Garrett Turbo - what do I have?

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can one of the turbo experts give a hand here? I found this turbo at a car swap meet and picked it up for just about nothing. Does anyone know what it came from, and what size engine it will support? I'm looking at sticking a turbo on one of my slant engines to wake it up, and wondered if this will work.

Oops. I forgot to add the photos. It's says the model number is A.R. 60, with some other possible characters that are not real clear to read. It appears to be on good shape. All the openings were taped shut to keep crud out, the vanes look OK visually, and it spins freely.

GARRETT 1.jpg
GARRETT 2.jpg

I don’t think you will find a silicone boot to fit the outlet, they have a special outlet like a Vband.

I don’t think you will find a silicone boot to fit the outlet, they have a special outlet like a Vband.

Yes- almost any truck parts store can get you a V band and a down pipe. The boot for the inlet is good. You limiting factors are oil and water supply because the factory feed for oil is like 3/8”- a lot for a chrysler v-8 style pump. And the turbo it’s self is needs ALOT of exhaust pressure to spin. It may not start making pressure until 4000rpm (educated guess) I know people have used them before - watch you tube. Is it more work than you want is now the question to make it work.
“Attention Blue light special customers. A turbo expert is now needed in isle 12.”

Sorry, trying to bring a bit of humor into the mix with a reference to K-mart from when I was a kid. Lol!

Sorry, trying to bring a bit of humor into the mix with a reference to K-mart from when I was a kid. Lol!

No problem, that's why I was checking this out. I paid a whopping $10 for it, knowing it was a gamble. I played trucks for 40+ years so I'm familiar with what it would take to spin this if it's really a Cat turbo. And I agree that's a likelihood. I guess I will get rid of it on CL and pursue other avenues to high performance.

Thanks to all who chimed in with advice.

This may work for a slant six, you’ll have to size your engine on that turbo’s airflow chart to see if it is in a usable range.

The .60 a/r is the air ratio, not a part number. It’s a way turbos are sized.

-
Back