Glass installer

-

340sport

Reaction score
Does anyone install glass anymore? No, I don't mean Safelite!
I am looking for someone to come install a windshield and back glass in a 69 Dart. Anyone know of such a person in the Western Maryland area?
I have brand new Precision gaskets, so hopefully that makes it easier.

its not difficult. remove old glass: remove lock strip and lather up the old gasket with smooth Gojo, or slice with a box cutter if you have a new gasket . Push out glass on corner or end with your foot from the inside. youll feel it start to peel away from the gasket. then have your helper assist from the outside. Do not pry corner with a tool! Insertion is gasket first with applicable sealer or dry. Lube it up again, put a string in the gasket and set the glass on top. try and flip the gasket lip over the glass with a plastic spudger or non marting tool. then you can use the string to pull out, running it out along the glass perimiter allowing it to pull the lip over the glass. it will settle right in. clean lube off and install lock strip if equipped. work slow and understand the gasket lip holds the glass in. You can use rhe plastic" trim tool " instead of the string method, just work lip over glass an inch at a time. I did my 14.4 square foot 65 Barracuda "Greenhouse" backlight with the spudger method and it worked without a hitch..LUBE IT!

Kitty and I put the front and back glass in Vixen. Removed the front again to give it away when I got a new windshield and reinstalled the new windshield. No string. No rope involved with a lock strip. Kitty was a big help and the first one she had seen me do. When we got done in true female fashion she looked at me and said "is that all?"

It's one of the easiest things you'll ever do.

It TRULY is easy. I have done it on older gasket style cars MANY times. if you are interested in trying it yourself, there are lots of us who could give step by step instructions.

-
Back