German Shepherd Training

-

LocuMob

Fluid Technician
Reaction score
I recently rescued a GSD along with an Anatolian Shepherd, both are good dogs and have some training. Romeo, the GSD, is 9 months old, Winston is 1 1/2 years old and is pretty mellow, he will lie in his kennel, or on the couch.

Since bringing them home, Romeo has just been a dick to Winston, he chews on his folds of skin, and loves going for his ears. Winston just takes it. Every now and again you get a yelp out of Winston. He's herding the bigger dog way too often, and doesn't seem to care about me telling him no. He goes right back at it if I separate them. He eventually knocks it off, and they get along fine.

They were in a pack of 5 dogs, and I don't think the last owner cared if one chewed on the other. Maybe the other dogs kept Romeo in line, and now there's only the two he's trying to be the top dog?

I work a goofy schedule, but have five days off every other week. They need training, but I'm not having the best luck looking online for some training schedule. Mostly concerned about the GSD, as he's the one who is in need of correcting.

Any of you fellow GSD owners have any books, websites or insight to offer? I'll be putting up a fence so they can get some exercise and I can contain them for training, no big open areas in my house.

We bonded with a 3 day ride home from Idaho to Minnesota, via Illinois, great travel companions.

PXL_20220404_164316602.jpg

Any and all help appreciated, these guys are really good, and are very loving.

Any of you fellow GSD owners have any books, websites or insight to offer

I have two Belgian Malinois, they are like GSD's on crack, lol.

I follow Robert Cabral and Larry Krohn. Both have YouTube videos. I would suggest teaching a solid "leave it" command to the GSD. Robert Cabral had a good vid on YT about that at one time.

I have two Belgian Malinois, they are like GSD's on crack, lol.

I follow Robert Cabral and Larry Krohn. Both have YouTube videos. I would suggest teaching a solid "leave it" command to the GSD. Robert Cabral had a good vid on YT about that at one time.
Cool, I'll check into that!

Notice how Robert rewards the pup, he draws him in a different direction away from the cheese he dropped and treats from the hand. Once the leave it command is solid you can use it for multiple applications, ie; anything you don't want him getting into. My young Mal picked up on it rather quickly, as we have a cat and cats seem like prey to him. It still isn't as solid as I would like but he does direct away from the cat when I tell him leave it.

It's not at all unusual or uncommon for one to pick on the other. We had an Anatolian Shepherd male, a Husky/Shepherd mix male, and we added a Shepherd/Husky mix female to the mix. When it was the 2 males, they got along very well, the Anatolian was the elder (he died in Jan 2021), and clearly the leader. We had a female Rotti/Lab mix when we first brought Charlie (the Husky/Shep male) home, and she was fairly passive.
What I noticed when we first brought Olive (the female Shep/Husky) home, was she would try to initiate play with Charlie, who would interact with her, but that Dunham (Anatolian), would quickly step in, and Charlie would step aside. in the past year or so, Charlie has been playing with Olive much more, often initiating the play, where she was always the first one to start before.
Olive has always been much more aggressive towards Charlie, always biting at his legs and ears, though she very rarely hurts him, and he generally doesn't retaliate. She is much faster than he is, literally runs circles around him, but they get along extremely well. As for training your GSD, I always prefer a gentler approach, using positive rewards like treats and food as a motivation.
Charlie was about 9 months old when we got him, and had absolutely ZERO training, he was about 45 pounds, but he was capable of dragging me around on his leash. (I'm 6'7", around 290 pounds) He also has a wanderlust, and will take off on his own if an opportunity presents, though he has gotten better in the 7 plus years we've had him, but I still don't trust him enough to allow him off the leash anywhere but an off-leash park or a fenced yard.
Patience is the key IMO, learning what your dog responds best to will pay dividends in training. I have used food with great success, in training several of my dogs, and kindness.
At the end of the day, sometimes dogs simply have to establish for themselves which is the leader, and all you can do is ensure that they do not hurt each other. Neutering will go a very long way in this regard as testosterone triggers more aggressive behavior in any animal than anything else.

