Gas Tank Sending Unit

-

TF360

Reaction score
Has anyone had success with a aftermarket sending unit? If you installed one and it works properly with your gauge-let me know what brand you installed. Or do none of them work right? Thanks

AFAIK none of them work right. They are "generic" in the sense that the windings on the board are a linear progression -- the factory ones had a varying winding pattern to compensate for the internal shape of the tank (which has the spare tire cutout in the upper half). They also use a different pivot point for the float arm, and the arm is shorter. You would practically need to interpose a custom computer algorithm to make it read correctly on the gauge. Save your old ones and rebuild them! Even if the board is crap, you could use it as a pattern to wind a new board that would at least be close to accurate.

JOHN WOLF & CO. INC.
36420 BILTMORE PLACE
UNIT #1
WILLOUGHBY,OHIO
440-942-0083
Call these people they fixed mine works great
340joe

One of the problems I experienced with aftermarket was the throw was less than OE and would read full for 1/4 to 1/2 tank. no way to adjust for that with a add on gauge adjuster. ( same for the bottom end after the fuel level would be below the float)

A member here setup a display that shows this... do a search, it was in the last few months.

I have found that aftermarket sending units are linear. Mopar sending units are all non-linear. If you have an old OEM one, you can get them rebuilt. Here's a pic of the non-linear type.

Attachments

• Non-Linear Board.pdf
    70.8 KB · Views: 231
Has anyone tried a floatless sending unit like the Tanks Inc. one?

-
Back