Going To make a Change

-

340six

Reaction score
Right Now I have a 340 12.3 -1 Cpompresson Ported Comando Aluminium Heads 202/165's Stoke Stroke Forged Pistons, 536/549 Lift Cam Ya get the idea. It was a motor built nor fuir street but was what I had at the time.
So 340 stroker 422 10.88-1 Ported Edelbrock, Ported Six-Pack intake Inside best of everything.
Custom Soild Cam but still Streetable.
So not laking "Power by any Means" so loosing a15-20m HP is no biggie.
Going to swap motors and Ditch the Super Comps
Put on the Stock 1973 340 Manifolds that came on the car new. Ported Some {Cleaned Up} And will get Surfaced to get a good mating surface.
Will run 2.5" Head Pipes.
1} But need to make up my mind X-Pipe or H-Pipe?
2} Should I stick on some 2.5" Exhaust Cutouts I was gonna run with headers in the past?
or will it just sound Ugly when un-Corked without Headers?
will have good free flow muffs and full 2.5 tailpipes with factory type SS Tips out back

Thoughts?

X vs H will give you different tones but I doubt the performance difference will be noticeable, especially on the street. IIRC the H is better at equalizing pressure and has a smoother tone where the X is freer flowing and louder. Those cutouts are subjective - some like all that "noise" and some don't.. open headers are illegal in a lot of places so ya gots to be careful with them.

On my Dart with a moderate 360, the X pipes where quieter than the H pipe. On Engine Masters they tested H,X and strait pipes. A nice caparison.

I wouldn't run a stroker through stock manifolds

Well the FAST Guys Do It.
I am just about Done with the high Compression Stock Stoke Beast.
Car was Finished December 2004 January 2005. Has not that amnyMiles was shown plenty and trailered everyplace.
But has many hours of "Run Time" never ever had a pipe or muffler ever.
With the Motor Swap going to Manifolds from Super Comps.
So the real deal here is H or X and how does open "Cutouts Sound with Head-Pipes and some form of Crossover be it H or X if I was to open it roght after the crossover.
Was Hoping someone has done such a thing?
A little power loss is OK.
FYI} The orginal plan with the present 340 was to:
Hooker Super Comps.
Dr. Gas X-Pipe right off the Supers 3" into X and 2.5" out.
Into 2.5" Cut Outs
Into 2.5" FlowMasters
Into 2.5 Accurate Tail Pipes
And out of Accurate SS Factory tips
I have all the above on hand but never installed. Just the Supers}
Keep in mind it has been together all this time and never really driven.
So it will "Be Driven Some" but not like a driver. Time to enjoy it some.
Been to lots of shows on TV etc. Just spent over a year refreshing up stuff.

If going with stock exhaust mannys have em extrude honed and port matched to the heads. You will lose some power but your right the F.A.S.T. guys do it. They just build em with a bit more power to offset that bottleneck.

If going with stock exhaust mannys have em extrude honed and port matched to the heads. You will lose some power but your right the F.A.S.T. guys do it. They just build em with a bit more power to offset that bottleneck.
A lot of the F.A.S.T. guys run stroker engines too.
Just think of how good they would perform if they added headers and some slicks.............

Let me clarify, If you are class racing and can run a stroker but can't run headers then go with the manifolds. Otherwise I wouldn't.

The don’t care what the F.A.S.T guys do!
1: There not driving the street all the time.
2: Even if they are, I bet that there actual “Fast” car has headers.
3: Running exhaust manifolds is a serious HP loss.
Sorry, I meant to say it is a MAJOR loss.
A lot more than 20hp!

A 2-1/2 sized exhaust system is good for the street in most cases for a good balance between quietness & power.

The X pipe is the smoothest sounding.
The H pipe is a little louder and gives that muscle car chop rhythm.
Power wise they should be considered equal.

A lot of the F.A.S.T. guys run stroker engines too.
Just think of how good they would perform if they added headers and some slicks.............
Hurts the feelings of those with big cams, headers ..etc. to get outrun with manifolds, full exhaust and bias ply tires:lol:

The engines are blueprinted to the max as well, a lot of careful machining and assembly go into these engines, just like the N.H.R.A. stock class..............
The engines, transmissions, rear end, and suspension are all scienced out to work in concert with each other given the class rules and restrictions.

-
Back