Glue, Epoxy, Weld? Plastic repair...

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
What do you use and what would you do to fix this?

1465415828_zpslke7r927.jpg

1465415822_zpsrjwittic.jpg

1465415819_zpsivo0rsip.jpg

1465415810_zpsko8vkj68.jpg

I realize JB weld is certainly not the best, but it does the job. And others have had luck with it. Then there is Devcon Plastic welder, another 2 part. I'm waiting on a test piece to dry with it, so far, the results are...ehhh

Then I've read up on Plastex plastic repair, where they use a plastic powder and a liquid which seems to chemically, not mechanically, bond the plastic.

PLASTEX PLASTIC REPAIR KITS

So I'm waiting for a small $30 kit to arrive from Reno, to give that a try.

I have not tried to actually weld plastic though, with a device similar to a soldering iron, and using a like material, perhaps some pieces from a junk fairing.

I've also heard of guys cutting small fairing pieces and melting them with acetone, or pipe cement from Home Depot. (Oatey brand.) and letting that melt over a couple days, and spread that over aluminum or fiberglass mesh...

SO, with that said, what have you guys had luck with in the past.

It really depends on what type of plastic you are trying to affix together. PVC is one of the easiest (most pipe glues work). Most hard plastics can be crazy glued. Polypropylenes must be heat welded. If PVC glue will melt it, then you are probably in luck with that glue.

It really depends on what type of plastic you are trying to affix together. PVC is one of the easiest (most pipe glues work). Most hard plastics can be crazy glued. Polypropylenes must be heat welded. If PVC glue will melt it, then you are probably in luck with that glue.
I`ve done the plastic weld thing a little. the problem I`ve had was getting compatible plastic filler. If the filler ain`t darn close to what your welding, it won`t hold.

If the underside is not exposed, then thin aluminum, held with double sided sticky tape. Then fix with JB or the filler of your choice.

tried and true permanent repair is still a paste made by mixing tiny pieces of pvc and acetone

I've used JB weld 2 part plastic repair on my 69 cuda grill and it works good so far. Cheap too around $10

that faring is probably polycarbon and can be glued with epoxy. Use the aluminum tape on the back until it sets then pull the tape off or leave it on

2008 FZ1.jpg

faring (3).jpg

faring (5).jpg

If you can go to a motorcycle shop, and get the same type of fairing or side cover for free or cheap, you can use it to make goop to fix yours. Take the other piece, sand all the paint off of a big enough place to get a decent amount of shavings scraped off into a bowl. Then mix some acetone into the shavings and work it until it makes a paste. You can then use that to put your original piece back together. V out the front side a little, so you will have a place to blend and feather the goop you made up before. Have your original pieces ready to stick together before you make the goop, and I would make a fixture to hold the piece in the shape it's supposed to be in. Practice on your junk piece first to get a feel for how it's going to work. This is how you fix busted Sharks Tooth grills also! :)

The U pick it yard here has bikes and the acetone and bits melted works pretty darn good.
Also Gorilla brand duct tape just works killer for holding things while they dry, or solidify.
Used on the inside of the plastics it adds a lot of support, and can stay there.

Pit crewed for a road racer for a while. Joe crashed every now and then......use to just hack the fairing back together with epoxy and a popsicle stick on the back side...was no point in a pretty repair...he was only going to crash it again...

Might go to a hobby shop that sells build it yourself airplanes.
They have all kinds of glues and kickers to repair plastics.
Youtube has tons of tutorials.

Just an update. I did a home remedy "good enough" fix for now until the new fairing arrives.
I ended up using the Plastex 2 part plastic weld. It seemed to work better than I though it would. I experimented on one side using a fiberglass mesh for the cracked side and an aluminum wire mesh for the other side that was completely broken.

Some sanding, then more plastic weld, and sanding again, then 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of rattle can paint with wet sanding in between. This is as close as a color I could get an off the shelf color. Not perfect but hard to tell.

image_zpsvpb9gxxu.jpeg

image_zpsnwxeb1u4.jpeg

1466578194_zps8raufrn9.jpg

1466578198_zpslpxaypqt.jpg

1466578230_zpsa0ihp1uu.jpg

1466578219_zpsb8os9qam.jpg

1466578225_zps25jsei8w.jpg

1466578964_zpsjdilsh6y.jpg

1466578956_zpsidxiivlo.jpg

1466578994_zpsbyvi4apr.jpg

1466578991_zpsaauwpgsz.jpg

1466578986_zpseaxr8gtk.jpg

1466578981_zpsxoxh1c7h.jpg

1466578975_zpszpodcri6.jpg

1466578970_zpsdzpspixm.jpg

Not a perfect repair, but it'll get me down the road riding again.

if you have to weld/glue abs one thing is you can make a slurry out of abs and acetone and use like glue and it is really good.

Looking good man, How are the Dart and Barracuda projects coming along?
The barracuda, I need to finish up the mini tub. And send it off for blasting and priming. Then trunk floor and quarter panel after that. I have my work cut out for me!

if you have to weld/glue abs one thing is you can make a slurry out of abs and acetone and use like glue and it is really good.
I have heard of the that but yet to try it !

You did a great job! By making both sides match, hardly anyone other than someone who owns the same color combo bike will know the difference. I'd save the new fairing, and not use it unless you have a worse "Aw ****!" moment than the last one....lol.

Wow, extend that Ducati pin-stripe over the paint seam and I dont think anyone would even notice. That turned out great.

-
Back