Going to play lotto 440

-

71DonutDuster

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I purchased a 1973 440 block and 727 for 400 dollars. After looking for months, found it at a neighbors house that backs up to my house. He also has high performance heads for 50 dollars. I bought those as well. Ran numbers and they are 64 stage III Max Wedge heads. I want to use these but don’t know what else is needed...please help

E69272C4-7C4F-4FE9-A678-178387638C28.jpeg

Those are possibly not Stage III heads Max Wedge heads. "516" are a mid 60's, closed chamber run of the mill heads found on 361's, 383', maybe 413's and possibly some 66-67 440's. They have 2.08 intake and 1.60" valves. There are better stock B/RB heads but it depends on what your doing with the 440.

"518" Stage III Max Wedge heads are a whole other deal. Got a picture of the ports and the whole head?

First thing you would need would be a max wedge port intake manifold. The max wedge heads have taller Intake ports.

Those are possibly not Stage III heads Max Wedge heads. "516" are a mid 60's, closed chamber run of the mill heads found on 361's, 383', maybe 413's and possibly some 66-67 440's. They have 2.08 intake and 1.60" valves. There are better stock B/RB heads but it depends on what your doing with the 440.

"518" Stage III Max Wedge heads are a whole other deal. Got a picture of the ports and the whole head?

looks like 518 on the casting number to me

If you got all the parts for those heads. Personally I would have them checked to make sure they're good, insert bigger exhaust valves in them (1.60 to 1.74?) and run them.

Last edited:
MW stage lll should have 2.08 in. and 1.88 exh. valves if in stock form.

Looking at other 518 heads the part number is cast on the combustion chamber side of the head and not on the rocker side. But Ma did some things different from time to time.

The more I look at that pic the more I think dano
is right. If we could see if they have a heat crossover passage then we would know they are 516 heads.

Just a run of the mill closed chamber head.

Jake

Looking to make a driver out of 71 duster with the 440. Going to take motor apart tomorrow and get ready for machine shop. This is a 73 block is there anything I should be doing and how much HP should I shoot for???

Looking to make a driver out of 71 duster with the 440. Going to take motor apart tomorrow and get ready for machine shop. This is a 73 block is there anything I should be doing and how much HP should I shoot for???

How much money you got to spend on it?

Well I am doing a complete resto. First time. Just bought trunk pan and quarters and installed floor pans. Been taking to bare metal and spraying epoxy primer. All of the supplies for this has cost a good amount trying to do engine as economical as possible. Never built a motor before but I have a guy who is going to help me 70 year old man who has been rebuilding engines his whole life... just really want to get er done and be able to drive. Can update some after but don’t want to skip on things while the engine is out of car... would love to be at 500 hp. What do I need for that or how much cash is that going to take...

U will need pistons, a good intake and carb, cam and lifters and I recommend aluminum heads. The cast heads can be fixed up but will cost will be pretty much the same as 440 source Stealth heads. Ur heads are not hi po heads, but the bottom of the bucket heads. Keep in mind that anything new needs a good going over to make sure their useable. Kim

U will need pistons, a good intake and carb, cam and lifters and I recommend aluminum heads. The cast heads can be fixed up but will cost will be pretty much the same as 440 source Stealth heads. Ur heads are not hi po heads, but the bottom of the bucket heads. Keep in mind that anything new needs a good going over to make sure their useable. Kim

TRICKFLOW 240 ALUM. HEADS , READY TO GO AND GREAT FLOW , U MIGHT SPEND THAT MUCH ON AN INFERIOR HEAD AND STILL HAVE B.S. ---------JMO .

I will taking the motor apart this afternoon so I will be able to check the heads that are mounted right now. What should I do to the block and bottom end before installing? I can always upgrade heads and intake later with engine in car. Just want to get it going without breaking the bank. Would like to put efi on later. Fitech kit. Gonna pull slant six this weekend if I get the time. Thanks for all the replies. I will let you guys know what I find tonight.

Also this is going into Plymouth duster and do not want to cut the good for clearance. Is there any good rule of thumb as far intakes go?

Keep in mind that with larger cams you will need to change the converter. So be thinking overall package, your goal with the car and budget. So with that what do you intend to do with the car and what are you willing to spend? Are you assembling the motor yourself?

Be aware, Chrysler made a change to the thrust bearing around 1973. They do not interchange.

TRICKFLOW 240 ALUM. HEADS , READY TO GO AND GREAT FLOW , U MIGHT SPEND THAT MUCH ON AN INFERIOR HEAD AND STILL HAVE B.S. ---------JMO .
The Trickflow 240 is a good head OTB for sure.
But unless the OP is shoot for 500+ HP with supporting components, a Stealth head would be more economical for a milder build.

-
Back