Gas tank?

-

dart swanger

Reaction score
What are you guys using for a gas tank in your swaps? I'm doing a 5.7 swap into my 69 dart and I am looking for a new tank/fuel pump assembly. I don't want to go fuel cell I want it in the stock tank area.

I used Tanks Inc. Mopar Fuel Tanks
Their tank for my Duster was identical to my OEM tank. Even the turn ups at the rear to clear the exhaust pipes. I would contact them and tell them what you are doing.

You can get aftermarket tanks that are already set up for EFI. You can also install a pump in a stock style tank. The purpose built tanks have the advantage because they are usually baffled.

Hot rod city garage makes welded aluminum tanks that mount in the factory location and hook up to the factory fill. THey ever use a mopar fuel gauge.

aaerobrushed4.jpg

I used a new stock tank and modified a new sending unit to hold a Deutschwerks pump and 3/8" return line. This feeds fuel up to a front mounted surge tank at near 0 psi. It just free flows through the surge tank and back to the tank though 2 Permacool fuel/water trap filters and the surge tank.

A second fuel pump mounted inside the surge tank feeds the fuel rails and bypasses the unused fuel back into the surge tank.

This set-up will feed the motor air free fuel all the way down to the last gallon or two even at the strip or on a road course.

Sending unit mod 4.jpg

Sending unit mod 3.jpg

eng5 (Large).png

I bought a universal tank that fit under the package tray . The gas spout is for a boat . I have all the clearance in the wold for exhaust and a shortened the rear end
The tank cost around $210

20140517_170143.jpg

Maybe just me, but I would not want a gas tank inside the car with me or my family. Are you thinking of making a steel barrier between the tank and the interior?
Jim

I bought a universal tank that fit under the package tray . The gas spout is for a boat . I have all the clearance in the wold for exhaust and a shortened the rear end
The tank cost around $210

View attachment 1715438753

How does that affect weight bias on the scales?

ALso, how does your car hook up with the tank in this location?

Yes, a thin sheet metal panel is between the truck and interior. This is much safer than most cars. You could get rear-ended (accident) from the back. Right to the back window and still wouldn't hit the gas tank. The car has not made it on the road yet but the tank is right over the rear end . Just me ,but I think will be better than stock

-
Back