Getting my set of BMW seats with belts soon...

-

KevinB

Reaction score
This is for my 66 Dart, I narrowed it down to what I think it the best seat with integrated belts... 2012+ BMW 640i and 650i seats.

They have more adjustments than I'll ever need, and heat and ventilation, if I can figure out how to add switches for them haha

And yes, I know I need to reinforce the floor. I found a set in Fort Worth and am buying them this week

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 5.25.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 5.28.55 PM.png

Do those have built-in inertia locks, or a separate trigger module for the shoulder restraints?

Do those have built-in inertia locks, or a separate trigger module for the shoulder restraints?
Good question...I know M3 seats are very commonly used, and I've never seen anyone mention that they lack a locking mechanism, so I assume they don't. And if they don't then I assume the 650i seats also have an inertia lock...but that's a lot of assuming so I'll make sure to check

Good question...I know M3 seats are very commonly used, and I've never seen anyone mention that they lack a locking mechanism, so I assume they don't. And if they don't then I assume the 650i seats also have an inertia lock...but that's a lot of assuming so I'll make sure to check
Either way works fine, but if it uses a separate module be sure to grab that and the wiring for it while you're there. I have a feeling you wouldn't want to pay BMW dealer prices on that stuff...

Either way works fine, but if it uses a separate module be sure to grab that and the wiring for it while you're there. I have a feeling you wouldn't want to pay BMW dealer prices on that stuff...
Ohh cool...good to know it's a part issue and not something buried in an ECU. I did just read about a guy who has these seats and his wife wrapped the belt around the back of the headrest and locked it. He had to take the headrest off to get the belt unwrapped, so it sounds like it was an inertia belt locking and not having the slack to unlock.

Those seats would look really good used in conjunction with an A-body console since the shape of the stitching complements the shape of the console.
Curious, what's the ballpark price in Texas? I'm certain it would be much higher if they could be found in SoCal.

Those seats would look really good used in conjunction with an A-body console since the shape of the stitching complements the shape of the console.
Curious, what's the ballpark price in Texas? I'm certain it would be much higher if they could be found in SoCal.
I totally agree about the console, hadn't even thought of that. There's actually a fair amount of sets of them on Ebay from California...with not having to pay for shipping you could find them reasonably. I'm getting my set at a pretty good price, but expect to spend $400-500 per seat. IMHO that's not a bad price up front, but you have to realize they may need some repairs or have issues of course

Ohh cool...good to know it's a part issue and not something buried in an ECU.
Not saying it couldn't be buried in the ecu, or as part of the airbag system, for instance. But the two types I am familiar with (early and late Sebring), one used an inertia lock and the other had a module mounted under the console (kind of like a mercury switch). Just know what you need (if anything) ahead of time to avoid headaches and frustration.
Those are really nice looking seats, by the way! I wonder how much work the matching rear seat would be...?

Not saying it couldn't be buried in the ecu, or as part of the airbag system, for instance. But the two types I am familiar with (early and late Sebring), one used an inertia lock and the other had a module mounted under the console (kind of like a mercury switch). Just know what you need (if anything) ahead of time to avoid headaches and frustration.
Those are really nice looking seats, by the way! I wonder how much work the matching rear seat would be...?

I've been thinking about that...my plan was always to get them redone in leather anyway, I'm thinking just some classic vertical lines on the sitting position back centers, with lines at the edges that curve up and away on the ends of the bench...to sort of imply a bolster even if there isn't one

I think the E-46 seats look better (I may be biased as we owned one - 2004 330ci convertible with sport suspension).

DW157037.JPG
DSC01341.JPG

Seats Acquired! They need a little more cleanup, and I need to see if I can get the few dents in the leather out with some heat, but I got them! One seatbelt is locked because of the wreck, the other one is slow to retract, so I’ll probably just buy a pair of new retractors and belts. There’s a few clips missing for one side trim panel so I’ll order those, but can’t wait for my little 12v battery to arrive so I can test them

IMG_0038.jpeg

IMG_0039.jpeg

Love to see some install pics.
How are you going to charge the separate battery?
Since the floor has to be reinforced I won’t be installed per se, more like sitting them in there, soon. I’ll send pics but what separate battery are you talking about?

"can’t wait for my little 12v battery to arrive so I can test them"

I must have misunderstood. I thought you were going to use a separate battery, though I could not imagine why. LoL

"can’t wait for my little 12v battery to arrive so I can test them"

I must have misunderstood. I thought you were going to use a separate battery, though I could not imagine why. LoL
Oh ok…sorry I just used the 12v on my mower for testing…but I couldn’t figure out the harness. I got the thigh support to move but that was it! Gonna let the restoration shop figure it out. I suck at electrical

Those look great. I have considered getting some nice Lexus seats for my car.

Ever got these installed in the car? I'm looking into bmw seats myself.
I have them bolted in temporarily, but it’s clear the base of the seats are taller, I’m thinking about using dropped floor pans. It’s unclear if the seats are going to deman being hooked up to an ecu, I’ve read conflicting reports on that. Not going to know for at least 8 months.

I have them bolted in temporarily, but it’s clear the base of the seats are taller, I’m thinking about using dropped floor pans. It’s unclear if the seats are going to deman being hooked up to an ecu, I’ve read conflicting reports on that. Not going to know for at least 8 months.

Could you take pictures as you do your install and post them please? I have to do full floors on a 64 Valiant and I need seats as well - there are none at the moment. I've considered going down the same road you are, any help and info would be appreciated.

Could you take pictures as you do your install and post them please? I have to do full floors on a 64 Valiant and I need seats as well - there are none at the moment. I've considered going down the same road you are, any help and info would be appreciated.
As much as I can, but I’m going to have a resto shop do the work starting in the summer, but I’ll try to get them to document the floors and seats

-
Back