General questions (scoops, stripes, etc...)

-

Expire

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've just been getting my shopping list ready since I finally got confirmation that I can go pick up the Duster, after they kept me gridlocked for a month. :wack:

So this is a pretty lengthy post, but this is also my first dive into american cars and actually want to have a good time and end up with something I like. So... have at it!

Scoops
-----------------------
Anyways, I was looking at the car as a whole of what I wanted and just wanted to know the opinion of large scoops on small engines? Like I said in my welcome wagon post, I come from most Japanese cars and in that realm, say putting a larger scoop on a stock WRX or an evo hood on a lancer is ricey, in a sense.
When I build up my cars I try to not let others opinions matter but I also don't want to step on toes or make bad blood for having something on it either. If that makes sesnse? I don't want to be that guy.

Which leads to the question, Hemi styled hoodscoops on non-hemi vehicles? I'm talking about the ones that have like the 4in air slot with the dividers in side (I've seen a few people on here with them) :
credit: wicked/6

For reference I was planning to build a nicer 318, looking into the 300-350hp range. Then by next year, depending on where I am on that build + in life will decide if I want to save for a crate engine or 360 from an old truck.

If I weren't going to go with the hem-style scoop for whatever reason, I would probably go for the usual "dual-snorkle" set up. With those in mind, what is considered the best option, buying the fiberglass lift off version, or moulding/bolting it into my current hood and cutting out the area beneath? I'm sure one of those options is significantly cheaper, but I'd also like for it to look pretty well done all around.

Stripes
-----------------------
Does anyone have a picture of all of the stripe kits that came on dusters? Mine has / had kind of the same one as the 340s, except it was /6 so it didn't have a number on the tail end.

But i've seen a few I like more but also don't want to have the wrong striping on it (just because I liked it). Since the striping seems to be a way to tell a trim level of a car (ie: putting the 'evolution' or 'sti' badge on a lancer or wrx...).

Color (just because it might come up)
-----------------------

Was thinking either:

a: plum crazy purple/in-violet, black hood, white striping
b: matte black wrap, gloss black striping
c: bright green / rallye green, black hood, black striping
d: white, black hood, black striping

(all options would be sitting on satin centerline modulars) In case that matters to anyone haha

Thanks for all the help guys, this site is always very informative!

Here are 2 styles of stripes that were available on the 73/74 Dusters. The one with the 340 would just not have the "340" Also, the mid-body stripes are what is most commonly found on the "Gold Duster" cars.

Attachments

• 1973 duster 340.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 552
  • striped 1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 578
Here are 2 styles of stripes that were available on the 73/74 Dusters. The one with the 340 would just not have the "340" Also, the mid-body stripes are what is most commonly found on the "Gold Duster" cars.

Thanks for the pics Gary, mine has the top one without numbers. Did they make them with a 318 decal? Or would I just have to source the '318' and apply it separately, if I wanted one?

The dual snorkle scoop looks so good on Dusters and so many people have installed them that there have been debates on them being OEM on Dusters, which they were not. '72 Demons and '73 and (?)"74 Dart Sports only. But you can mount them just like the factory did on the Dodges - line up the studs and drill accordingly, with two 4" holes in the hood to get the air in. There are posts detailing the location. But cutting out the "diamond" under the scoop within the hood bracing works well too.

Not sure if anyone makes a hood/scoop combo for those scoops. But also consider if it's more practical/convenient to have a lift-off or hinged hood. A glass hinged hood will require weaker hood springs.

It's a conservative, yet functional, scoop that looks good. But it boils down to personal preference.

A scoop patterned after the Demon version will work better because the base will fit the flatter hood than the Dart Sport version which is a little "peaky".

The dual snorkle scoop looks so good on Dusters and so many people have installed them that there have been debates on them being OEM on Dusters, which they were not. '72 Demons and '73 and (?)"74 Dart Sports only. But you can mount them just like the factory did on the Dodges - line up the studs and drill accordingly, with two 4" holes in the hood to get the air in. There are posts detailing the location. But cutting out the "diamond" under the scoop within the hood bracing works well too.

Not sure if anyone makes a hood/scoop combo for those scoops. But also consider if it's more practical/convenient to have a lift-off or hinged hood. A glass hinged hood will require weaker hood springs.

It's a conservative, yet functional, scoop that looks good. But it boils down to personal preference.

A scoop patterned after the Demon version will work better because the base will fit the flatter hood than the Dart Sport version which is a little "peaky".

Oh for sure, it will definitely be functional. I wanted to go holley 600 so I was assuming the engine would be pretty tall with carb/air cleaner on top.

I found this which would be a lift off (I have no problem running hood pins)
http://www.jegs.com/i/US-Body/277/DUH-4/10002/-1?parentProductId=
You mentioned the hood fitting better on a duster scoop, so this one I think would look pretty solid since it's premoulded into the hood, with the bottoms/top vents cut already.

