Glue that you can peel back off?

-

ESP47

Reaction score
I sprung for a new 68 Barracuda rallye bezel and am dismantling the old one and at some point whoever worked on it used this white glue that stays slightly malleable to where I was able to peel it off with my fingers but it was strong enough to hold everything in place.

Anyone know of a similar type glue? The old bezel held in some of the lenses with little melted plastic studs but the new bezel doesn't have anything like that to work with. Would be nice to glue things in place but not have it be completely permanent in case a mistake is made. Thanks.

I've used clear RTV before. Worked well.

6EAA1AB1-633C-4B38-8FAF-AF49B4196793.jpeg

There was a removeable window sealant,for gooshing up sliding windows to seal for winter. Peel it off in spring.

Probably pain old Elmers "Moo" Glue. Some hot melt glues work well. There is also rubber cement.

I did not know the aftermarket bezels don't have the melt stakes to hold lenses and frames in place.
It is possible for a weak adhesive to be THE mistake in this particular inst' panel. Everything about the amp gauge is firecracker hot at all times. It's in the same pod as other gauges. Because the limiter is inside the fuel gauge, that gauge is chassis grounded. When the metal frame falls against these 2 gauges, the crisp aluminum needle in fuel gauge turns to ash in a flash. I've got 2 rally fuel gauges with missing needle. One has a burn scar on its screen too. It happened to a owner here once also. So thats 3 known examples. Never tap on a lens. Very light pressure when cleaning. Good luck

Last edited:
Could it have been plain 'ol rubber cement? Stuff is awesome but never tried it on clear plastic lenses
cd10e39b-db84-48ba-9495-e63fee5d8ea8.295e00f70f9971362396e7bc79317371.jpg

Thanks guys, lots of good ideas. I bought a couple of the suggested glues and will give them a shot.

I sprung for a new 68 Barracuda rallye bezel and am dismantling the old one and at some point whoever worked on it used this white glue that stays slightly malleable to where I was able to peel it off with my fingers but it was strong enough to hold everything in place.

Anyone know of a similar type glue? The old bezel held in some of the lenses with little melted plastic studs but the new bezel doesn't have anything like that to work with. Would be nice to glue things in place but not have it be completely permanent in case a mistake is made. Thanks.

Elmer's glue peels off. I remember doing this in school.
upload_2021-11-9_12-58-42.png

-
Back