

I was toying with the idea of putting a full manual in there, and wanted to know what you guys think about that idea

(I've had manual cars before, but never without a clutch)
A proper full manual valve body does not require kickdown throttle linkage to the transmission. That means more/simpler header installation. You also get shifts exactly when you want them, which is the main reason I like it.
I have no experience with your shifter but, with the right shifter a full manual is excellent on the street.
I run a Turbo Action full reverse pattern manual valve body with a B&M Pro Ratchet shifter. This shifter does not have modes. It moves one single position in either direction per pull or push of the handle, along with a reverse lockout. There is no thinking at all. Just pull once (with reverse pattern, push for forward pattern) to go from 1-2, pull again to go from 2-3. Some people want to slip it into neutral at the end of a pass. This cannot be done with Pro Ratchet and reverse pattern.
I have a lot of street miles on this combination and still love it. The next one will get the same setup.

Edited to clarify throttle linkage in first paragraph.

Last edited:
Ditto, the rvmb and pro ratchet. I love it. I put a new ratchet in my new car, but the original turbo action shifter was modified to work with a forward pattern glide with a brake, for my pro tree car. I used to occasionally go 1-3 with the t/a cheetah, but i works great as a pg shifter.

RMVB here. At least until 10AM today....

One thing i like is being able to shift gears "early" on the street and keep the RPMs and noise down.

EDIT- @Bobzilla

Yeah. I also have the pro ratchet. I love it. It never "moves away" from my seat. Not needing the KD linkage also cleans up the engine bay and is safer for the trans.

-
Back