Gas tank leak

-

Roadart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The tank on my 72 dart has a small leak. It weeps out when more than a few gallons are in it. It is coming from the sending unit. All screws are tight. Does anyone sell just the gasket? can I make one ?if so what gasket material? The sending unit was replaced by PO.

Agreed, I just fixed this on mine. The aftermarket lock rings that come with the new senders are half the thickness of the original ones, I bought a Spectra thinking it would be good, it wasnt. The solution was to find my old lock ring in the garage and use it on the new sending unit. I cant believe they have overlooked this on the aftermarket sending units. The thinner lock ring does not put enough pressure against the gasket. Hopefully you have access to a stock lock ring, mine hasn't leaked a drop since.

Does it only leak after fueling & then parking it in a warm garage pr outside in a warm climate?

If so, fuel expands when warmed & it will find a way out.

Gasoline bulk storage tanks are typically underground at gas stations & thus cooler, especially in warm climates.

The tank on my 72 dart has a small leak. It weeps out when more than a few gallons are in it. It is coming from the sending unit. All screws are tight. Does anyone sell just the gasket? can I make one ?if so what gasket material? The sending unit was replaced by PO.
Screws? Show us what you have.

Try it I will be interested how it works after a fe=w speed bumps. Had the same issue until I found a nos one it was a *****.

Try it I will be interested how it works after a fe=w speed bumps. Had the same issue until I found a nos one it was a *****.

I have the DMT gasket on my Duster with a stock lock ring, works great a few years and thousands of miles later. I didn’t have to mess with the tabs on the stock lock ring.

On my Challenger I have a spectra lock ring and gasket, it was before DMT was making gaskets. I bent the lock tabs on the locking ring to take up the distance and push harder on the gasket. The lock rings are really simple, all you have to do is look at it to see how you can adjust the tension by altering the tabs a little. That set up is still installed 10 years and 70k miles later. No leaks. It took a little trial and error to get the pressure on the gasket right, which was a pain because it meant multiple installs/removals to see if it leaked, but it absolutely works.

Thanks! Never been able to make it work metal would release.

Alaskan ta- It is sitting in my unheated shop,but night time temp. are only 40 degrees. The gauge does not work,so I put in 5 gallons and it started leaking immediately. Took it to a show yesterday used enough gas so it stopped leaking. Will get a new lock ring

Just got the filter/sock late yesterday put it on,dt gasket, oem lock ring added gas and it looks GOOD. Finally.

Thanks for the link - snagged a gasket myself as I noticed a slow seeping coming from the duster soon as I got it filled up with more than 5 gallons. Distinct smell of gas in the garage was concerning enough lol

Old thread but so helpful. Thanks FABO members!

I just bend the tabs on the tank in, so the locking ring applies more pressure on the seal .

Some of the gaskets out there are terrible, they don’t hold up to modern gasoline. The DMT gaskets are awesome.

I usually bend the tabs on the replaceable lock ring instead of the tank, but either method can be used to increase the pressure on the gasket

in a pinch I have glued two gaskets together and bailed myself out of a jamb when the aftermarket lock ring was all I had. worked fine for years that way.

The tank opening can be warped too. I got tired of messing with it and used Pro-seal that I used for sealing the ends of the fuel tanks in the airplane that I built. It will never leak again. If needed, it can be removed with a heat gun. Used the gasket and pro-seal.

-
Back