Gas Gauge Sending Unit

-

Jim Kueneman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone bought a sending unit that actually works correctly? The OER one I bought for Duster is junk. If so what was the part number and where did you buy it? I need one for the '63 Dart.

Thank,
Jim

Nope, the repops aren't copies of the originals. There's many threads about them here at FABO

Yea I was just hopeful.... Has anyone ever mapped out the resistance vs float position on an original to understand how non linear it is?

My friend, who has a 72 Duster 340 4 speed car has bought at least 4 after market senders. It was all for nothing because they are "junk". We have checked the resistance outside of the tank before installation & all is good. Minutes after installation the readings are all over the map, 5 gallons of fuel reads nothing, 10 gallons of fuel reads 3/4 tank, drive ten miles, fuel level drops to empty. We are now searching for someone to rebuild the original & hopefully it will work correctly.

My friend, who has a 72 Duster 340 4 speed car has bought at least 4 after market senders. It was all for nothing because they are "junk". We have checked the resistance outside of the tank before installation & all is good. Minutes after installation the readings are all over the map, 5 gallons of fuel reads nothing, 10 gallons of fuel reads 3/4 tank, drive ten miles, fuel level drops to empty. We are now searching for someone to rebuild the original & hopefully it will work correctly.
Your best bet!

So it’s more than just linearity it is poor continuity as well.

Some one did a great thread on them even showing the in tank positions.

The most important thing is that the gauge reads empty when the tank is getting close. You can usually get that to happen by bending the float arm. The inaccuracies from full to empty are in the design of the sender itself.

Jim, in one word "YES". We are so frustrated with after market CHINESE junk. So far, 3 of the 4 were returned & accepted for credit. We are waiting to see if they will accept the 4th one. Now mind you, we have dealt with 4 different suppliers & each of them "claim" that their unit is comparable to OEM. I won't mention the suppliers we have dealt with for fear of lawsuits for defamation. LMAO

The OER stays on full forever then falls to empty in 20 miles. When it is on E there is 5 gallons left.

TMM, we have tried bending the arms to get it to read correctly. Three of the four purchased are a different design than the original, one was very close but it read all over the map using different amounts of fuel.

Jim, in one word "YES". We are so frustrated with after market CHINESE junk. So far, 3 of the 4 were returned & accepted for credit. We are waiting to see if they will accept the 4th one. Now mind you, we have dealt with 4 different suppliers & each of them "claim" that their unit is comparable to OEM. I won't mention the suppliers we have dealt with for fear of lawsuits for defamation. LMAO
Exactly, they will fit and work but none are accurate. They don't look like the originals.

TMM, we have tried bending the arms to get it to read correctly. Three of the four purchased are a different design than the original, one was very close but it read all over the map using different amounts of fuel.
Been there, done that. No matter how you bend or modify the float arm they still aren't accurate. It's all in the design of the coils.

Look for threads about Meter Match. I fixed my aftermarket sender with one. Works well & reasonably priced.

Has anyone bought a sending unit that actually works correctly? The OER one I bought for Duster is junk. If so what was the part number and where did you buy it? I need one for the '63 Dart.

Thank,
Jim

Jim,
Check out John Wolf and Co, he rebuilds all types of vintage gauges/units. A few FABO guys have sent their fuel sending units to him for rebuild and they were very happy with his work. Do a search on here for posts on him. Good luck...
318MG

I copied these out of other threads & used them to calibrate my aftermarket sender with a meter match. Did not do them myself.

8DD57A5C-82F6-43BE-954B-8005C62E7351.jpeg

02A99356-FDAC-47FE-BC24-24B6341F0777.jpeg

I bought one for my 70 Dart from Herbs parts in 2005 or 2006. It was a good quality piece that worked well, however I have no idea what the brand name was. Herbs is still around, though they are more B and E body parts, they do sell some A body, may not have for the early ones though.

Hi DR,
I replied to your post earlier but for some reason it didn’t go through. Please check out John Wolf and Co, they rebuild/restore vintage gauges and fuel sending units. A few FABO guys have sent their fsu’s to him and were very happy with his work. Hope this helps your friend and others in need of his services. Take care...
318MG

318, That would be fine & good if we had a sending unit to repair. The one we had was so cobbled up, it is useless. I'm going to see if someone here has an OEM sender we can send off to be refurbished.

318, That would be fine & good if we had a sending unit to repair. The one we had was so cobbled up, it is useless. I'm going to see if someone here has an OEM sender we can send off to be refurbished.
DR,
Give him a call....I believe he’s in Willoughby Ohio. He just might have a rebuilt OEM sender unit for sale....you never know, it’s worth a shot
Take care,
318MG

-
Back