GM 8.5 10 bolt swap

-

Cowet

Reaction score
I found an extremely cheap 1996 f-body firebird LT1 96 firebird with a t56 transmission that also has a GM 8.5" 10 bolt axle with a posi (LSD) in it.

I'm considering picking up the whole car very cheap and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience the swapping it in an A body?

If so, how would you compare it to a Ford 8.8 swap out of an explorer with LSD?

I'm intending this for a 1970 Dart with a 360 motor in it. I'd like to eventually have between 400-500 horsepower if that's helpful.

Last edited:
I put one in a '69 Barracuda but it was a 69 or 70s 10 bolt. I think the '96 Firebird/Camaro rear ends are wider???

I put one in a '69 Barracuda but it was a 69 or 70s 10 bolt. I think the '96 Firebird/Camaro rear ends are wider???
Plus coil sprung but not much different to make it fit than an explorer. I think this is more of a strength question.

Totally depends on the use of the 400 - 500 horse you speak of. To actually try to use it, and in what context. Or is it just to say you have it. There are researched and written documents that discuss the difference between your two choices. Some of the information deals with strength and some deals with power to the ground application. I do not remember every detail so I wont try to speak like I'm a keyboard expert here and misrepresent. I do remember that it boiled down to the pinion gear and ring gear relationship. They stated that the contact point of the pinion gear, either higher or lower in the base circle of the ring gear, created more energy loss. It also discussed axle wrap, strength and I believe heat build-up. The out come was that the ford axle was the overall better choice. The ford was supposed to have the overall end of the track advantage. I can tell you that I run a mid 10 sec nova at the track with maybe just a little bit more horses (he, he) than you speak of and there is no way (IMHO) the 10 bolt would survive as long as my 12 bolt has.

A friend of mine, long ago, who later sold me his V code 440-6 RR, in winter of 68 he and I were attending Navy electronics schools on Treasure Island. He had a 65, Chevelle, had bought a totaled 67-68 'maro and swapped the engine/ trans and wheels into the Chevelle. During the year or so I was there, he broke TWO 10 bolts and snapped the input shaft off a Muncie which I "got" to help fix.

I found an extremely cheap 1996 f-body firebird LT1 96 firebird with a t56 transmission that also has a GM 8.5" 10 bolt axle with a posi (LSD) in it.

I'm considering picking up the whole car very cheap and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience the swapping it in an A body?

If so, how would you compare it to a Ford 8.8 swap out of an explorer with LSD?

I'm intending this for a 1970 Dart with a 360 motor in it. I'd like to eventually have between 400-500 horsepower if that's helpful.
What does your 70 Dart have in it now?

When I put a 10 bolt in my Barracuda I bought a new Eaton carrier comes with a 30 spline Posi (like a 12 bolt carrier) and used the 12 bolt axle splined axles. The axles are the weak link in a 10 bolt. With the new carrier and and 30 spline axles I had no worries!!

the big plus.....Chevy parts are cheap!!:thumbsup:

-
Back