**Gasket or just RTV is the Question**

-
Red, and stay inside of the studs with it.
1/8 bead and slap her on there wet.
You'll never have even a damp spot.

Contrary to popular belief you can fill it right away if you want to.

I always went with metal to metal and no gasket on surfaces like that
because the gasket material itself can seep a little.

Black is good, red is tougher.

9 inch Fords are notorious for leaking past the 10 pumkin studs, no matter if you use silicone or a gasket. They came stock with copper washers under the nuts. Use a gasket and use the copper washers, you'll be set. You can get the copper washers from Ford, but for reasons I don't even understand, they come 32 to a package and they ain't cheap.

If you use silicone and too much of it, it breaks off inside and goes straight to the pinion bearings in the pinion retainer. If seen hundreds like that.

Russ.

This is the one I use for everything, largely because I always have a tube laying around because of the pellet stove. As Double M stated, use the washers. Had a 9" in the back of my old Ranger, with out the washers it leaked like a sieve.

I use blue, and have never used washers on the pig studs. Butt Black or red will work also

I use black on the housing side of the gasket on my 8 3/4. Just a skim coat
to cover imperfections. Then used a light skim coating of chassis grease on
the side for the center section. That way if you take it out for any reason.
Change gears like U do for racing and street use. You can reuse it. Had
the one on my car for 3 years. about 6 changes. Works for me.

I talked to my Chevy buddy. He uses the Ford 9" Exclusively in all his cars.
He say's he uses a good bead of Ultra Black on the housing side making sure to go around all the studs then he uses regular flat washer and a locking on top of that. He said he has been doing that for years without any leaks at all using no gasket.

There is proof posted here in this tread that you can skin this cat many different ways with excellent results.

He runs his cars very hard. Here are a few pictures.
I know they are Chevy's but he builds some beautiful wicked fast cars.

The Red NovaII runs 8.50's all day. 505BB NA
The Black Nova runs 9.30's 383 Stroker on a 400Hit of NOS
The other Red Nova, I forgot what it runs.

View attachment PRC_nova_#1_George.jpg

View attachment Pete_1.jpg

View attachment DSC_0099.jpg

View attachment DSC_0083.jpg

Ok, one of the MODS is messing with my postings again. Taking out words & adding images and crap. That is BS. Here we go all over again.
I just fixed it and lets see what this Crackhead does next.

louis on my 8 3/4 I used a gasket and RTV. No problems or leaks here! Also a reputable axle shop, (RIGHT! Gear and Axle) located in Salinas, who rebuilt my third member just gave me a tube of that blue RTV to use, no gasket.

Your equipment is sure lookin nice dude. However, I just LOVE the Dana 60! They Look baaaaad under an A body!!!

louis on my 8 3/4 I used a gasket and RTV. No problems or leaks here! Also a reputable axle shop, (RIGHT! Gear and Axle) located in Salinas, who rebuilt my third member just gave me a tube of that blue RTV to use, no gasket.

Your equipment is sure lookin nice dude. However, I just LOVE the Dana 60! They Look baaaaad under an A body!!!

I got it all together. I used Ultra Black RTV with no gasket. The black oozing beed is barely noticeable.

Yes the Dana Looks pretty bad *** for sure. This little ford 9" don't look to shabby either for a Half Breed wanna be fabster like myself!! haaaaa:D

View attachment IMG_4359.jpg

View attachment IMG_4360.jpg

View attachment IMG_4361.jpg

View attachment IMG_4362.jpg

View attachment IMG_4363.jpg

View attachment IMG_4364.jpg

View attachment IMG_4365.jpg

View attachment IMG_4366.jpg

View attachment IMG_4367.jpg

-
Back