6.1 Hemi 69 Barracuda Fastback Father Son Project

-
A couple Decals I picked up Wednesday while at Totally Auto getting a quote to restore my 69 grills.
One of these might find it's way into the 'Cuda...

Which one looks more correct for a 69? I'm leaning towards the Laps vs Burnouts.
15418373_1297986436889041_5952505057832421903_o.jpg

15391458_1297986493555702_5890221560026506584_o.jpg

I am having a brand new 3rd member built for the 69 by Randy's Ring & Pinion.
Plan is for 380-460 HP depending on which crate motor we decide on.

All New 8-3/4
489 case
large yoke
Dana Power-Lok

They offer "Smooth" or "Aggressive" setup.

Their description:
"The aggressive one might chatter around turns but would lay down bigger power better."

Would like to hear your thoughts. I don't mind the little eek eek eek I get sometimes turning a tight corner.
I could be convinced that smoother is better for non competition driving.
dunno.gif

The other question I have is which gear ratio?

Going to be a cruiser/show and go car, never driven in the rain.

At first I was thinking 3.55 with the 727 + Gearvendors OD .78 so 3.55x.78=2.7 in OD
2.7:1 with 25.7" tall tire = 2354 RPM at 65 MPH Nice!
3.55:1 with 25.7" tall tire = 3017 RPM at 65 MPH This what I have in the ragtop. It needs a GV too.

But with the GV I'm thinking I could go a little lower for good stop light to stop light city driving and in OD still have a decent RPM at cruise.

3.73 with the 727 + Gearvendors OD .78 so 3.73x.78=2.9 in OD
2.9:1 with 25.7" tall tire = 2464 RPM at 65 MPH Still pretty darn good! Could hit the Power Tour and still cruise pretty comfortable.

Please chime in with your thoughts.

The Calculator I used:
Tire Size, RPM, Speed, and Differential Ratio Calculator

Thanks in advance!

They offer "Smooth" or "Aggressive" setup.

For the power level you are looking at go w/ the smoother option, I don't think you would benefit and the drivability is more important.

Please chime in with your thoughts.

I think 3.55:1 vs. 3.73:1 in this relatively light car is going to be pretty imperceptible, I would lean towards the 3.55:1 especially since you want to do Power Tour type driving.

For the power level you are looking at go w/ the smoother option, I don't think you would benefit and the drivability is more important.
I think 3.55:1 vs. 3.73:1 in this relatively light car is going to be pretty imperceptible, I would lean towards the 3.55:1 especially since you want to do Power Tour type driving.
Thanks for the reply. Points well taken. Drivability and and mileage will certainly be best with 3.55 and the smooth setup.
Performance won't suffer. Like you said, this car will be 1000 lbs. lighter than the 20xx Chally's and Chargers powered by 5.7 Hemi's...

Getting closer to getting our turn for Body and Paint. Picked up the dash frame from the blasters and was bummed that it uncovered about half a dozen small pin holes. Dropped it of with my painter to weld the holes and paint it. Was going to paint it myself but a welder I am not. Hoping to get the car into his shop by the end of next week. He needs to get a couple other cars out the door first.

Cleaned up the heater controls a little. Noticed one of the little white plastic pegs is broke and missing a little piece where the cable connects.
9wL_U94V2GUOkDJdvbr4plq31p1zilyJxmQ0vN8wFNP5uIV2NRhuUz5V5eSyECxkC-MhuA1eJQZ7l3P_sQg=w718-h404-no.jpg

14MCWA-EdE8m0CpyG8gqG1ckePeiclNV2bhXXkQbJjQqd0pxwdgEKeuOi_tqd7-o2e8FwzQWDjsA5VxtQx=w1369-h770-no.jpg

Did a little restoration work on the back seat chrome fish latch cover.
Before:

SuGwkDTsDOPTgEoexIpsBtLFpVVE_uHpKlkZCguohYhLjD7Wz9O40-6_j9qtzzcA83CqlFReGVyyJzZl_g=w1369-h770-no.jpg

Sand and file the pits and mask.
eilGhmYn_3eYIq48n73Cw8EM16kIGpI62TjIhd-vbhFPtMyWQlfcxBiWIz3jtfwF3bDgYdsBnHFLzzdqxA=w1369-h770-no.jpg

Primer
Ok-VJtHNV6YiGFZwg0vYPPwXlZwXGQ0Ktqr_fU4aY4NLpCR9M3NhcbFMGp7eZfTOfVuG7In1xYGv0xra9g=w1369-h770-no.jpg

Silver Caliper Paint I had left over.
Not perfect but the price was right. Just some left over rattle can paint and a couple hours.
gIa-GN71JvFNJ5Ulpo-8AOzRsueN4x-B9XD6lY2PsTwofgkczXKrNILcWcPejnszHzANFZAxto1jLFHVmw=w1369-h770-no.jpg

