Gasket Removal for Valve covers

-

1969383S

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I like to set my gaskets with a bit of 3M yellow snot, on the cover side only.

Never had these factory chrome covers before until doing the car correctly. I prefer the Mr. Gasket cork, impregnated rubber units. They have not leaked at all in 7 years. Is there a good removal spray to assist without undo scrapping! I am trying to avoid scratching these covers up!

What does the tube of 3M say to use for clean up ? That is the stuff.

Good question! That stuff is pretty tackey! My previous experience is use a fiber disc and air grinder!

Was hoping that an over the counter spray from Permatex or CRC would assist and someone with experience using them would chime in!

MEK works, toluene....all the bad stuff is good. I like the wire core silicone gasket no sealer required and they don't squish out under torque. 3M sells a spray remover outside California.

MEK works, toluene....all the bad stuff is good. I like the wire core silicone gasket no sealer required and they don't squish out under torque. 3M sells a spray remover outside California.
yup, those would probably all work. Something that might work, too, is one of those decal "eraser" wheels mounted in a drill motor. You can get them over the Internet or from an automotive paint supply store. Probably about $10.

I use a razor blade scraper with plastic blades.

Thanks for the replies. I have some 3M remover I may try! I also have some MEK. Now to get motivated!

If all else fails I will use the angle grinder and fiber disc while wrapped in an old towel.

-
Back