Gear Vendor

-

downsr

Reaction score
Any one put a gear vendor unit in 70 Duster. If so any modifications needed to make it fit. And does anyone have one for sale. Thanks

One just came up for sale a few minutes ago on the Mopar Trader Page on Facebook for $1500 for a 727. I drove a 69 Barracuda with one in it, but didn't install it so I don't know what mods were made.

I did like it in the Barracuda as it had a 426 Hemi and 4.10 gears, so it needed it! I drove it on the highway several times and it was needed, ran good at 70 MPH!

I have one in a 68 Barracuda 360/A833.
The only mods were to pound a lil dimple in the tunnel to clear the largest diameter at the castings parting line. I used the late-style rear mount, and I mighta slotted the mounting holes a little deeper in the late-style rear mount, to drop the trans a hair. Yeah I sorta remember doing that, but it wasn't much.

One thing I didn't like, was that GV would not sell me a separate adapter for my winter-engine with a 904. If I wanted one, I would have to return my A833 adapter, pay the difference, and 6 months later send them the 904 one back to get an A833 one, at additional cost,again.
I get that it's their business but that turned me right off. Had I known that before putting my money down,I think I mighta passed.
Another thing that irked me was that they would not sell me the tools to rebuild that sucker, and they charged 50% of current retail to rebuild it when I puked it.
Yeah I guess I'm still sore about that.
If I was to do it again, I'd just turbo my beast and run hiway gears, and not call GV. Almost same money and com'on who doesn't want a turbo'ed SBM?

I guess I could sell you mine, but you'd have to buy the heavily modded A833, and the clutch, and the backset shifter, and the pedals and everything I got that makes it work so well, or just the whole car,lol. At 65,I'm getting ready to buy a wheelchair,lol. Not for me mind you.

Last edited:
from what i understand to get it in an abody ya just need to ding the floor in one spot.. obviously you'll need to cut the driveshaft too..

Put one in my 67 Barracuda-904. Extensive wiring and cabling, controller ect. I dropped my transmission crossmember about an inch to get everything proper clearance. Just follow the book. Build a new driveline and your overdriving.

Running one in my 68 barracuda behind a 340 4 speed with 3.91 gears. A few small dimples in the trans tunnel, slight grinding on the aluminum tail Housing and on the adapter for the shifter mechanism which helped me avoid slotting/dropping the trans mount. Best upgrade I have made to the car in regards to drivability.

I have one in my 67 Dart 340/904. By the time I got done dinging the hump, the metal was pretty thin, so I cut the hump and made an access cover. I used 10/32 nut plates for easy removal. I chose to leave my trans mount alone since I didn't want my driveline angles to change. My driveshaft is only 38 3/8" C to C, trans .5* down, drive shaft 1.5* down, and pinion is 0*. I run an adjustable snubber at the track raised to 1/8" gap on the floor. This setup works great for me. I bought used for $1500 and got a spare trans to boot. I don't use the controller box; a simple push button on my shifter controls the OD solenoid. When I run 1/8 mile 2 gear OD is perfect with 4.10 gear and 28 tire.

I have one in my 67 Dart 340/904. I don't use the controller box; a simple push button on my shifter controls the OD solenoid. When I run 1/8 mile 2 gear OD is perfect with 4.10 gear and 28 tire.

Yes it is perfect for the 1/8th ; I have a 3.09 low and 3.55s. I used 2 splits and 1 pull to hit 93@ 6150, in second over. I use 3.09-2.41-1.92-1.50; splits of .78-.80-.78 . That controller was mega-slow. And the S cruses at 65=2240

They DO sell tailshaft adapters separately but they are $800!

They want you to trade in one to get a paltry $200 off that price.

Unless you buy new, you will likely face this problem because (like most auto related situations) 80% sold are chevy.

Last edited:
Any one put a gear vendor unit in 70 Duster. If so any modifications needed to make it fit. And does anyone have one for sale. Thanks

Just put one in a 71 Dart with a 727.
Not wanting to change the trans crossmember and driveline angles we cut the center of the hump right under the seat and fabbed a 1.5 inch higher and 10 inch long rise in the tunnel.
On this specific car we had to pull all the exhaust out from the headers back and redesign the 2.5 inch pipes to go around the GV unit, as it had an H pipe right where the GV unit needed to go.

Then we needed to shorten the driveline and swap the GV front yoke to it.

After all that, his used GV unit didn't work. :D
GV will trade a working unit for his and 800 bucks.

All said and done a 46RH OD trans conversion would have been easier and cheaper.

