Gah!! Old cars!! (steering Qs)

-
I was specific! The pitman arm he has is for a 68-72. It should be pointing up! Im not sure how much more specific I could be?

No, the pitman he posted is for late model The studs are pointing down when installed

No you were not specific. I was quoting your post exactly where you said:

"That is odd. That should be a "up" pitman for those years"

You did not say "what years." What I posted is correct. The parts photo you posted is NOT correct This is the photo you posted. That PHOTO is NOT correct in reference to what is being sold That part in that photo is upside down, and when installed would point the stud DOWN which is 73/ later

screenshot_20201024-213252_samsung-internet-jpg.jpg

I don't want to argue with you I am only trying to get the information CORRECT

No that photo is wrong. Look it up in the service manual. What I pictured in the 2 diagrams earlier is correct. Late model (73/ later0 points DOWN
Im not really sure why you are in disagreement with me when we are saying the same thing! Hahaha he had the wrong pitman arm. 73-76 points DOWN! And 72 and before points UP! He has a 74 (down) but the pitman arm be bought is for and earlier model (up) he he has the wrong pitman arm.

No, the pitman he posted is for late model The studs are pointing down when installed

No you were not specific. I was quoting your post exactly where you said:

"That is odd. That should be a "up" pitman for those years"

You did not say "what years." What I posted is correct. The parts photo you posted is NOT correct This is the photo you posted. That PHOTO is NOT correct in reference to what is being sold That part in that photo is upside down, and when installed would point the stud DOWN which is 73/ later

View attachment 1715619278

I don't want to argue with you I am only trying to get the information CORRECT
No im not arguing bud. I stated the years in previous posts that pitman arm is listed as a 68-72 it should be up.

Im not really sure why you are in disagreement with me when we are saying the same thing! Hahaha he had the wrong pitman arm. 73-76 points DOWN! And 72 and before points UP! He has a 74 (down) but the pitman arm be bought is for and earlier model (up) he he has the wrong pitman arm.
GREAT!!! EXCEPT THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU POSTED. Read my post and look at the parts photo. The parts photo which you posted is WRONG

I suggest you read carefully and look at the bend in the arm, the stud, and the diagrams I posted from the shop manual. What the OP posted are LATE pitmans

GREAT!!! EXCEPT THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU POSTED. Read my post and look at the parts photo. The parts photo is WRONG Also, he does NOT HAVE the early pitman, they are simply PICTURED upside down from how they get installed.

I suggest you read carefully and look at the bend in the arm, the stud, and the diagrams I posted from the shop manual. What the OP posted are LATE pitmans
I don't understand! That is what I have been saying the whole time. I am only going by the text that the manufacturer provided ie 68-72 not by the photo that is why I said....
That is odd. That should be a "up" pitman for those years.

I think I understand the confusion now! I was not talking about the picture you posted when I made that comment I was talking to the op about his pitman arm being down when according to the manufacturers years it should be up! That's all I was saying. I wasn't talking about your posts at all. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
GREAT!!! EXCEPT THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU POSTED. Read my post and look at the parts photo. The parts photo which you posted is WRONG

The arm is listed as fitting B and E bodies as well. They point down '68-72. It is a generic fast ratio arm that fits all small sector shafts.

This stuff would be a direct bolt-in in my '70 Challenger.

It is erroneously listed as fitting the '68-'72 A body. While it would bolt on to use these arms in a '68-'72 you would need the '73 and later crosslink which is not stated in the ad pictures you keep posting.

I've done enough research at this point to know exactly what's going here. :rolleyes:

The arm is listed as fitting B and E bodies as well. They point down '68-72. It is a generic fast ratio arm that fits all small sector shafts.

This stuff would be a direct bolt-in in my '70 Challenger.

It is erroneously listed as fitting the '68-'72 A body. While it would bolt on to use these arms in a '68-'72 you would need the '73 and later crosslink which is not stated in the ad pictures you keep posting.

I've done enough research at this point to know exactly what's going here. :rolleyes:
Yes that makes alot more sense!

Good luck keeping it between the curbs.

Oh I get it, this is not my first Mopar I've made to handle, just never done the fast ratio arms on an A-body. :D

I already installed the 1.03 T-bars and the 1.25 front bar, have Bilsteins, a fat grip steering wheel and a rear sway bar to go on soon. I'll fab up some sub-frame connectors and torque boxes for it eventually after I get everything else sorted... there's a lot to do before.

I'm going keep my aluminum mags though.
smokin.gif

I guess nobody knows the answer? @72bluNblu ?
On My challenger I went from pwr w/ the fast arm to manual24:1 with a fast arm, Its still a bunch of turns If i get a chance I'll count L to L . My cuda has a Flaming river 16:1 standard arm, it's a bit of a chore at low speeds with a 4sp but I like that better than the set-up in the challenger. I'd like to try a 20:1 box.

Just checked, it's just under 4 turns L to L.

Last edited:
-
Back