Getting ready to build a shop- first time in many decades I have done so- perusing this forum for ideas.

-
Detroit? Safer?? I'd rather take my chances with the volcano! :)
Yeah, our volcano doesn't kill you, could make you homeless. Only death on the 2018 eruption is a guy that used to to commit suicide- and the kalapana and Pahoa fields didn't kill anyone. The Kalapana flow did end a major popular subdivision called royal Hawaiian gardens, and elvis did one of his movies around there in a place call the queens bath- I was lucky enough to have experienced in back in 1983 before it was taken. Yeah, we have killer gun control, almost never a shootout here!

What if you get 2 containers and build a roof on it?

(The extra cost of the one container may offset the less cost of the concrete pads)

View attachment 1716008903
There are come guys that did this exact way- or one container in the middle like I am going to do, with open wall contruction out from it for ventilation. It gets unbelievably hot on those container homes like this one here- there are at least two on my farm community alone. Most of thier solar goes to AC LOL. But that looks very nice. I need lots of concrete pad and roof, not much enclosed space. I am going to build an entire room on top of my container that will be sealed and insulated with AC as a man cave. It wil have it's own dedicated solar supply to run a dehumidifier and AC system in a 8x40x8 room.

Over here if that happened, you would be told no insurance if you build on that same land - mostly used for earthquake and flood prone areas.

Good luck with your build. Best advice I can give is make sure you have adequate ventilation - or good air flow. Humidity will hurt your tools, projects, parts and be unpleasant to work in.
The state subsidizes zone 1 housing, it's a smart gamble, 50 years of property taxes between flows generally.

youd be better off figuring it out yourself than asking anyone here.
I have got some great ideas and advice looking on this forum so far, really appreciate it. While I am pretty set on the actual structure now, it's Hawaii unique, the things guys have done inside the shops are super cool. One of the biggies is what I seal the slabs with and how intricate to paint the floor if at all, and how smooth to make the slabs.

Seriously- been to detroit- the volcano threatens nothing but your house LOL. And after words, you can build your house again- this time, about 70-90 foot higher in Elevation LOL.
If you plan to have a lift, consider pouring separate footers with some thick high psi concrete for the spots on the floor it will be bolted to.

A blast cabinet should never go outside. The damp air causes the media to cake up.
You know, I live in soggy Washington State. My compressor and blast cabinet are in an uninsulated wood shed that is a foot off the ground. Its been that way for 12 years and I have never had this problem. Is it the type of blast material? the configuration of the cabinet (a cheap one from Harbor freight)?

If you can, run an ethernet connection to it. Made my life easier. Faster and more reliable than wifi.
LOL- my off grid is off grid. I have to do the sattelite thing- probably will though. I am literally surrounded by lava fields, no electricity or cell phone towers are forthcoming in my lifetime most likely. I am working on building a steam powered generator, wood gasifiers to run the steam engine etc. going full mad max here.

-
Back