Get rust out of stored radiator

-

armyofchuckness

The Flying Valiant
Reaction score
I have an original 1964 radiator that's been recored to a three row, so it cools nice, but looks like a stock radiator. I took it out of the car four years ago for the start of the restoration, and now, like most metal things do in Florida, there's surface rust all over the inside of it.

Is this something that I can fix myself or is this something I have to take to the radiator shop? There's really not that much advice online for treating radiators that aren't still in a running car. Thanks!

Take it to a local radiator shop and have them throw it in their cleaner tank. Copper or aluminum core radiators don't rust so I don't get what is happening.

Put the cap and on lay it down flat and fill it with a CLR/water mix, let it sit for awhile and flush out and run

That's what they make radiator shops for.

Thats assuming you can find a radiator shop...

That's very true. Unfortunately, it is fast becoming a dying art form. That is, at least for passenger cars. For big trucks however, it's a little different story.

The rust is likely from the iron block reacting to the water. I use distilled water in mine with out any rust issues.

-
Back