Gas Tank Vent

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I was in my trunk and noticed that the small 1/4" vent tube that connects to the fill tube was laying open in the trunk. My question is does this metal line run thru the filler to trunk seal and just rides like that, or is it suppose to return inside the tank? Now I know why when I would fill the car up that the gas fumes were so bad. Thanks for any and all help. Oh by the way this is on a 69 Dart.

Well I'm working on the tank/filler neck. But I still havn't found the answer to this question? any help?

i just had to replace the neck grommet on our 64 barracuda and it only attached at the neck,not down into the tank. Hope this helps a bit.

If it returned to the tank the tank wouldn't be vented. It has to be open to the air somewhere. I think they usually vent outside under the car somewhere or through the charcoal cannister if the car has one.

The fuel neck to trunk seal has a seperate hole in it for this vent to go thru but it just didn't seem right that it went thru this seal and stopped? Maybe it does.

my 66 has a nipple up near the gas cap that the hose hooks to. it is to let the the air out of the tank when it being filled. look in side the filler or maybe up under the fender where it fastens to the body. its not big. only 1/4" or so

The fuel neck to trunk seal has a seperate hole in it for this vent to go thru but it just didn't seem right that it went thru this seal and stopped? Maybe it does.

It most likely does just stop once it reaches outside the car. As long as the end of the tube is open & located outside of the car it should be fine.

The nipple on the filler neck is connected to the 1/4" metal line with a small piece of rubber hose.It just goes out of the trunk area either into the frame rail or ...somewhere under the trunk floor.Just vents to air.Before putting it back together,remove that metal line and flush it out.Mine needed to be drilled at the top because it was clogged.Spray carb cleaner thru it to be sure you'll have air flow.Hope this helps,Bob

in the factory manual (69 dart ) it shows the vent tube going through the seal assembly @ trunk floor and just stops 2 inches or so under the seal and looks to be left open

That's correct, it was the same when I swapped the tank out in my Duster ... just runs through that hole in the seal/plate and stops, ...

-
Back