6.1 Hemi 69 Barracuda Fastback Father Son Project

-
Will just keep plugging away... had the garage for the summer but Mrs. Mopar has her parking space back for the winter. I may move it inside again after the engine is in but will need to be strategic with specific tasks...
I do keep my 70 Cuda convertible and 70 Challenger both in the garage year round and Mrs. Mopar has been pretty understanding and generous with her garage parking space.

I prefer the extra room I have under the tent for test fitting the engine/trans anyway and not too cold yet. Hoping for no snow in the lowlands this winter.

Here is a look back at last winter...
Ended up with 14" of accumulation in one spell. Had to remove snow off the roof of the tent several times to prevent certain collapse...

upload_2019-10-7_19-28-29.png

I have a similar setup and put some 1 X 4 between supports on the slope to prevent that. For me it prevented puddling, but in your case it will give it more support. Extra piece of mind

I have a similar setup and put some 1 X 4 between supports on the slope to prevent that. For me it prevented puddling, but in your case it will give it more support. Extra piece of mind

How did you attach them?

Funny, I just put a new cover on top and was telling my wife it would be nice to add a few more rafters... I was thinking emt conduit.
My tent is 18'x20' so the roof supports are pretty long.

Yes, to keep them from sliding down, they give the material more support between the runners to keep the snow from putting too much weight on the cover.

Rolled the Hemi across the patio and down the driveway and under the waiting 69 Fastback for the first test fitting.
Went well!
Several firsts for us but the QA1 K-Member bolted right up with a little bit of coaxing...
The 727 Cross member bolted right up.
Lots to test fit and mock up and then take it back out before final paint.
AC Plumbing
Heater Plumbing
CAI Fab and fit
Radiator and plumbing
Steering
All the front suspension
Having never done any of this before, I'm taking my time and thinking about what next...
Going to have to drill and cut holes for the Classic auto Air but am thinking of ways to hide as much of the plumbing as possible...

upload_2019-10-12_20-50-10.png

upload_2019-10-12_20-51-39.png

Picked up a pair of Neon SRT4 Seats for the Barracuda. Just sitting in there now. Will need to mod some mounting brackets.
Will eventually have them re-done with custom leather covers. They will be fine as is while test fitting everything.
upload_2019-11-24_22-7-28.png

setting the 440ntrans in the 70 dart that same way , loaded k frame . and outfitting the exhaust with the t bars as well . cut that t bar mount section from a abody to load the bars to dial in the exhaust tie in between the shoe header and the tti system .

How did you attach them?

Funny, I just put a new cover on top and was telling my wife it would be nice to add a few more rafters... I was thinking emt conduit.
My tent is 18'x20' so the roof supports are pretty long.
I drilled holes in the 1X4 and used zip ties to hold them in place, Sorry I didn't read your question carefully enough.

Well after costing it out and a lengthy conversation with Russell at Sound German Automotive
He is Local to Me :)
We decided to go switch gears and go with an 8HP70 using SGA's Kit and Paddle Shifter.
Found a Challenger Floor shifter from another member.
He's doing a 6.4 with 8HP70 and had an extra shifter. Might try to fit the shifter to the stock console but think the 2015 up Challenger console would be the way to go if we can fit it in our A-Body.
So...
Looking for an 8HP70, Local preferred Western Washington State
I could get a complete used 8HP from SGA for $1k when he has one available.

I'm sure it must just be me...
Man I sure struggled trying to figure out how to put the glove box door and hinge back together in the dash...
Then when I finally got it, couldn't figure out why I struggled with it so much.
Anyway, it's done.
Fit the Dash frame in place and the Classic Auto Air Heater/AC Box is mocked up in place.

upload_2019-12-15_18-49-19.png

upload_2019-12-15_18-50-11.png

upload_2019-12-15_18-50-37.png

Locating the holes for the air box, drilling and then blind mating through the firewall... harder than it sounds.
Might slot the firewall holes a bit to give some room for adjustment. I fastened bolts to the air box and pushed them through the firewall. Secured with washer and nuts. One hole in the engine bay and 2 are in the inner fender well.
The box attaches with two brackets attached to the box. the right side has 2 bolts and the left side only 1.
It's a pretty big box but not very heavy. The 2 Metal mounting brackets are attached to the box with 4 screws.

Little by little. Not a lot of progress but it all has to get done.

Ididit tilt steering column arrived today. :)
Still need the EPAS kit, then can start work on the steering.
Will have to cut the steering column down to attach the EPAS electric motor and figure out mounting the column with the motor under the dash.
May try to graft the old column bracket to the new column if it will work.

Last edited:
Of course 2 of the bolts came through inside the inner fender brace. Ugh.
The top one you can see the bottom one is in there you just can't see it.
Fun stuff.

upload_2019-12-15_19-32-12.png

I didn't take a picture of it before mounting it in the car.
I will be taking it back out and will take a couple pictures then.

From the installation manual.
Not exact but close.

View attachment 1715439013

So I took it back out to add brackets to both sides to allow shifting it a couple inches towards the driver's side to add a little more clearance next ti the passenger kick panel.
See how the back would slope away from the firewall? Added a bracket to the short bracket side to square the box up to the firewall. Have a little more room for the air ducts, Heater and AC Lines to be ran now.
This is before adding the extra brackets.
qNfTwJ19mmJamiFAU_VGN-ODkHYfCn6d8A-j1Lljeczw8xwaUO501mvS_FrKdFs-S_C5ZCZ59rZPCb27z=w3210-h1804-no.jpg

So I got this so I can

upload_2019-12-29_11-31-35.png

cut out the old tunnel to make room for one of these.

upload_2019-12-29_11-34-0.png

upload_2019-12-29_11-42-57.png

2015-2019 8HP70 8-speed
Don't have the 8-speed yet but have a line on a couple.
Waiting to get shipping costs to Snohomish WA 98296
If you have one or know of one, let me know. Prefer from a 6.4 car but from a 5.7 car works too.

Don't know who's but this Dart has a US Car Tool Tunnel for 8HP70/79 and others...
Not sure if we will go this route or make the new tunnel myself.

upload_2019-12-29_11-51-30.png

The USCT Tunnel includes a frame structure for added strength.
Frame before the sheet metal installed.
Includes replacement of the cut out top section of the Torsion Bar Cross Member.

Pictures are from USCT Website. Prototype Project Car.
upload_2019-12-29_11-54-20.png

I bought one of those tunnels and it is so nice I almost don’t want to touch it with my welder.
I am waiting for their T56 Magnum crossmember to be released.

I bought one of those tunnels and it is so nice I almost don’t want to touch it with my welder.
I am waiting for their T56 Magnum crossmember to be released.
Nice! :thumbsup:
What headers are you running? I sure hope my TTi headers still clear the HP70. Hopefully just taller and not much wider than the 727 pan.

Ordered this Ididit Tilt column and EPAS Performance Electric Power Assisted Steering Kit for the Barracuda.
Have to figure out what steering wheel, adapter and horn button we want to use.
Need to get the seats located and mounted and figure out the correct location, length, angle, etc.
Neon SRT4 Seats need to have some modified brackets made up for them.

A_Body_480x480.jpg

1120320010.jpg

-
Back