With mine, I bolted the unit up to the A833, then put a jack under the Gv, and rammed the sucker into the tunnel 'til the suspension unloaded. Then I reshaped the tunnel from the cab side, with a bfg until it fit. Then I slotted the late-style mount about 1/4 inch, or whatever I could get, and called it done. It has never tapped the floor, probably because I have the engine chained down with a Schumacher restrainer.They said it was good for 1200 horsepower, so I figured it could take a few hammer blows. It doesn't leak up there so I guess they were right.
I had to cut my H out too, from the TTI system. I really missed the torque, and spent all summer looking for it. By next summer I had a 3.09 low in there, and that was the end of the softness. Now those 3.55s take off like they were 4.12s.And with all the torque I found last year in the fine-tuning, she's a rocket now.
I wanted to keep the 3.55s cuz that makes her a 4-gear car to 93 in the 1/8; 2 splits and 1 pull. Also it makes 65=2240 just above were my 230 cam vacuum peaks, so I thought that would give me the best shot at fuel-economy. I was wrong, that 230 has no economy in her, not with any other gear or any other carb. It's just baaaaad no matter what,lol

With mine, I bolted the unit up to the A833, then put a jack under the Gv, and rammed the sucker into the tunnel 'til the suspension unloaded. Then I reshaped the tunnel from the cab side, with a bfg until it fit. Then I slotted the late-style mount about 1/4 inch, or whatever I could get, and called it done. It has never tapped the floor, probably because I have the engine chained down with a Schumacher restrainer.They said it was good for 1200 horsepower, so I figured it could take a few hammer blows. It doesn't leak up there so I guess they were right.
I had to cut my H out too, from the TTI system. I really missed the torque, and spent all summer looking for it. By next summer I had a 3.09 low in there, and that was the end of the softness. Now those 3.55s take off like they were 4.12s.And with all the torque I found last year in the fine-tuning, she's a rocket now.
I wanted to keep the 3.55s cuz that makes her a 4-gear car to 93 in the 1/8; 2 splits and 1 pull. Also it makes 65=2240 just above were my 230 cam vacuum peaks, so I thought that would give me the best shot at fuel-economy. I was wrong, that 230 has no economy in her, not with any other gear or any other carb. It's just baaaaad no matter what,lol

I have one behind the Hemi / Passon aluminum case A833 in the silver Duster....To keep the engine angle close to factory, I cut a 12" section out of the pinched part of the tunnel aft of the 4-speed hump and replaced it with a section of tunnel from Chris Alston. Shorten driveshaft a given

I made several attempts to use it in a drag scenario and found it wasn't consistent with too much lag between flipping the toggle and the shift. Great for super slab cruising over 65 MPH though.

I have one behind the Hemi / Passon aluminum case A833 in the silver Duster....To keep the engine angle close to factory, I cut a 12" section out of the pinched part of the tunnel aft of the 4-speed hump and replaced it with a section of tunnel from Chris Alston. Shorten driveshaft a given

I made several attempts to use it in a drag scenario and found it wasn't consistent with too much lag between flipping the toggle and the shift. Great for super slab cruising over 65 MPH though.
Flipping the toggle, I take to mean "hot-wired" no computer control right?

I have one in a 68 Barracuda 360/A833.
The only mods were to pound a lil dimple in the tunnel to clear the largest diameter at the castings parting line. I used the late-style rear mount, and I mighta slotted the mounting holes a little deeper in the late-style rear mount, to drop the trans a hair. Yeah I sorta remember doing that, but it wasn't much.

One thing I didn't like, was that GV would not sell me a separate adapter for my winter-engine with a 904. If I wanted one, I would have to return my A833 adapter, pay the difference, and 6 months later send them the 904 one back to get an A833 one, at additional cost,again.
I get that it's their business but that turned me right off. Had I known that before putting my money down,I think I mighta passed.
Another thing that irked me was that they would not sell me the tools to rebuild that sucker, and they charged 50% of current retail to rebuild it when I puked it.
Yeah I guess I'm still sore about that.
If I was to do it again, I'd just turbo my beast and run hiway gears, and not call GV. Almost same money and com'on who doesn't want a turbo'ed SBM?

I guess I could sell you mine, but you'd have to buy the heavily modded A833, and the clutch, and the backset shifter, and the pedals and everything I got that makes it work so well, or just the whole car,lol. At 65,I'm getting ready to buy a wheelchair,lol. Not for me mind you.

Are you serious about selling your setup?

Your box is full... pm me the details and I will come have a look at the car.

-
Back