Good luck with your pups, they are great companions that provide unconditional love and ask very little in return.

always biting at his legs and ears, though she very rarely hurts him, and he generally doesn't retaliate
This sounds like my dogs to a tee. Romeo will walk through the kitchen into the living room, hanging off Winston's fur.

a gentler approach, using positive rewards like treats and food as a motivation
I learned that a couple of dogs ago, and have used it a little with these guys.

was capable of dragging me around on his leash
You're telling me! I'm amazed at the pulling power of a GSD puppy.

trust him enough to allow him off the leash
This is the opposite with my dogs, the Anatolian will wander, and while Romeo is fine by himself, he will follow if Winston wanders off.

Neutering will go a very long way
They are both neutered, so I'm glad it's not worse.

Good luck with your
Thanks! I read a little and knew I had taken a bigger challenge than I originally thought. I actually called a friend to try to talk me out of taking the dogs. But my friend who had them talked me into both, I originally wanted Winston, soooo mellow. But I'm glad I took both, they are buddies, and my friend didn't have to split them up, and better yet, they didn't go to a shelter like he was planning.

Romeo has pointed out all the things in my house that need to be thrown out, so that's a good thing.

Notice how Robert rewards the pup, he draws him in a different direction away from the cheese he dropped and treats from the hand. Once the leave it command is solid you can use it for multiple applications, ie; anything you don't want him getting into. My young Mal picked up on it rather quickly, as we have a cat and cats seem like prey to him. It still isn't as solid as I would like but he does direct away from the cat when I tell him leave it.
That was helpful, for me. I know I'm not the best trainer, and it showed me a couple things I do wrong. I'll definitely check out some more of his videos.

The younger one is still a puppy, does he have his permanent teeth yet?
Here is what I have learned;
Dogs need chew-toys and a digging box. But most of all, my dogs need exercise. Enough to make them tired and nap the day away. He needs to run. I put him on a schedule, that suits me, and after a short time, he started to come asking for it. And dogs have to understand their names, so that they know when you are talking to them, when there is more than just one in the room.
And I had to establish TWO-WAY communication, so that he can come and make his needs known. When he was young and acting stupid, it was because he had no proper way of communicating.
So the way we did this was; I taught him to put a paw on my leg whenever he wanted something. I taught him, one or two word phrases that he soon recognized and responded to. I always preceded the question with his name so that he understood that I was addressing him specifically. Here are some of them; Hungry? Thirsty? Run? loving? (which is petting and grooming) Outside? Inside? Walk? (which means go take care of business), and you can add whatever is germane to your way of life. His response to the correct question I had to learn. Georgie's was easy; he gave me a propeller tail, which he only ever displays in this way.
After that it was extremely handy to teach him the basics which are; NO!/down/stop/heel/sit/stand/jump-up/stand-up/stay/wait/turn around/back-up/move over/ and things like; "more?", as in more food, more loving more running, whatever more might apply to. It is so great when my dog comes to me for a second helping. And like "All-done/ all-done?", as in that's it for whatever we were doing, or are you finished?
>I have never used food as a training aid. I established dominance right away, the day I brought him home from the shelter, and I claimed everything in sight; then slowly showed him which things were permissible to be done.
Dogs are pack animals, and I have never had one that wouldn't give up dominance to me. They are not real good decision-makers, so you gotta take charge. Failure to do this will lead to social problems. Dominance does not mean to physically hurt them. They need to understand that the same hand that feeds them, and pets them, also corrects them, with knuckles in the ribs; just enough to get his attention.
After that, they need a lot of attention in the younger years. Mine comes for loving quite a lot, even at 10 years old. But he is good with five minutes, then "all done", and off he goes.
In case you got the wrong impression, I have only rescued/rehomed, lessee; Georgie, Duke, Sparky, Milo, and Jake, so five dogs in as many years. But as the town Garbage-man, I know at least fourty or more other dogs, most of which are friendly to me, and I dog-sit several of them, which always go home, having learned something from the Garbage-man..
>Oh, and one more thing; dogs use their faces to indicate things, watch carefully. When the nose points to something, you gotta figure out what he is trying to communicate. When the nose points, it is sometimes very fast, and easy to miss. So I ask him again; "what does Georgie want?", and he will repeat it.
His eyes and ears and tail are his principal tools of communication. His eyebrows will say a lot about his mood. His tail had it's own language, and is not always in-sync with his brain. When his ears are forward, he is curious and this is the best time to teach him anything; he is wanting to learn. Learn to recognize his happy-smile.
And recognize his "I gotta go take care of business", tell. In that way you won't have a yard full of greasy doggy-turds to deal with. My dogs go in the ditch, alongside the country road during exercise time, which is running a mile or more in the country, so I don't even have to scoop it up. But I always carry bags with me at all times, just in case. Cuz everybody knows me, and it wouldn't be good to catch the garbage-man not picking up after his own dog, lol.
Of the many things I have learned from my dog George, the overlying thing is that he, for one, is a daymn smart dog, and I would never have known that unless we had got to know eachother. Before this adventure, I had a very low opinion of animals, dogs included. Now, George has become part of the family, and responds to over three dozen spoken communications. Plus we read eachother's body language. He is 10 now, 7 of those have been with us. I will miss him when his time comes.
Georgie was fostered from the shelter, twice prior to us taking him home. To this day I cannot understand that. I suppose, he was not well-understood, and nobody took the time to get to know him. For us, he has been golden.
Oh, BTW George is 70 pounds and because he can practically talk, lol, he has free-range inside and outside, but spends most of the winter inside. He has learned to show affection in various and pleasant ways.
>Oh yeah, barking inside , even when announcing visitors, was never allowed. I sleep poorly enough without being awakened by no stinking barking dog.
The way I did this was a one-two punch. I put a leash on him in the house during the training period. Then whenever he barked I grabbed him, and, simultaneously said "quiet!" and give him a slap under the chin. The leash had a dual purpose; first so I could chase and catch the bugger to administer the correction, and second he was never allowed to bark while on leash. A 70 pound dog can run really fast, lol, so the leash made it easier to catch him, when he knew he was gonna get a slap..
Georgie responded right away and now, because he can communicate so well, he only ever barks to come inside, and it is just one modest " hello; anybody there?" type of bark.
Other dogs were less willing to STFU. But if they were mine or I was dog-sitting, I never let them get away with it.

