GIVING IT AWAY

-

easyrider

65 droptop
Reaction score
Well, I'm giving it away. I've been working on this car for 9 years. I started this with the intention of giving it to my grandson. I let him drive it when he was just 11 years old. I hoped that he would like it and want it. He just turned 18 and has no interest in it. he would rather have an I Phone 10. I'm disappointed. I realize I can't make him like what I like.
I'm giving it to my daughter, His mom. Maybe in another 18 years he will appreciate it. My daughter has the room to keep it and the means to take care of it. She wants it and is excited to have it.
I'm building a 63 F100 and have discovered that I like building them better than owning them. It's time to move on.

2 1 2 15 049.JPG

Just asked my 19yr old daughter and she said she would love have this car! Well i let her drive my Duster so i think she has the bug.

It took a few trips of driving the duster on his own before my son really got what it meant. I think it was no fun when I was in the passenger seat telling him what to do. Once he got out on his own....he came back with a smile on his face and a respect for the power of it. LOL. Nice car BTW

Well if your giving it away I'll be right over! What is your address? I would love to have it :) Just kidding... but I'd love to have it. I went though that same thing with my son. I could not get him to like old cars at all. I couldn't get him to help me on our 72 Scamp for more than 10 mins at a time. Supposed to be a father son project. Did it all myself. Couldn't get him to even drive it and when he did is was like my Grandma was behind the wheel! LOL I guess you like it or not... some not so much. He's married and moved 1000 miles away now but I still hope one day? Ha Ha. I gonna enjoy it and he can have it when I'm done with it now. But I do agree with you on the fact that I love working/building them. When I go to cars shows now I see some of my old cars that I have done over the years and I take great pride the the fact the it runs and looks so good. I sold some I wish I'd kept but then I get the bug to build another one. Parts and prices are getting out of hand now. Even a rust bucket junker gets too much money now. But we still do it cause that's what we do :) Good luck on the next venture. At least you can still visit the old girl and take it for a spin just to keep it running right of course.

disappointing for sure, its a different world we live in today with kids and technology. The Reality is your daughter will have way more meaningful/sentimental memories with it once you have departed this fine planet. i too will be giving my youngest daughter a few cars. what happens after she is done with them, well??

In for pics of the 63......I always liked that body style. My dad had a 61.

Also your daughter will love and cherish it... it was built by Dad. That means the world.

good for her ! Too bad for him.....
Our generation is definitely different from the current one.

Well, I'm giving it away. I've been working on this car for 9 years. I started this with the intention of giving it to my grandson. I let him drive it when he was just 11 years old. I hoped that he would like it and want it. He just turned 18 and has no interest in it. he would rather have an I Phone 10. I'm disappointed. I realize I can't make him like what I like.
I'm giving it to my daughter, His mom. Maybe in another 18 years he will appreciate it. My daughter has the room to keep it and the means to take care of it. She wants it and is excited to have it.
I'm building a 63 F100 and have discovered that I like building them better than owning them. It's time to move on.

View attachment 1715255832
Glad to hear it stays in your family. Too nice a car to go to someone who wouldn't appreciate it. Seeing your car made me appreciate a body style I really hadn't before.

I let my grandson drive my Barracuda and I asked him what he thought. His response in full sincerity was " How much do you think it would be worth in a trade for a used Civic or WRX? Those things are sick." Guess who won't be getting my iron.

Nice car...I hope your daughter really appreciates it.

Last edited:
How much do you think it would be worth in a trade for a used Civic or WRX?
Sad
I think if I will my Duster to one of the kids I will put a clause in that they can't sell it for 5 or 10 years. Not that I think either would if they got it right now. Just to make sure...

View attachment 1715255832
Awesome looking car, I would be proud to drive it. AND, it just happens I am available to be adopted! :rofl:

Sad
I think if I will my Duster to one of the kids I will put a clause in that they can't sell it for 5 or 10 years. Not that I think either would if they got it right now. Just to make sure...

Neither one of my kids (grown and own their own homes) have room for my barracuda, and wouldn`t know how to maintain it anyway.
Guess it will be sold by the wife, or one of them, and the $ plit w/ my older daughter. They are all well rounded and not selfish, not worried about it at all.

Wow that is beautiful. No offence but its crazy to me that any kid in the world wouldnt want that car. When I was 18 i would drive pretty much anything and everything (and I did) it blows my mind that he wouldnt be interested in a free car not to mention a free car his grandfather built! If my grandfather gave me a cat turd i would still appreciate it to this day lol i hope he will come to his senses before its to late.

I will say not everyone is into cars and some should never be behind the wheel of something with power. I've owned many modern performance cars and when I was younger I had a 66 Coronet 500 that is now owned by my dad. I got a 92' Mustang GT and forgot all about that Coronet. Sorry, was just a fun car and looked a million time better (body and paint wise) then the Coronet. I know what its like to drive a 1966 car in modern big city traffic, in the rain and snow, with 4 wheel drums and over powered steering, it ain't fun. My boys may never take interest in cars, and to a point I wish they may not. It's time consuming, expensive, and you need room, tools, and know how and then you still need more money, time and room....

And if you have a kid in your life that's into WRXs, EVOs, Civics, Mustangs, Prius or whatever, they like those cars for the same reasons you like and have yours (its what you wanted as a kid/young adult) and at least you can share a common interest even if your taste in cars vary, but the spirit of ownership and the joy is the same. Nurture it. Someday I'll have a 92' GT again...

My son isn’t enthusiastic about working on them and he wants a newer Challenger as a driver. He does like driving the old iron though and probably put more miles on my dads 58 Apache in a couple of summers than my dad did in 20 years. He has his intelrests that he is really into and has the ability to figure things out. I know when it got down to if he can figure out how to take care of the issues that pop up on an old car. You can find pretty much anything out using the internet now days.

My oldest son (who’s 53) said he’d love to have my 47 Dodge when I’m done with it. Said it would have a home in a locked garage and only be driven on nice sunny days - he would be shipping it to the Netherlands where he lives. Told him done deal!

She's a beauty! Congrats to the new owner.

Just so you know, that's the sexiest early A I've ever seen.

Don't worry about the kid. He's just doing dumb teen stuff. He'll grow out of it.

That is just dumb.

What is wrong with the millennials? Wish someone would have gifted me one!

Car looks like fun to me!

-
Back