Glass Tint

-

Murray

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What has been your experience? Am working on a '68 cuda but this probably applies to other Mopars. I seem to be seeing different glass "tints". I believe the factory had a "clear" and an optional "tinted". There is quite a difference between the two and easily seen. When I look at my glass, which I assume is the "clear", there is to me a light green tint. Am I really looking at a clear glass? Does age cause this? Or does the factory "clear" really have a light tint? I am just confused because some are selling "clear" glass as tinted.

The glass will be marked "TINT" if it is tinted and Near the Pentastar and P#. The markings are made into the glass generally near one corner on the lower part of the glass. Clear Glass does not have anything but the Pentastar and P# as far as I know it does not say "CLEAR" THe glass I have on my Barracuda is a Green tint.

I have glass from a 67 fastback and door glass from a 67 coupe, both are green as can be. Check the markings on it all and no where can I find it marked Tinted. They all have the factory etching. I don't know how much darker tinted could be back then. But then again maybe mine is clear.(green)

Majority of tempered glass does have a bit of color and its typically green. Auto, refrigerator, end table, etc.. You can see the color in the raw edge but the view through the field is "clear" in comparison to actual field tinted. If it is field tinted you can see the coke bottle green look a mile away.

I have glass from a 67 fastback and door glass from a 67 coupe, both are green as can be. Check the markings on it all and no where can I find it marked Tinted. They all have the factory etching. I don't know how much darker tinted could be back then. But then again maybe mine is clear.(green)

here is probably wayyyyyy too much info on glass.(sorry I tend to run on about stuff)
I worked @ Chrysler McGraw glass plant for 30 years. you can find the marking on the "bug" or stencil on the glass to inform you of what type of glass you usually see A or M codes
the thicker the glass the lower the first number (for chryslers anyway.) the type of glass is the second number. 0=clear,2=tint,9= mirrored.
m50= clear glass (usually vent windows,side glass and backlights)
m51= green light tinted (usually vent windows,side glass and backlights)
m60=clear
m61= tint same as m50-1 series but thinner
m69= mirrored glass for the vans in the 80's-90's everywhere but the front glass., ohh and they went metric so it could be a m27.7 or 35.5
m70 same setup as m50-1 series clear and tint designations
m71
oh and for windshields there is a 2 series for color that has a tint band on the top 2-4 inches ie M72.
M61 for tinted, M60 and for clear on vent,quarter and side windows(called sidelights). windshields used a laminated m code and could be anywhere from M70 (clear) m71 (tinted complete glass a very light green) and m72 which has a sunband at the top of the windshield to even thinner windshields up to m90-92 for later model front glass. Most 60's and 70's stayed with the sidelight in the M50-2 or M61-2 range and windshields "usually" came in the low M70-72 series. ummm lemmes see if I can get a pic of my stencil of my 70 with tint it's an A series glass coded A52 5 for thickness and 2 for tint or M27.7
20180210_110454.jpg

and my 66 dart convertible is classified as an A series 52 (same as the M code for my home plant). we didn't get the contract for that glass that 65-66 year. But did pick that glass up from 67 on up. we used flat glass from PPG or pilkington glass plant floats (melted glass floats on a bed of molten Tin is why it's called a float plant.
20180210_111023.jpg

66Dvert, thanks for the help. This is just what I need to understand the different tints seen in various mopars. Darker tints I have seen may have been other manufacturers. I will print and save for future reference.

-
Back