Gen III tranny options?

-

HP2

Reaction score
I'm still gathering parts for my build. Have a 6.1 Hemi and a 46RH for the 71 Duster but have started to hesitate.
Wouldn't a modern tranny with more gears be good? Time flies and it's hard to keep up with evolution!
When it comes to size I need to do some cutting and fabbing a new support to make the 46RH to fit. Then I could cut a little more and make room for something newer and better with more gears. Or is there a slimmer multi gear tranny out there?
Best shift-bang for the bucks? What options do we have?
Maybe I should add that cost is also a factor...

Cost is what is gonna suck. If you're not doing serious drag racing, a 545rfe would probably be the lowest cost of more than 4 speeds. Nag 1 is a lot tougher, but, twice or more the cost of the 545 to get wired up. Considering a manual as well?

Cost is what is gonna suck. If you're not doing serious drag racing, a 545rfe would probably be the lowest cost of more than 4 speeds. Nag 1 is a lot tougher, but, twice or more the cost of the 545 to get wired up. Considering a manual as well?

Plan is to attend the Swedish version of Street Week, so drag racing -YES SIR! Hoping to get into high 6's. I don't know if you can call it serious drag racing though.
What's the big difference from the A518 46RH I already have?

Plan is to attend the Swedish version of Street Week, so drag racing -YES SIR! Hoping to get into high 6's. I don't know if you can call it serious drag racing though.
What's the big difference from the A518 46RH I already have?
I would run what you have already, then. Can be built stronger. The 518 is a 4 speed, the 545 is a 5 speed.

I would run what you have already, then. Can be built stronger. The 518 is a 4 speed, the 545 is a 5 speed.
I might do that, but first I wanna find out what options I have before I decide.
My tranny man has told me it can pretty easily be beefed up to handle 600 hp but I forgot to ask how much money he needs :)

Last edited:
8-speed 8HP70 with a standalone controller.

318/8 Speed Swap
I love ZF trannys (have one in my BMW 535d GT). The 530d I had before I drove 185k miles with no problems. 500 ft lbs. And I drove it hard.
I found out that the BMW version is called 8HP90 or 8HP70 depending on how much torque they can handle (1k or 700 ft lbs).
I can get one used with 12 months Warranty for around $1,200 over here :icon_fU: Does anyone make an adapter kit?
Will email Sound German Automotive and some questions!

I can get one used with 12 months Warranty for around $1,200 over here :icon_fU: Does anyone make an adapter kit?

Unfortunately, there aren't any adapters for the BMW version since the Dodge versions are so plentiful here in the states. The Dodge 8HP70 transmissions can be found fairly cheap, but the 8HP90s are pretty high dollar.

I run an Extreme Automatics Stage 2, 200R4 with a 3800 stall, triple disc lock-up converter from Precision Automatics. It's the best automatic trans I've ever driven. With the lock-up feature, it's like having a 5 speed automatic.

They make a Stage 3 version that's even stronger. It's light, compact and very tough. It uses a Reid SFI rated bell housing to bolt to my 5.9 Magnum block. They also make a bell housing for the Gen 3's.

200R4 3 (Large).jpg

Heart (Medium) (2).png

Rob, while I love you like brother... I'd rather you not be offering up my tranny to every guy with torque concerns.. Trannys are quite expensive you know and this one's already slipping.. I think I overheated it a couple times..

That sounds like somethin you'd do.

Rob, while I love you like brother... I'd rather you not be offering up my tranny to every guy with torque concerns.. Trannys are quite expensive you know and this one's already slipping.. I think I overheated it a couple times..
Maybe the dipstick isn't calibrated correctly and shes low on tranny fluid.

I run an Extreme Automatics Stage 2, 200R4 with a 3800 stall, triple disc lock-up converter from Precision Automatics. It's the best automatic trans I've ever driven. With the lock-up feature, it's like having a 5 speed automatic.

They make a Stage 3 version that's even stronger. It's light, compact and very tough. It uses a Reid SFI rated bell housing to bolt to my 5.9 Magnum block. They also make a bell housing for the Gen 3's.

View attachment 1715423519

View attachment 1715423520
Thanks for your input!
How much did you pay for all that?

Thanks for your input!
How much did you pay for all that?

Here's the current price list. I sourced my converter from Precision of New Hampton. It was around $1200, and bought the Reid Bell Housing from Jegs for $300 something. I did make my own cross-member, but US Cartool offers one now as well. It did require modifying the torsion bar cross member, but not the floor.

The stage 3 trans is said to handle over 1000hp. I'm only putting out 500'ish at the crank, so I went with the Stage 2.

Extreme Automatics

Here's the current price list. I sourced my converter from Precision of New Hampton. It was around $1200, and bought the Reid Bell Housing from Jegs for $300 something. I did make my own cross-member, but US Cartool offers one now as well. It did require modifying the torsion bar cross member, but not the floor.

The stage 3 trans is said to handle over 1000hp. I'm only putting out 500'ish at the crank, so I went with the Stage 2.

Extreme Automatics
Did you get it up all the way so the angle of the driveshaft is the same as before?

-
Back