Glove Boxes??

-

coalman

Reaction score
Anyone refinish one of these, blackened them up?? If so what did you use? I was thinking of black dye or black liquid shoe polish. Thanks

I used multiple light coats of Rustoleum rubberised undercoating on the outside to provide support and about five very light coats of Rustoleum enamel flat black on the inside to give it a factory style look.

I used multiple light coats of Rustoleum rubberised undercoating on the outside to provide support and about five very light coats of Rustoleum enamel flat black on the inside to give it a factory style look.
Ok, thanks for your input.....

bummer, Apipco makes a really really nice one for '68-'72

I'm working on a replacement for the molded early A's. at least for 64-66 models anyway. The glove boxes are moving forwards slowly. since I'm still repairing from damage to the garage during the Huricane. they are not quite ready for release yet since I want them to look/fit a bit better. plus It'll never rot which I like down here with humid summers in Florida.
first one "off the press" as they say. the hole alignment was off and the edge was a bit too ragged for me to be satisfied.
small0105.jpg
small0106.jpg
small0108.jpg
small0109.jpg
small0111.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you are doing a nice job!! Thanks for your pictures and feed back....

Looks like you are doing a nice job!! Thanks for your pictures and feed back....
your welcome. I did semi restore the original by using mist coat of flat black and then covering it by spraying satin clear to lock in the color. it worked nice for a few years till the humidity got to it again. that's why I'm doing the ABS ones.

what are they originally made out of?

My best guess is something like cardboard egg cartons, but pressed better....

t
what are they originally made out of?
he originals were made from shredded paper mulch and a water resistant glue. then press formed and heat cured. I watched a company in mexico form those things 30 years ago

The replicas look great, you're obviously a perfectionist! I want one of those when they're in production, even though my cardboard one is fine...

t

he originals were made from shredded paper mulch and a water resistant glue. then press formed and heat cured. I watched a company in mexico form those things 30 years ago

Gee maybe mine were still made here since the car is 52 years old

Gee maybe mine were still made here since the car is 52 years old
they might have been , but they were made in a very similar way to the "mehico" way. the Big 3 loved to small shop most of the little parts. I used to have a part time job after school doing lettering for dash bezels for a lot of GM cars and trucks(got paid per piece .02). save up enough for my first car @ 15yo between that job and the paper route. got me a nice 63 impala convertible that was only a couple (3) years old.

they might have been , but they were made in a very similar way to the "mehico" way. the Big 3 loved to small shop most of the little parts. I used to have a part time job after school doing lettering for dash bezels for a lot of GM cars and trucks(got paid per piece .02). save up enough for my first car @ 15yo between that job and the paper route. got me a nice 63 impala convertible that was only a couple (3) years old.
Ah, the good old paper route, I got 2 cents for each daily paper, and a nickel for Sundays..

Ah, the good old paper route, I got 2 cents for each daily paper, and a nickel for Sundays..
same here.. I had the complete subdivision as my route and had 250 customers 90 of em were sunday only and the rest were 7 day'rs. I got up @ 2:30 for the sunday route just to get done to go to church with my parents.. 5:00 on Monday through saturday. 5 years of that was enough. I did save enough for the car though and that made it alright.

-
Back