Last edited:
Bela Lugosi, our last GSD. My wife worked with him for a couple weeks before we took him to classes. He was easily the best, most obedient in class. She got a lot of tips from Leerburg too. I think that’s how it’s spelled.

E7DCCC7F-CCF3-47B3-8F4E-2BAF164D62AD.jpeg

The younger one is still a puppy, does he have his permanent teeth yet?
They look like full size choppers.

All good points you mentioned. This is my first GSD, but I've had Rottweilers and a Flat Coated Retriever as well. The Flat Coat was the easiest to train, and was a good well behaved dog that really didn't need much training. The first Rottie was 2 1/2 years old when we got her, and was a great dog as well. I taught her a few things, she responded very well. The last Rottie was very playful, my ex mistook that as naughty. (She wasn't a dog person) She loved it when I'd get down on the floor and play with her. But she left me way too soon after some health issues.

I know the head tilts and paws on me mean something, and usually the list is short, food, water, outside, walk or loving.

I know GSD's are a unique bunch, with more possibilities to make training errors on my part. I got lucky with my previous dogs, and Winston, in that I didn't need as much time invested in training them. Oh well, Romeo is smart and I didn't know how alert he'd be, he sees everything that moves it seems.

Last edited:
I've been busy with work the last few weeks, and haven't had much time or energy to do much training. I should have watched some videos earlier, I watched one today and made my walks so much easier! I've thrown most of what I thought out the window, and used one simple thing I saw and the dogs didn't go ape **** when they saw other dogs, and the GSD isn't pulling like a freight train. Amazing what one behavior correction can do!

Richard Wolters has written some excellent books on dog training.
I have Family Dog, but my books are still boxed up. YouTube is very convenient, I watched a few minutes and was outside applying the info. I'll have to find the book and read though it.

-
Back