Gang Green 68 GTS

-

MOPARMITCH

Mekong Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Figured I should start a resto thread on the GTS. Bought the car in May of 2013 from Southwest Indiana. Confirmed that it is numbers matching when it got here with 95k on the clock. It is an H code 383 A/T. All frame rails and floors are in great condition. Car will need Quarters and partial rockers. Also fenders and doors are junk. Already bought some real nice original Ma Mopar metal. Two nice fenders, two perfect doors and a nice hood. Motor was seized from sitting since 1974 !! . Thats right, car was last registered in Indiana in 1974. Tried to unseize the motor, but to no avail. Finally moved it from around back of the shop to get started. Pulled the motor and trans out together on Saturday. I can tell, it's never been out of the car. All original fasteners and clips etc. Here are some pics to start out with. I will post more in the days to come. Let the Fun Begin!!

Gang Green 1-1.jpg

Gang Green 1-2.jpg

Gang Green 1-3.jpg

Gang Green 1-4.jpg

Gang Green 1-5.jpg

Gang Green 1-6.jpg

Gang Green 1-7.jpg

Looks like a cool project Mitch! I guess you sold the Roadrunner to finance this project?

Looks like a cool project Mitch! I guess you sold the Roadrunner to finance this project?

Sold the RR because I ran out of space. Have this GTS project.
And....... I have a 70 Cuda 383 4spd numbers car also to do.
My Plate is Full !!!

Haha, I know what you mean by your plate is full. My plate is too full,the food is falling onto the floor.

...love the name of the car..very envious of your lift... I will enjoy watching your progress..

I found out why I couldn't turn this 383 over by hand. #4 piston was frozen in the bore from sitting for 39 yrs !!Had to roll the crank out of it with 3 pistons still in their bores. Then drove #4 out with a sledge hammer. Motor looks pretty clean inside. Only a little sludge in the oil pan. I might even be able to hone up the bores and use std bore pistons. My machinist will let me know this week. Got it all to him Yesterday. I'm sure the crank will clean up standard. Motor still had all the factory heat shields and wire looms on it.

Gang Green 8-1.jpg

Gang Green 8-2.jpg

Gang Green 8-3.jpg

Gang Green 8-4.jpg

Gang Green 8-5.jpg

Gang Green 8-6.jpg

Gang Green 8-7.jpg

Gang Green 8-8.jpg

Sold the RR because I ran out of space. Have this GTS project.
And....... I have a 70 Cuda 383 4spd numbers car also to do.
My Plate is Full !!!

Hmmm....I had a 70 cuda 383 4sp. Sold it to a guy in Mechanicsburg. It was a b5 blue and he painted it orange and then wrecked it and then sold it....Any history on yours?

Congrats.....bought a similar car last September.....FF-1 Green with a 4 Sp......all matching....partially rebuilt.....took a needle scaler to floors I thought we're good....Hello AMD....send me the floor pans......plus some holes in floor under rear seat....AMD does not make these floor pans......made metal patches. Pouring lots of $$$$$ in......

Gang Green 15-1.jpg

Gang Green 15-2.jpg

Gang Green 15-3.jpg

Hmmm....I had a 70 cuda 383 4sp. Sold it to a guy in Mechanicsburg. It was a b5 blue and he painted it orange and then wrecked it and then sold it....Any history on yours?

Yes, this Cuda is local to me, and.... I'll be the second owner. B7 Blue, Blue interior, non console 4 spd 383. Bought it from a guy who used to buy parts from my Auto Parts operation.

Now thats proof positive that they are still out there.And one that was never hacked up.Unbelieveable !! Congrats to you on a great find.

Awesome find.
Love the dark green color!
Can't wait to see more on this one as it progresses.

Not too much to report right now. Except I brought the car up to the restoration bay in the shop. Been sittin outside since I got it last May. Engine block, crankshaft, rods and cylinder heads are at the machine shop. $$$$$$ parts from Summit should be here today so I can get the pistons and valves and valve springs to my guy. Thinking about going through the Torqueflite myself. Be the first Auto Trans I do, but I think I'm up for it. Probably ask a few questions about it. LOL

Gang Green 19-1.jpg

Gang Green 19-2.jpg

Gang Green 19-3.jpg

Has anyone seen one of these before ?? Gyromatic Safety Control?? This is in the trunk of the 68 GTS I bought earlier this year. I was told that it was used back in the 60's by Police Dept. and Fire Dept. and Racers as a safety device. I'm 57 and I never heard of it. Perhaps there is someone Older than I that has seen them before or remembers them ???

Gang Green 20-1.jpg

Gang Green 20-2.jpg

Gang Green 20-3.jpg

Gang Green 20-4.jpg

Gang Green 20-5.jpg

Gang Green 20-6.jpg

Nice score, this is one of the closest from engine assembly date to body build date I've seen 2 days. 12/26/67 on the engine and C28 on the fender tag 12/28/67. Those BB a-engine must have been in real high demand being as the car wasn't even an SO unit! But then again the SPD isn't always the date built. Have you found the broadcast sheet? With how untouched the car is I would imagine chances are pretty high it is in the car.

LOL weird on the gyro control, but imagine someone out there should know something about it. Might have to leave our hallowed grounds of FABO to find out though! I have never seen it.

I did find this -
"Gyro Matic Safety Control Devices - Anti Skid, Stabilzation | eBay"]Gyro Matic Safety Control Devices Anti Skid Stabilzation | eBay

It operates on the simple principle of physics - for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. When a skid occurs, the rear of the car moves sharply to one side. The Safety Control housing moves with it, but because of inertia, the weight inside stands still, compressing a spring on the opposite side. This causes a counter force movement of weight which tends to overcome the skidding movement of the car. The more violent the skid, the more pronounced the counter movement of the Safety Control device. Mounts with four bolts in the trunk in a position parallel to the rear axle. One device weighs 65 pounds. It's approx 26 inches long, 4 inches wide, 5 inches high.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did find this -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gyro-Matic-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cdb3b2dce

It operates on the simple principle of physics - for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. When a skid occurs, the rear of the car moves sharply to one side. The Safety Control housing moves with it, but because of inertia, the weight inside stands still, compressing a spring on the opposite side. This causes a counter force movement of weight which tends to overcome the skidding movement of the car. The more violent the skid, the more pronounced the counter movement of the Safety Control device. Mounts with four bolts in the trunk in a position parallel to the rear axle. One device weighs 65 pounds. It's approx 26 inches long, 4 inches wide, 5 inches high.

That's really cool. An early form of an anti skid device.

Nice score, this is one of the closest from engine assembly date to body build date I've seen 2 days. 12/26/67 on the engine and C28 on the fender tag 12/28/67. Those BB a-engine must have been in real high demand being as the car wasn't even an SO unit! But then again the SPD isn't always the date built. Have you found the broadcast sheet? With how untouched the car is I would imagine chances are pretty high it is in the car.

LOL weird on the gyro control, but imagine someone out there should know something about it. Might have to leave our hallowed grounds of FABO to find out though! I have never seen it.

Yeah Rocky, I have a real nice broadcast sheet and a dealer invoice from East Side Dodge in Indianapolis Ind. ODO shows 95k and I think its right. I believe car to be sitting since 1974. I could tell that the drivetrain had never been out. Waiting on machinist now .... Hurry Up !!!

-
Back