Took the car to Alternative Blasters today. Alternative Blasters Corp.
Loaded the fenders, doors, deck lid and all of the interior sheet metal into it as well.
All will be bare metal and then to Fenders and Fins to replace quarters, trunk floor and a couple patches.
Will also get US Car Tool full radiator core support, sub frame connectors with level 2 chassis stiffening kit.
It will get epoxy primed, all body work, all jams, openings, trunk, engine compartment and interior will get paint. Have not decided if I want the whole car painted yet since there will need to be a lot of test fitting and working around it for a while.
Have not done this before so figuring it out as we go. Never needed to go this deep with the 'Cuda.
Ey0L9yWfcU3HBsZ6jz0S9BD92EIz5ZUVn1KM7DCWZjzy5hzg2gzhgzpjc8Fy11nd7ABhGRJP7wLK8I0rEg=w1369-h770-no.jpg

d75N7Mzf-KciqzElpHKA8t25N2wqxnyKRruSMMZ-Ta6F04NhdY6fDYtN93K-yn5HMBqC4IRu8WABUotUDg=w1369-h770-no.jpg

I'm in the middle of putting a 5.7 Hemi in a 70 Duster. I'm glad my car is just in primer! If it were my Cuda....and knowing what I know about how tight it is, I'd get all of the metal work done from the doors back and get it all in epoxy. Then do all you have to do to make it run before you get it painted. I've had my motor and trans in and out a half a dozen times while doing the fab work! I'm using a 73 spool mount k frame with TTI headers and mounts. I re-engineered the drivers side mount so I could get the AC compressor to fit. I'm using Hemi Denny's coilover conversion package for stock spindles to get the torsion bars out of the way of the headers. I'm using a 545RFE transmission, but your plan of a 727 with a GV is a good one. I have more hole than floor at this point! LOL. I've made up new cuss words putting this Hemi in an A-body, but it will be nice when it's done. I'm quite sure your sons car will be too, so keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

I'm in the middle of putting a 5.7 Hemi in a 70 Duster. I'm glad my car is just in primer! If it were my Cuda....and knowing what I know about how tight it is, I'd get all of the metal work done from the doors back and get it all in epoxy. Then do all you have to do to make it run before you get it painted. I've had my motor and trans in and out a half a dozen times while doing the fab work! I'm using a 73 spool mount k frame with TTI headers and mounts. I re-engineered the drivers side mount so I could get the AC compressor to fit. I'm using Hemi Denny's coilover conversion package for stock spindles to get the torsion bars out of the way of the headers. I'm using a 545RFE transmission, but your plan of a 727 with a GV is a good one. I have more hole than floor at this point! LOL. I've made up new cuss words putting this Hemi in an A-body, but it will be nice when it's done. I'm quite sure your sons car will be too, so keep up the good work. :thumbsup:
Yep, good advice. As much as I would like to see it all body color, it would be best to only paint it just ONCE!
Do you have a build thread? I would like to follow it.
Thanks!

I really haven't started one, but I made a post a few years ago on how I modified the k frame and motor mounts to work. At present, I have removed the spare tire well and I'm in the process of getting a custom aluminum gas tank built. I'm going to make the trunk floor flat, and mount a space saver spare in the space up under the speaker shelf. Dusters have a cavernous trunk, so the tire won't really get in my way. The battery will be back there too.

I really haven't started one, but I made a post a few years ago on how I modified the k frame and motor mounts to work. At present, I have removed the spare tire well and I'm in the process of getting a custom aluminum gas tank built. I'm going to make the trunk floor flat, and mount a space saver spare in the space up under the speaker shelf. Dusters have a cavernous trunk, so the tire won't really get in my way. The battery will be back there too.
A larger custom tank would be nice. Tanks Inc. EFI tank for 67-69 Barracuda is only 16 Gal.
How many gallon tank are you building?

I haven't done the math yet, but it should be 20-22 gallons or more. It's going to be the same width and depth as a stock tank at the axle end, and keep that depth 10" back and then taper up to about 4" deep back toward the bumper. I'm putting a 2" piece of aluminum pipe in the stock position, welded in at a 30 degree angle. I will use the stock steel fill tube, and connect them with gas hose and band clamps. I wanted to make the fill tube come out behind the license plate, but the angle wouldn't work out right.

Never really liked the filler behind the plate on my E Body. It's a PITA to get the nozzle in or out and it's too easy to get splash back.
Saw a Pro Touring Charger with a filler added to the passenger side... filling option from either side!
Always thought they should have kept the 69 Barracuda style filler for the E Body. Just my 2¢

Mine is narrower than the stock tank and is an estimated 32 gallons. I wanted 32 gallons to accommodate running E85 on road trips. 24" wide and 24" long, it sticks 4" above the trunk floor (even with the floor above the rear axle), hangs down 10" below the floor at the front, 6" below the floor at the rear. This was a custom build by Rick's tanks to my drawing. I copied the below the floor profile from another user here who had one made by rick but made mine narrower and taller. It is narrower to provide 5" clearance on each side between the tank and the frame rail.

ready-for-tank-jpg.1714731462.jpg

tank-installed-jpg.1714731463.jpg

Also running EFI on my '68 Barracuda. The 7.3L with Weiand super stock intake converted to port EFI:
dsc06547-jpg.1714804748.jpg

-
Back