Going to look at a one owner 1970 Charger 500

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Got a call from another old retired fireman today about a car his mother bought brand new back in 1970. It is a 1970 Charger 500. She has long passed away and her son is in no position to do anything with it. Been sitting for 15-20 years. I just hope it is inside. I'm going this Thursday. I'll take some pictures and I'm going to try and buy it. Now I have no interest in taking on another project. So If anyone has interest in it. PM me about the car.

What color ?
My first car was a 70 Charger SE 383 magnum.

Sold it 2 yrs ago. Its behind my Barracuda in my avatar.

Good luck with the buy.
A,bb,dtdxmg;.JPG
My Charger is a 500 model, 318 originally. F8 green, green interior, white top. Not anymore though..

I missed a 69 Charger 500 for sale in the late 70s... A friend ended up with it.
Someone had installed a pop-up S/R in it. That was in Minneapolis.
There was another out here in Emmett Idaho that I couldnt get guy to sell in the 80s... he later did sell it.

500's came with 318's??
From something that I read somewhere recently, a scant few came with even the 225 slant six !
The 318 and 383 were the most common. NO 440 or Hemi in the 500 model though. It was not a performance option package, the 500 was a trim and appearance package like a "Sport" Satellite. It meant bucket seats, console, badging, a taillight trim panel and a few other things that I cannot recall.

Last edited:
From something that I read somewhere recently, a scant few came with even the 225 slant six !
The 318 and 383 were the most common. NO 440 or Hemi in the 500 model though. It was not a performance option package, the 500 was a trim and appearance package like a "Sport" Satellite. It meant bucket seats, console, badging, a taillight trim panel and a few other things that I cannot recall.

I have seen a few /6 1970s ... maybe 1 bench seat car which was most likely not a 500 pkg ....but I dont think there were many of those...
And of course there was that 70 Hemi R/T 4sp Super trac pack car a guy told me about but I assumed it would be way too much for me at the time (1999) only to find out the following year he bought it for 16,800 ! I am still sick about that one !
what a dumbass I was for not checking it out ! 1 owner car in Anaconda MT with 30k miles....

CHECK OUT EVERY LEAD !!!!

So there is a 90% chance of rain on Thursday, so I called the owner and went out to look at the car today. Car is in amazing condition, no visible body rust anywnere. owner told me he went with his mother to buy it back in 1970 when he was 16. Car is original and complete. 318 p/s , A/C , auto. No bubbling under the vinyl top, dutch man panel is nice, front medal around front windshield is sold. Hell even the dash pads are real nice. Will need a trunk pan. I couldn't look to well under the car but what I could see was solid. Man also told me it was undercoated and rust treated as in Ziebart. He drove it to where you see it in 2000. I said I wouldn't do another car but? It is a solid builder. Man said it was never wrecked and only had a small crease where his mom rubbed up against something repaired. I made an offer on it and he is going to let me know. Of course I won't know the condition of the underside till I can get it on my lift. Here are a few pictures.

1970 CHARGER 500.jpg

1970 CHARGER 500-3.jpg

1970 CHARGER 500-5.jpg

1970 CHARGER 500-9.jpg

Looks really nice, Roy. What are your plans if you get it? Good luck!

Paint job, 440 and done

Get it running and drive it everywhere! It's original and not a rotted pile of junk. Paint and an engine swap can get out of hand quick, just make it safe and reliable and enjoy it!

Looks really nice, Roy. What are your plans if you get it? Good luck!
Get it running and drive it everywhere! It's original and not a rotted pile of junk. Paint and an engine swap can get out of hand quick, just make it safe and reliable and enjoy it!
I'm leaning towards that idea. Make it safe and dependable and drive it.

Didn`t the 500`s have a laid down rear window or something ??

in 69 the 500 was special.. flush mount rear window and 68 coronet grill, minimum made for nascar rules. 440 or hemi were only engine options if i remember correctly.... in 70 it was just a trim package.

183962_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

1969-dodge-charger-500-front-three-quarter-alt-2.jpg

69 500s used a Coronet grill that was flush with the fenders , special wide windshield mouldings on the A-pillars , they used filler in the rear window void and had a shorter deck lid. All to make it more aerodynamic.
The 69 was the base for a Daytona to which they added a nose cone , 1970 hood and a rear wing.
Production for the 500 was less than ..Uh... 500.
Leter in the year they produced the Daytona ( Less than 500 made)
Only engines were 440-4 or Hemi... In 1970 the 500 moniker was used to attract buyers on a fairly base pkg.

The Superbird was based off RRs in 1970 and could be had with 440-4 , 440-6 and Hemi...2200ish built

It has the seldom seen racing mirror, same as used on A-bodies.

I want to say they were a mid-year option on '70 Chargers, what is the date on the door sticker?

So there is a 90% chance of rain on Thursday, so I called the owner and went out to look at the car today. Car is in amazing condition, no visible body rust anywnere. owner told me he went with his mother to buy it back in 1970 when he was 16. Car is original and complete. 318 p/s , A/C , auto. No bubbling under the vinyl top, dutch man panel is nice, front medal around front windshield is sold. Hell even the dash pads are real nice. Will need a trunk pan. I couldn't look to well under the car but what I could see was solid. Man also told me it was undercoated and rust treated as in Ziebart. He drove it to where you see it in 2000. I said I wouldn't do another car but? It is a solid builder. Man said it was never wrecked and only had a small crease where his mom rubbed up against something repaired. I made an offer on it and he is going to let me know. Of course I won't know the condition of the underside till I can get it on my lift. Here are a few pictures.

View attachment 1715263595

View attachment 1715263596

View attachment 1715263597

View attachment 1715263598
Straight up pure D jealous! I have been scouring the earth for a 68 as I love the round tail lights! Prices worse than any E body!

Cool. Hopefully the bottom is still intact. Looks like a cool car. If it's that solid, buff it and go. I would leave it "as is".

I can smell the mildew from here.
Florida car with A/C.
Go figure.
What's the little digital looking display thing above the steering column?

-
Back