Gear Vendors overdrive

-
I have one....running 3:55's with it and it works great however, as ABJ mentioned I wish the OD ratio was a tad lower.

If I had to guess I would say its like running 3:23's. It would be better if that was closer to 3:00 or less.

It runs around 70mph at 3000 RPM for reference purposes.

Gear vendors with a 3.55 gear should put you at about a 2.76 gear.

What's it have about a .78 od ratio? A .69 ratio would kick ***. I hear they won't move from the .78 ratio because they are hung up on the useless splitting gear crap.

Aren't they a bit pricey? Yeah, 3000 RPM @ 70 MPH......I would not be happy with that!

having an OD will be pricey any path you choose.

i've never heard bad things about the GV overdrives. you can also switch to a more modern trans with OD/Lockup converter (whether mopar or gm) but both will also require cash on hand; they might get slightly better mileage because of the lockup converter, but take a lot more work getting them to fit and getting the electronics correct.

my only suggestion is that if this is an extreme build (very high torque / hp) that even 727's will start hacking. at that point you would go with a jerico manual trans setup (they are not overdrives, final 1:1 but 1st gear is very low, requiring less rear axle gearing) and they can handle all the power you can throw at them. but again you are talking big dollars. and they are not necessary if you have a mild/moderate street build. but if you have a blower, turbo, or nitrous and 12" slicks that hook hard and you are beyond the point of blowing 727's, you will want to look into them. http://www.jericoperformance.com/

if you have an extreme application that needs overdrive you would have to look at Lenco

it depends on your build.

Never a GV on a Mopar, but I've had a few Laycock overdrives (GV is a P-Type Laycock) on MGs and Triumphs. As long as you don't try to reverse with the overdrive engaged they should be just about bulletproof.

I don't know about the final ratio but it does not feel like 2.76.

Like I said it's 70 MPH at 3000 rpm. My wife's car has the 2.76 in it and it's no where near that. My transmission may be geared differently than stock as it's a race transmission from SMR. Maybe the gears in the tranny are lower to start with...I don't know for sure but like I said it feels like 323's when the OD kicks in.

I agree that the split shifting crap is just that.

Have a buddy that used to sell them.......if you ask him about them now you best duck....swapping in a trans with a lock up convertor will also help drop the rpm.....both of our dd, one is a diesel with a very efficient, triple disc t/c feels like it is shifting into another gear when it locks up, rpm drop is right around 300-400....

having an OD will be pricey any path you choose.

i've never heard bad things about the GV overdrives. you can also switch to a more modern trans with OD/Lockup converter (whether mopar or gm) but both will also require cash on hand; they might get slightly better mileage because of the lockup converter, but take a lot more work getting them to fit and getting the electronics correct.

my only suggestion is that if this is an extreme build (very high torque / hp) that even 727's will start hacking. at that point you would go with a jerico manual trans setup (they are not overdrives, final 1:1 but 1st gear is very low, requiring less rear axle gearing) and they can handle all the power you can throw at them. but again you are talking big dollars. and they are not necessary if you have a mild/moderate street build. but if you have a blower, turbo, or nitrous and 12" slicks that hook hard and you are beyond the point of blowing 727's, you will want to look into them. http://www.jericoperformance.com/

if you have an extreme application that needs overdrive you would have to look at Lenco

it depends on your build.
4l80e's will withstand 1500 or so hp.......

Who has them, and what is your opinion?

I have 3

Why would i have 3 in 3 VERY different vehicles.....

It is better than a od trans, like another stated the useless gear splitting

The gear splitting is what makes it even better

I can use the gv to split other gears when needed, and that is so so more helpful then just simply adding another gear only used after your last.

I don't know about the final ratio but it does not feel like 2.76.

Like I said it's 70 MPH at 3000 rpm. My wife's car has the 2.76 in it and it's no where near that. My transmission may be geared differently than stock as it's a race transmission from SMR. Maybe the gears in the tranny are lower to start with...I don't know for sure but like I said it feels like 323's when the OD kicks in.

I agree that the split shifting crap is just that.

You have a junk TC then.... there is no way it knocks your 3.55 to a 3.23, you have a tc issue or trans issue.

I have 3 GV's and installed over 20 GV's in many different types of vehicles none have only dropped 300 rpm if that happened i'd have many a pissed off customers...

Saying the splitting is crap is just dumb since it gives so many options to the 3 gears you have.
Sad that the importance of it isn't understood.

The girl's dad uses one on his tow rig for the race car. He averages about 14mpg on the highway pulling the enclosed trailer fully loaded. The truck has a carbureted 468 CI BBchevy in it so 14 mpg is pretty freaking good.

Will the GV unit bolt to the stock tranny mount in my 70 swinger?

I know people who have them and like them, and only a few who who don't. You go from a three speed to a six speed. I opted for a 200R4 that I love, but seriously considered the GearVendors. I now get better gearing and a better overdrive. Last year with the 904 I did 70 mph at 4000 rpm. Now I run 80 mph at 2800 rpm. I am very happy.

like i said i have two good friends that run GV units. they love them.. they run 3.55 gear and a tall tire and it mellows them out some (2.76 IIRC). i'm sure there is an instance that splitting gears may be good.. towing maybe? but to me the delay is too much for anything else really. plus for that money i think i would rather have something that gives me both a better first gear and a better OD ratio... but hey thats me. if you think splitting gears with a lame OD ratio and no improvement in first gear is great who am i to argue go spend the money on a GV unit.. they are strong and my friends don't have issues with them.. well other then a couple stupid lil thing..

I have one in my Duster

30" tall rear tire...4:30 rear...75mph @ 2400 rpm, the sweet spot!

I see used ones less than $1500 from time to time

I would buy one again. I slightly modified the tunnel to get it to fit as high as I wanted to keep the pinion angle on my rear end realistic.

FYI....it is NOT a soft shift....you now when it hits

I have one that I bought used. I'm running a 4:10 gear and 28" tires. I can run the freeway passing cars at about 80 mph just under 3000 RPM, or I can run in the low 70's mph at about 2200-2300 RPM.

Being a street strip car I like the 4:10 gear and the ability to lower the RPM on the freeway. For me that is the big benefit, you can actually drive your car and keep up with traffic on the freeway without the irritation of having to run the car over 3000 rpm on extended road trips.

I will say up in Vegas last month I did experiment with splitting gears on the 1/4 mile with no real improvement in ET or MPH.

As far as installation on my 68 Dart I opted to lower the trans mount 1/2" instead of taking a hammer to the floor board to make some additional clearance where the overdrive is located.

My uncle has one in his Travco 320 that he bought new...he put it in when the thing was under a year old, never had a problem with it. The Travco should probably be in a museum, it is pristine

200R4 all the way if you don't wanna cut the tunnel. That said if you don't mind cutting the tunnel, look at the 6L90 tranny. 6 Speed auto with great ratios so you can rear 410 no problem.

-
Back