But i've also found the snorkles seperate that you just bolt onto an existing hood.

personally I don't like the hemi style hoodscoop on anything that doesn't have a hemi...or something else that can haul the mail

I think the dual snorkel scoop looks best on our A bodies

but

I also think its your car, your the one driving it,building it, and paying for it

build it as you please

bolt on a 6 inch AAR hood if that's what floats your boat :)
(that would be a GREAT place to mount gauges, by the way)

oh, almost forgot, even an EVO hood on an EVO is ricey ;)

personally I don't like the hemi style hoodscoop on anything that doesn't have a hemi...or something else that can haul the mail

I think the dual snorkel scoop looks best on our A bodies

but

I also think its your car, your the one driving it,building it, and paying for it

build it as you please

bolt on a 6 inch AAR hood if that's what floats your boat :)
(that would be a GREAT place to mount gauges, by the way)

Haha thats how I see it, but coming from 1 car culture where the majority is kids driving their parent's cars with plastidipped wheels to another which seems way more mature. Wasn't sure how that kind of stuff went over. From first impressions it seems like as long as it's mopar things on mopar I should be in the clear haha.

oh, almost forgot, even an EVO hood on an EVO is ricey ;)

I'd prefer the evo over the STi's any day. lol I'm also almost positive that the ones that are sunken into the hood and reversed aren't even functional, I could be wrong though.

Oh for sure, it will definitely be functional. I wanted to go holley 600 so I was assuming the engine would be pretty tall with carb/air cleaner on top.

I found this which would be a lift off (I have no problem running hood pins)
http://www.jegs.com/i/US-Body/277/DUH-4/10002/-1?parentProductId=
You mentioned the hood fitting better on a duster scoop, so this one I think would look pretty solid since it's premoulded into the hood, with the bottoms/top vents cut already.

But i've also found the snorkles seperate that you just bolt onto an existing hood.

I've never seen an OEM or similarly well built aftermarket dual snorkle scoop seperate. But there are some flimsy versions that could. Your link shows a Six Pack scoop on a Duster hood. It's a bit big, but also functional.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/forum/images/dto_garage/users/10549/1033.jpg

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=1714619494&stc=1&d=1368639189

I've never seen an OEM or similarly well built aftermarket dual snorkle scoop seperate. But there are some flimsy versions that could. Your link shows a Six Pack scoop on a Duster hood. It's a bit big, but also functional.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/forum/images/dto_garage/users/10549/1033.jpg

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachment.php?attachmentid=1714619494&stc=1&d=1368639189

Oops, I may have got the names mixed up. Still trying to get all of the terminology down. All I know I was at a sonic with a buddy and someone had a roadrunner with that style hood and I went home and did some research to see if they had a similar one for the duster or if I could mould my own. Found that and figured it was closest to the one I saw (based off of memory).

Then again he may have had a 6pack hood like this, can't really remember haha All I know is that the top slots were about 4-5 inch gap then the hood droppded down the back but never merged with the body. It just ended by making a slight right angle with the hood

Thanks for the pics Gary, mine has the top one without numbers. Did they make them with a 318 decal? Or would I just have to source the '318' and apply it separately, if I wanted one?

Mopar did not offer the 318 callouts originally. I do offer them as an option, however.

I have seen quite a few 'variations' on vertical placement of the side stripes on the 73 Gold Duster. Have other folks seen that? Some go all the way down to the wheel well openings, some above. Some have the rear end right at the point in the rear quarter, some above or below. I have heard it said that this is factory installer variability. Is this true?
Dennis

IN order for ANY scoop to function it MUST be sealed to the carb, otherwise it looses the ram effect. This is right out of the DC handbook. The Hemi scoop works so well because of it's height and it's width. We use it on our '66 Cuda, 416 in competition. Take off the scoop and she slows by .2 sec. Just sayin'

There was a hood scoop option for early 70's Dusters. Looks like 70 Challenger T/A scoop. Can't go wrong there.

The 68 Hemi-style scoop was developed for the 68 Hemi A-bodies. (The WRX is a shrunken version) One problem of the Hemi scoops that they found soon enough was the force the wind created at speed pulled up on the scoop and created problems. I don't know if any actually flew off cars at speed but that's why you'll see up to 5 vertical reinforcement bars in the scoop opening. It also adds drag.

Whatever you do, do NOT bond your scoop to the hood. The joint will eventually crack and ruin your paint job. Use a separate bolt-on scoop.

There was a hood scoop option for early 70's Dusters. Looks like 70 Challenger T/A scoop. Can't go wrong there.

Sorry, but it's been discussed to death and proven several times that the scoop you describe was never available on Dusters from the factory. Only '72 Demons & '73 and(?) '74 Dart Sports. But they look so good that many people added them afterwards.

Gotta be careful with sealing scoops as well. Some designs can cause turbulence and reduce performance. It may be a combination of scoops style and air pan design. But a friend added a factory style scoop to his '64 Plymouth and had inconsistencies he couldn't troubleshoot. When he partially unsealed the air pan, the problems went away.

Large scoop used to signify you had a Hemi inside ( Hemi scoop ). Personally for the Dusters and Demons I always liked the small twin scoops.

Good pics and information but what are the codes for these. I have the top stripe in the pic with the engine number but this is what my fender tags has. Looking for pics of these codes.

V9X Black Bumblebee Stripe / Longitudinal Stripes
V8X Transverse Stripe – Black

I would comment but I want so far off the reservation I am not sure that due to my lack of historical knowledge I even have an opinion. If it floats your boat do it.

-
Back