Full quarter panels

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The Demon finally came back for floors, trunk floor, Extensions, wheel houses, and quarters . Here are some pictures of them being fitted into the roof. After being fitted the car will be put on the fixture for welding them in

100_0133.JPG

100_0144.JPG

100_0153.JPG

100_0154.JPG

100_0155.JPG

100_0156.JPG

100_0102.JPG

100_0103.JPG

Nice to have a frame table to use. On my ‘65 Dart I made a bracing sub-structure that I welded to the car before removing everything. I had to replace the quarters on both side and replaced the whole thing including the jambs. Also the floor pans, trunk floor, drop-offs, outer wheel houses, part of the brace from the roof to wheelhouse on both sides, the trunk surround, shock mount, and the rear package shelf with the adjacent part of the rear window frame. Amazingly, the rocker panels were good. Some of it was due to old damage that had been improperly repaired. Everything came from donor cars except for the lower rear quarter I had to replace on one of the donor quarters. Everything checks out according to the factory frame chart, but I would really liked to have had access to a frame table and jig. I’m sure that doesn’t exist for early A’s. You have a nice car that will be nicer when you are done.

The other side is worse around the window and roof. The spare tire tub like the quarters were all ready patched 3 times . all rivets and bondo. No welds.

100_0108.JPG

100_0111.JPG

100_0112 (2).JPG

100_0124.JPG

100_0125.JPG

100_0115.JPG

100_0116 (2).JPG

100_0117 (2).JPG

20180126_173056.jpg

100_0120 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I put a engine in this car for James in 1978. He sold it around 1980, Like many he who wanted their youth back he found it a couple years ago.

After buying it back he brought it to me for smoke when starting it and a oil leak. We pulled the heads and intake to find a wiped Cam One thing led to another and it got a face lift for a friend. It started as a After pulling the engine we saw it needed a complete front clip. Then I told him if he gets quarters I would install them. Well I figure with my health issues I better get it done for him while I am still here. . I just finished Todds Barracuda. After this Demon Dave's Valiant needs a clip and a stroker Big Block.

20171216_170812.jpg

20171216_175254.jpg

20171227_115501.jpg

DSCN0031.JPG

DSCN0032.JPG

DSCN0033.JPG

20171217_125816.jpg

20171222_150827.jpg

20171229_123243.jpg

20180101_150808.jpg

I put a engine in this car for James in 1978. He sold it around 1980, Like many he who wanted their youth back he found it a couple years ago.

After buying it back he brought it to me for smoke when starting it and a oil leak. We pulled the heads and intake to find a wiped Cam One thing led to another and it got a face lift for a friend. It started as a After pulling the engine we saw it needed a complete front clip. Then I told him if he gets quarters I would install them. Well I figure with my health issues I better get it done for him while I am still here. . I just finished Todds Barracuda. After this Demon Dave's Valiant needs a clip and a stroker Big Block.

View attachment 1716019768

View attachment 1716019769

View attachment 1716019770

View attachment 1716019771

View attachment 1716019772

View attachment 1716019773

View attachment 1716019774

View attachment 1716019775

View attachment 1716019776

View attachment 1716019777

Nice work!

Wow! I guess this kind of thing is pretty common back east. I learned a lot from just looking at these pictures. My left rear quarter had been patched the same way. Rivets and bondo, no welds. A rear sub frame section had been stick welded on and was pretty ugly. Thanks for posting the pictures. Very informative. I welded in the right front floor pan very much like you did. Makes me feel better about what I did. First (and last!) time I’ve done it.

Your project is looking good. I'm currently welding welding in rockers, quarters, outer wheel well, trunk extensions (no trunk floor), etc. I can't imagine what a shop would charge to do this work. I also did the front floor in sections too. I welded in frame connectors to stiffen the car up...killing 2 birds with one stone. There has been a few lessons learned. I should have never tried to butt weld the rear seam of the front floor pans. Also, changing a complete rocker is a big job and disturbs (destroys) lots of factory welds. I will just be welding in sections on the passenger side. Live and learn.

I have a question to all on this site. When we put the front clip on we welded the numbers back in the rad support. The front floors and the torsion cross member were replaced. The rear floor on the drivers side needs to be replaced. Now all these panels in the rear are being replaced.

Here's the question.

Why wouldn't getting a rust free 6 cylinder grammas car. and just rebodying the car be a better way to go? I would be welding the numbers in just like I did doing these repairs.

Many critics say no its against the law. But I have done them both ways over the years . Even cut then in half for insurance companies when they were new and wrecked hard. No way this Car will ever be like it was when it was new. Its just new rebody done in pieces

Seeing the good work being done here gives me more confidence in doing the same 1/4 panel work needed on my Duster. Now I just have to wait for the left full 1/4 to be available from AMD & the money to buy it. Warmer weather would be nice too.

I have a question to all on this site. When we put the front clip on we welded the numbers back in the rad support. The front floors and the torsion cross member were replaced. The rear floor on the drivers side needs to be replaced. Now all these panels in the rear are being replaced.

Here's the question.

Why wouldn't getting a rust free 6 cylinder grammas car. and just rebodying the car be a better way to go? I would be welding the numbers in just like I did doing these repairs.

Many critics say no its against the law. But I have done them both ways over the years . Even cut then in half for insurance companies when they were new and wrecked hard. No way this Car will ever be like it was when it was new. Its just new rebody done in pieces

Ship of Theseus

Seeing the good work being done here gives me more confidence in doing the same 1/4 panel work needed on my Duster. Now I just have to wait for the left full 1/4 to be available from AMD & the money to buy it. Warmer weather would be nice too.
The AMD metal (at least for my '70 Dart) is nice stuff but not cheap.

But then we wouldn't get to see all of this awesome work? Also I don't think it would be easy or cheap to find a rust free Demon.

Steve and his son are top notch. Anyone who gets a chance to go there should. He has helped me many times already and I'm planning another trip to get a few more small parts.

Thanks a bunch for posting these pictures!
Wow!

-
Back