Generator for Running a Spot Welder?

-

mopars4life

Reaction score
Picked up a good deal on CL for a spot welder (link below).
Welder, Spot
I believe the welder is made by Lenco for snap on.

I don't have a 50a 208/230v circuit in the garage.

I found the generator below with a 50amp circuit, but it's wattage is a bit low based on my research with what this welder runs at (but I am not an expert). This generator, I think would need 11,600 running watts plus you want extra, probably closer to 14-15,000 watts.
H07552 7500 Watt Dual Fuel Elec. – Firman Power Equipment

My question is if anyone has tried using a spot welder like this with a generator and had good results. It has a big draw but doesn't run as continuously as other welders I've seen used with generators. I didn't want to have that line run to the garage as we may be moving. The oven circuit in the house isn't close enough to run an extension to the garage and that's the only 50amp in the house that runs on 230. Just thought I would see if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions? I could run a surge protector on the line to protect the welder if it could work and I would need an adapter for the 4 on the generator to 3 on the welder. I won't be able to afford a 2-3000 dollar generator so my options are limited here.

Running a temporary line to garage would be your cheapest option.overloading a generator wont work.
Spot welder is a big surge,so running amperage has to be able to put up with the 50 amp draw.

Running a temporary line to garage would be your cheapest option.overloading a generator wont work.
Spot welder is a big surge,so running amperage has to be able to put up with the 50 amp draw.
Thanks, not sure a temporary line would be safe or feasible.

The Snap On is just a over priced Lenco unit. Now if you can get it cheap enough then go for it.

https://www.tooltopia.com/lenco-l40...ign=PLA&scid=scbplpLNXL4000&sc_intid=LNXL4000

How much would a 6ga wire cost for the length you need to make a permanent feed to the garage?

$2885.00 vs $1099.00 for the same exact unit WTF.
I think the spot welding clamp and tips are different....I didn’t pay anywhere near what they cost new. Long way from my breaker box and no access to the ceiling to run it. I may get some quotes just for giggles.

I think the spot welding clamp and tips are different....I didn’t pay anywhere near what they cost new. Long way from my breaker box and no access to the ceiling to run it. I may get some quotes just for giggles.

All my wires are under ground, you can get direct bury cable.
Then come up in the wall to a box.

The spec page you linked to for the welder shows 4KVA but that's only about 20 amps. Seems low. The thing that occurs about spot welding, is, unlike something like mig/stick, the spot generates all it's heat in a very short time, and that gets into "peak" so to speak. Meaning you probably cannot skimp on power and do good work

Even so, many generators are overstated. For example, many generators rated at "X" power or amperage won't start some motors because of the surge. Seems like a spot welder sort of fits into that category

In other words I'd want PLENTY of (over)head room for power output at the generator.

That is definitely a Lenco, I have one and its identical. The hand piece shown there is an optional one with the lenco.
50A circuit for this one, its a beast.

I don't see any safety issue with this. I've run our Lincoln TIG/Stick on one like this with out a problem. Use either your dryer outlet or stove, (if accessible)
Welding Extension Cord 50' 50 Amp 250V (DWC83STBLK50)
Looks o
I don't see any safety issue with this. I've run our Lincoln TIG/Stick on one like this with out a problem. Use either your dryer outlet or stove, (if accessible)
Welding Extension Cord 50' 50 Amp 250V (DWC83STBLK50)
Not sure how it is rated at 50A with #8 wire which is only rated for 40A?

Looks o

Not sure how it is rated at 50A with #8 wire which is only rated for 40A?
Thanks for the feedback....that’s what I kind of expected. I thought the same about all the power at once being too much draw. Guess it will gather dust for a bit....

The amps on any wire is determined by the voltage and the load that is being served. If you are asking what is the maximum current allowed on a #8 AWG, that would be 40 amps for a 60 degree Celsius rated wire, 50 amps for a 75 degree Celsius rated wire and 55 amps for a 95 degree Celsius rated wire. The specs for this chord goes up to 90 degrees "C"....Operating temperatures range from -40C to +90C (-40F to 194F).
The 8 gauge, 3 wire (8/3) conductors are rated at 250V, 50A.
NEMA 6-50 configuration.

-
Back