Getting screwed over on a payment for a parts purchase?

-

hemi71x

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Have any of you been screwed over in buying and selling over the internet and what you ultimately did about it?

Here's my story and now dilemma.

I recently purchased some parts from an ebay seller, and everything went well with the transaction.
I was a happy camper.
Then the seller informed me that he has some more parts to sell to me, if i was interested.
Sent me pictures, and then after that, i liked what i saw, and we agreed on a price for the items, and the mailman.
Sent the money thru Pay Pal, friends and family.
Now i guess that's where i made a big mistake.
Now he is telling me, the payment has never gotten into his account, and when i talk to the Pay Pal agent, she tells me money IS in his account.
So i guess now this is a he says, he said situation.
What do you do?
Just now suck it up, and realize i got screwed out of 113 bucks?
Any of you out there get taken to the cleaners, so to speak, on a deal gone wrong?
Guess this a first one on me.
Jim V.

Also was the first one friends and family and was the second one suggested to use friends and family to save money?..

Have any of you been screwed over in buying and selling over the internet and what you ultimately did about it?

I recently purchased some parts from an ebay seller, and everything went well with the transaction.
I was a happy camper.
Then the seller informed me that he has some more parts to sell to me, if i was interested.
Sent me pictures, and then after that, i liked what i saw, and we agreed on a price for the items, and the mailman.
Now he is telling me, the payment has never gotten into his account, and when i talk to the Pay Pal agent, she tells me money IS in his account.
What do you do?
Any of you out there get taken to the cleaners, so to speak, on a deal gone wrong?
Jim V.
I thought that PayPal refunded your money as long as you can prove you didn't get the merchandise? The can can verify payment

I was a happy camper.
What do you do?
Jim V.
Another reason why I don't buy anything online. I hope that it works out for you.

Also was the first one friends and family and was the second one suggested to use friends and family to save money?..
The first time was an ebay purchase, and that comes right out of my account.
I felt comfortable with the seller, so i felt friends or family wouldn't be an issue, for a second private purchase, off ebay.
Guess that's now turning out to be my error.

The first time was an ebay purchase, and that comes right out of my account.
I felt comfortable with the seller, so i felt friends or family wouldn't be an issue, for a second private purchase, off ebay.
Guess that's now turning out to be my error.
I was thinking maybe purchased like a cheap $7 item and everything went fine and that was more or less the bait... Around $100 is basically my threshold for online from a private party.. I can live losing that but getting into 500 or $1,000 from somebody I don't know I can't afford that..

There are scammers everywhere. Paypal will not always defend the guy that is in the right.
CL and FB Marketplace has scammers, but on the car sites of FB, you can get referenes for the seller.
Unless you are dealing with a real friend, best to NOT f and f.

I bought parts from a member here but when I got them they were neither usable or restorable. Pointless to name him because it becomes "he said" and "I said"
Parts went in the garbage and I just moved on.

You need to out the seller here. Lots of us use Ebay and Paypal. We need to know about this scumbag.

Last edited:

I was a happy camper.
What do you do?
Jim V.

Unfortunately, unless the seller decides to be an upstanding individual you're probably screwed.

You can ask PayPal for proof of the account that the money was deposited in, which you can screenshot and send to the seller. That's about all you've got. If the seller still insists they don't have it, you're out the money, because there's no protections on "friends and family". If it's for a sale/purchase, don't use "friends and family"

I had a somewhat similar deal with a buyer here, he payed me, I sent the parts, and then he claimed he never got them. But I had a tracking number and had provided it to PayPal. They protected me from the claim he filed, even after I sent him evidence that the parts had been shipped and received at the address he provided. Just trying to scam me out of the money. After they resolved the claim in my favor he suddenly "found" the parts. Which is why you shouldn't use "friends and family" if it's actually "goods and services" and why you should always have a tracking number as a seller.

I thought that PayPal refunded your money as long as you can prove you didn't get the merchandise? The can can verify payment

Only if you used PayPal for "goods and services". This includes a 3% fee from the sellers end that is used for the purchase protection. Very similar to a credit card, the fee on the merchant is what provides the buyer protections.

"friends and family" does not include a fee, but it also does not include any purchase protection from PayPal.

The problem is that sellers will ask people to send money "friends and family". If you do that, you have no protection at all. The better way is to tell the seller you will send the extra 3% to cover the fee. If they say no, well, they're a scammer. There's no reason for them not to accept the money as a sales transaction if you include the money for the fee. Unless maybe they're also trying to dodge taxes, but again, that tells you they're shady anyway.

Another reason why I don't buy anything online. I hope that it works out for you.

As long as you follow some basic rules and do your own due diligence, buying online can have just as many protections (and in some cases, more) than buying in person.

Which is why you shouldn't use "friends and family" if it's actually "goods and services" and why you should always have a tracking number as a seller.
^^^ This right here.

A common thread with a lot of these online scam scenarios always seems to be a person paying with "friends and family."

Maybe check to see if there's something your bank can do about it.

I only got scammed for $150 on a carb through Facebook. Sent the money never received the carb. After back and fourth with the seller not getting anywhere I decided to accept my lose not worth my time. I buy and sell all the time, never an issue but there is a lot of **** heads out there.

Leave the guy "Bad Feedback" on your 1st ebay purchase. Tell people he is a scammer so his ebay rating goes down and people will be less likely to buy from him.

Unfortunately, unless the seller decides to be an upstanding individual you're probably screwed.

You can ask PayPal for proof of the account that the money was deposited in, which you can screenshot and send to the seller. That's about all you've got. If the seller still insists they don't have it, you're out the money, because there's no protections on "friends and family". If it's for a sale/purchase, don't use "friends and family"

I had a somewhat similar deal with a buyer here, he payed me, I sent the parts, and then he claimed he never got them. But I had a tracking number and had provided it to PayPal. They protected me from the claim he filed, even after I sent him evidence that the parts had been shipped and received at the address he provided. Just trying to scam me out of the money. After they resolved the claim in my favor he suddenly "found" the parts. Which is why you shouldn't use "friends and family" if it's actually "goods and services" and why you should always have a tracking number as a seller.

Only if you used PayPal for "goods and services". This includes a 3% fee from the sellers end that is used for the purchase protection. Very similar to a credit card, the fee on the merchant is what provides the buyer protections.

"friends and family" does not include a fee, but it also does not include any purchase protection from PayPal.

The problem is that sellers will ask people to send money "friends and family". If you do that, you have no protection at all. The better way is to tell the seller you will send the extra 3% to cover the fee. If they say no, well, they're a scammer. There's no reason for them not to accept the money as a sales transaction if you include the money for the fee. Unless maybe they're also trying to dodge taxes, but again, that tells you they're shady anyway.

As long as you follow some basic rules and do your own due diligence, buying online can have just as many protections (and in some cases, more) than buying in person.
I've only bought 2 items online and that was only because they wasn't available in the stores. I've never bought car parts online. I know people who have and had good luck and others who got ripped off.

Contact eBay and tell them that you were contacted outside of eBay to make a purchase. He’ll get banned from eBay.

I'm not totally familiar with current ebay policies, but once upon a time if a seller offered to sell something to you outside of eBay, it was a violation.
I might report him to eBay if I was you. You may not get your money back, but it could help others and it may cause him enough financial impact that he thinks twice..
Hell, he may even suddenly "find" the money.

Hope it works out for you.

Leave the guy "Bad Feedback" on your 1st ebay purchase. Tell people he is a scammer so his ebay rating goes down and people will be less likely to buy from him.
He can leave follow up feedback and explain that he was contacted outside of eBay to make a purchase. eBay don’t like that crap.

-
Back