Gear grind after fluid change

-

Rassnasty82

Reaction score
A833, switched to the Redline GL5 shock proof and it grinds shifting into 3rd gear. My guess is the stop ring on the syncro is not slowing down fast enough to meet the speed of the gear due to the slipperiness of the full synthetic GL5. I have a GL4 Redline MT90 sitting in a jug, do you guys think this will make a big difference or am i just wasting time and money.

833s take atf. Or mix with something to thicken it up if u live in a hot climate. Kim
That’s interesting, lot of guys say don’t use the ATF as it’s too thin and if the trans has a bunch of miles on it use an GL4 to help with the stop rings that are worn out.

The best thing I ran was 1qt 80W 90 gear oil & 1qt B&M trick shift.
It shifts to hard with gear oil, shifts great with ATF but grinds.
The mix never grinds and the gear oil protects the gears better than ATF.

A lot of people don't take into account the fact that the fluid differences cause a different drag on the gear to shaft mating surfaces, and not just how the syncros work or don't.
Meaning if the gear itself resists stopping with one fluid over the other.

With older manuals it's most always a game of try it and see how it works.

A lot of people don't take into account the fact that the fluid differences cause a different drag on the gear to shaft mating surfaces, and not just how the syncros work or don't.
Meaning if the gear itself resists stopping with one fluid over the other.

this is what I have been reading. The slight grind going into third is much easier to feel since changing the fluid. I would have to really be flying through the gears before with the typical gear oil that was in the transmission. With the shock proof it happens at the easiest of shifts so it totally has something to do with the fluid. The redline mt90 is a thicker viscosity and has less EP additives so in theory it should make a difference. That being said, I could always try and mix a quart of gear oil in the shock proof and see if it improves it before I waste a bunch of money and time swapping fluids completely out...

this is what I have been reading. The slight grind going into third is much easier to feel since changing the fluid. I would have to really be flying through the gears before with the typical gear oil that was in the transmission. With the shock proof it happens at the easiest of shifts so it totally has something to do with the fluid. The redline mt90 is a thicker viscosity and has less EP additives so in theory it should make a difference. That being said, I could always try and mix a quart of gear oil in the shock proof and see if it improves it before I waste a bunch of money and time swapping fluids completely out...

Exactly.
Transmissions deserve tuning as much as anything else does.
When you drain something you tried out, save and mark what it is.
You may end up going back to one mixture.

Keep is simple. I have not found trying to reinvent the wheel always works. Sometimes older equipment does not like or agree with using full synthetic oil.

GL 5 has additives that will eat yellow metals like syncro rings.

I've never run anything but atf but you might try GM Syncromesh fluid. That has worked well for me in various applications

-
Back