Garage finishes

-

70SwingerDart

Reaction score
hi guys I’m new here, wanted to see some of you’re garage setups, I’ve been trying to get my new garage finished so I can bring homes 1970 dart I just purchased and hopefully not have to work around it too much

My garage is a two car wide and two car deep on the one side, I’ve made this area for car storage and hangout, work in progress still but got a smoking deal on cabinets I couldn’t pass up. I designed and built a folding bar top to hangout at when the boys are over, folds up out of the way when you need to get a car in or out

41D2098C-EBF0-4458-9DF8-F804F06A23A6.jpeg

3BDE5F89-C9B7-4CBE-869F-0BC3DF0E1422.jpeg

E04285FB-F486-404B-B7D6-10C31249604C.jpeg

Looks nice.....is that a bar in the first pic??LOL
I wish I had those kinds of skills, I can only do machine work, mechanics and welding:(

Treblig

Looks nice.....is that a bar in the first pic??LOL
I wish I had those kinds of skills, I can only do machine work, mechanics and welding:(

Treblig
Yea it posted the photos in a wierd order, first pic and third are the same wall of cabinets, with bar top down and up, hopefully going to get a custom sink made to fill the hole in the middle and the cabinet on the back wall at a different height than all the others hides the garage sub panel for a clean look, just needs a small paint touch up above it still

One man's opinion. For someone who does a lot of work in his garage, any and all mechanical work, woodwork, painting, home repairs, etc., I don't believe in doors on any of my cabinets. I want to see what I have and be able to reach it quickly. I believe in lots of work bench area, the more the better. Any work bench must be able to support an engine block (I have never really had an engine block on my bench, but there has never been a time when it's strength has been questioned). Lots of lighting were I need it. Same principles apply to tools, every thing in it's place so I know what I have and what is missing. All this being said, my garage is usually a mess with at least three projects going at any one time.

One man's opinion. For someone who does a lot of work in his garage, any and all mechanical work, woodwork, painting, home repairs, etc., I don't believe in doors on any of my cabinets. I want to see what I have and be able to reach it quickly. I believe in lots of work bench area, the more the better. Any work bench must be able to support an engine block (I have never really had an engine block on my bench, but there has never been a time when it's strength has been questioned). Lots of lighting were I need it. Same principles apply to tools, every thing in it's place so I know what I have and what is missing. All this being said, my garage is usually a mess with at least three projects going at any one time.
Hi Murray, I do agree with the open cabinet idea as well, however doing a lot of woodworking out of the garage it is nice to have some storage kept “cleaner” I will have open shelves as well, and being these cabinets are full 5/8” gables to the floor and 1 1/2” plywood top I wouldn’t be afraid to set much anything on them, even the folding top the legs go straight through the cabinet putting no load on the cabinet that drops to the ground.

And yes once I’m fully moved in there will be much less room available as well

I put everything in my garage on wheels so I can wheel it all out for cleanup but knew I'd be banging engines and jacks etc. against the drywall and you can gouge that stuff by looking at it wrong so I found a plastic 4x8 wall board with a pebbled finish on one side at Home Depot and glued that up on the bottom of my walls. The pebbled finish hides any nicks from bumping into it. Then I some 2x8 18gauge galvanized steel and glued that on top of the plastic sheet with some screws along the top, between the two it really armoured up the drywall.

DSC00373.jpg

DSC02721.jpg

That way nobody else can run off with my stuff!!!

I put everything in my garage on wheels so I can wheel it all out for cleanup but knew I'd be banging engines and jacks etc. against the drywall and you can gouge that stuff by looking at it wrong so I found a plastic 4x8 wall board with a pebbled finish on one side at Home Depot and glued that up on the bottom of my walls. The pebbled finish hides any nicks from bumping into it. Then I some 2x8 18gauge galvanized steel and glued that on top of the plastic sheet with some screws along the top, between the two it really armoured up the drywall.

View attachment 1715170415

View attachment 1715170418
Looks killer! Good idea with the board on the bottom! I wanted the smooth look of Drywall but like you it’s just not durable enough, I settled for osb but it’s not as clean looking as I would have hoped, but it definitely will not be easy to put a hole in it!!

I was going to put drywall on mine but was at an auction and they had commercial grade pegboard from grocery store so I bought 50 sheets at $1.50 per piece. Not bad for $75

DSC00002.JPG

My sis's friend manages commercial properties and had to wreck out a bootleg pot shop/nursery. Hundreds of grow lights, thousands of square feet of dynamat, 10's of security cameras! The tenants just grabbed the plants and hauled *** overnight. He warehouses all the tech stuff now but she said they rolled up the dynamat and threw it in the haul away dumpster!!! Nooooo! The $$ Dynamat is used to line the roof and walls so IR cameras on police helicopters dont see glowing grow buildings at night. Surplus solid wood Fire doors make great benchtops.

-
Back